Windows 10: Windows 10 1803 Main User Account suddenly missing, Switch User not available

Discus and support Windows 10 1803 Main User Account suddenly missing, Switch User not available in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is an old HP Pavillion DV7 Laptop that I still get good use out of with Visual Studio 2017. Summary: the "Main" User Account only appeared to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jay Bowden, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 1803 Main User Account suddenly missing, Switch User not available

This is an old HP Pavillion DV7 Laptop that I still get good use out of with Visual Studio 2017.

Summary: the "Main" User Account only appeared to be missing, and was able to be restored easily with all files intact, but NOT with anything I found searching Microsoft Forums!

One day I power-up, and the sign-on screen I am used to seeing is NOT AVAILABLE: it ONLY shows me a "spare" login user name I created on each of my computers years ago "just in case". I CAN log in with this User Name but the Desktop has none of the many shortcuts I created working under my "MAIN" User Name that is associated with an email address (perhaps also known as my Microsoft Account). I cannot Switch User AT ALL in any of the 5 ways I learn about via searches.

I also come to believe I have recently enjoyed an upgrade to Windows 10 1803 (Windows+R then winver).

Reading some people have panicked thinking the update deleted all their files, I dig around and confirm that the Desktop for my MAIN User account is still intact at C:\Users\MYUSERACCOUNTNAME\Desktop and all my precious icons leading to all my Recent file links in various apps are probably still OK....if only I could RESTORE the MAIN User Name account I was using.

I do some searching for MISSING USER ACCOUNTS and learn to use (Windows+R netplwiz).

Here I am comforted to see that my MAIN User Name still exists in some form. (In the following, exact order may be importantWindows 10 1803 Main User Account suddenly missing, Switch User not available :) I highlight the email address User Account in the list, and click on the Properties button then look at the Group Membership tab. WHAT? It is NEITHER Standard User nor Administrator, but is Other with the field contents empty and gray.

That can't be right! I simple-mindedly try setting it to Administrator, then re-boot.

NOW I AM ABLE TO SWITCH USER! At the Sign In I switch back to my MAIN User Account, and I can log in with my Microsoft Account password, and I get back my crowded Desktop thank goodness!

Now if only I had not pursued a dozen mis-directs in the process of finding this solution I would be a god!

I hope this saves someone else a lot of time!
    I cannot prove I am golden in all my apps but I can compile my VS2017 code at least. And I cannot prove it was the 1803 update that did it, but IMHO it is a crime the way MS "locks" threads after a couple of months with bad hyper-complex suggestions that have not led to a solution!

:)

Jay Bowden, Sep 5, 2018

2. Missing Windows 10 user account

My system administrator user account, which is shown as being active when using the "net user", is NOT listed as a account I can switch or log-on to. In other words, my windows boot-up screen does not list that account, nor does any account setting screen
    show that user name, yet the lower level "net user <username>" command shows that account as existing AND as being active.

This is what I have tried to fix the problem (to no avail):

1. Using the "net user <username> /ACTIVE:yes|no" command to toggle it non-active and active. (Activating the normally hidden "Administrator" user caused that username to now appear as a user to switch or log-on to).

2. Doing a system restore back to a point where I know that account username was listed. Doing this had no effect, the account was still listed as active with the "net user <username>" command but missing from the list of accounts to switch or log-on to.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Tim_Schenkel, Sep 5, 2018
  3. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Sep 5, 2018
  4. Windows 10 1803 Main User Account suddenly missing, Switch User not available

Cant switch users in Windows 10

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

Please share a few details:

• What exactly happens when you try to switch users?

• Do you receive any error message/code?

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to Switch users.

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key altogether.

• Click on Switch User.

• Select the user with which you want to login.

If computer starts up with a user other than the one you want, login to that user account and switch user to the account that you need and check.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 1803 Main User Account suddenly missing, Switch User not available

1. Windows 10 1803 Main User Account suddenly missing, Switch User not available - Similar Threads - 1803 Main User

2. User account missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User account missing: Hello,I just opened my personal laptop for the first time in a week. Upon booting up, my user profile the only user profile I have ever used on this laptop was missing. The only option I have is to log in as New User with a bar to type in a password. My prior pin and my...
  3. User accounts missing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User accounts missing?: Hello! I created a user account on my father in laws computer however when I went to try to log in, I couldn’t access any accounts in the Home Screen. So I deleted thinking it may have been the issue. Now I can not log out of the Standard user account I am in and no other...
  4. Switch User option missing - Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switch User option missing - Windows 10: Problem: Switch User option missing in login screen. I have 4 user accounts on my computer, 2 of which are administrators. I was using one local non-admin account, and when I tried to switch accounts on the login page, I couldn't find the options for the other accounts....
  5. Changing main account user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing main account user: I am trying to change the main account user on my laptop but the individual who owned the computer previously does not remember the password, how do I go about deleting her account?...
  6. Missing Windows 10 user account

Missing Windows 10 user account: My system administrator user account, which is shown as being active when using the "net user", is NOT listed as a account I can switch or log-on to. In other words, my windows boot-up screen does not list that account, nor does any account setting screen show that user...
  7. Windows 10 User Account Missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 User Account Missing: My windows 10 user account is missing from the login screen. I saw that you can fix it by going in to the command prompt, but in order to do that or restore windows i need the windows 10 password, which I don't remember because I only use the pin. I logged in to my Microsoft...
  8. User account switch

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account switch: Hello, I have set up a new Microsoft account for my son and added him to my Family account to enable him to use the home PC. Whilst using my laptop to change some of his account details and restrictions, I have somehow assigned his Microsoft account to my laptop user profile....
  9. Main User Account missing, I need to restore

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Main User Account missing, I need to restore: I don't know what I did but the main user account (and another) is missing at the login screen. I managed to create an administrator's account which is visible but I can't see the other user accounts at login or in the user accounts control panel. I've activated and verified...
  10. switch user button missing windows 10

switch user button missing windows 10: switch user button missing windows 10 how do I fix this? windows key + L and ctrl alt delete do not fix this I have to log out before logging in to another account please fix....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 switch user account missing

2. windows 10 switch account missing

3. windows 10 missing switch user button

4. main windows user account disappeared,
  5. switch user not available,
  6. windows 10 main account missing,
  7. windows 10 switch user 1803,
  8. user account disappeared windows 10