Windows 10: Windows 10 1803 on "older" devices

Discus and support Windows 10 1803 on "older" devices in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi @all, I'm wondering what Microsoft did with the last Windows Update. On my mother's laptop, nothing works anymore. After the windows boot logo,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by martinjohannes93, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Windows 10 1803 on "older" devices

Hi @all,

I'm wondering what Microsoft did with the last Windows Update. On my mother's laptop, nothing works anymore. After the windows boot logo, the device hangs in an infinite black screen and won't start. I tried to shut down the laptop multiple times to get into the troubleshoot menu, tried to press F8, but nothing worked. So I decided to boot from a USB Stick with Ubuntu. I backed up all her files. After that, I used the same USB Stick and used Microsoft MediaCreation Tool to download the recent version of Windows 10 (1803). But still no success. Like the Windows Version installed on her HDD (it's not an SSD), the PC hangs up after the boot logo. So I thought, that there might be some issues with the BIOS and I installed the newest version. Tested several boot options, e. g. UEFI and legacy boot and used the tool ISO2Disc to create a GPT Version and a MBR Version. Still no success. On other devices, I was able to boot all 3 Versions (MediaCreation Tool, ISO2Disc UEFI, ISO2Disc MBR). I thought, that there might be some trouble with the HW, so I started Ubuntu again. I used testdisk to test her HDD, but after a deeper analysis, it had no errors to fix. The NTFS partition looked pretty good and again, I had no issues when I backed up all her files. I also run memtest overnight, but even with 10 passes, there wasn't any error. So the only thing that I can imagine right now is, that the device has some drivers which worked pretty fine on older Win 10 versions but aren't supported anymore. For some reasons, that I can't understand. I can't understand why Microsoft installs an update on a device when the device won't get any support anymore. It's not customer-friendly at all. But the thing is, it's definitely not the fastest laptop, but still not old. Only 2 or 3 years. Ubuntu from my USB Stick worked like a charm. Here some specs:

Core i3-4005U, 500 GB HDD, 8 GB DDR3-1600, Intel OnBoard GPU. Again, not the fastest device anymore, especially because it doesn't have a dedicated gpu, but I don't see a reason, why it shouldn't work. Even as I burned the image on a DVD because her Laptop (ASUS P2520LA) has a DVD drive, I had no success. So what the hell did Microsoft with the last update? The hardware seems to be okay, memtest/testdisk showed no errors and I'm able to boot different Live CDs, but not the Win 10 installation medium. Is there a chance to get an older Win 10 ISO anywhere? I'm pretty sure that older versions will work. Or does anybody have an idea how to revert the last update to 1803?

Thanks in advance and please excuse my bad english, I'm not a native speaker Windows 10 1803 on "older" devices ;)

:)

martinjohannes93, Sep 17, 2018

2. Windows 10 1803 doesn't play nice with some Intel SSDs

Legit Reviews is reporting that Windows 10 1803 has issues with some Intel SSDs, specifically their 600p series: "When attempting to upgrade to Window 10 April 2018 Update select devices with certain Intel SSDs may enter a UEFI screen reboot or crash repeatedly." Microsoft and/or Intel are working on a fix.

Static~Charge, Sep 17, 2018
  3. Drone Win User
    emulate (gpu device id/older gpu) for older games

Older games? Dead Space 2 was released when there was alpha/beta Windows 8 (which run that game flawlessly btw).

If Windows 10 can run it then 7 should too. Go update your drivers

Drone, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Windows 10 1803 on "older" devices

Windows 10 1803 doesn't play nice with some Intel SSDs

Wintel-Lose

eidairaman1, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 1803 on "older" devices

1. Windows 10 1803 on "older" devices - Similar Threads - 1803 older devices

2. Using Older Device Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using Older Device Driver: Since the 20h2 update my Elgato Capture Card has been having issues. Elgato's recommendation was to use an older driver. Windows won't let me install the older driver. In the Advanced System Setting, I check "NO" for the auto download but if I uninstall the driver and...
  3. Older "version" of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Older "version" of windows 10: When I first upgraded to windows 10 pro from windows 7 using Microsoft media creation tool, windows 10 that was installed was the newest versionwith microsoft edge, white search bar and cortana on the task bar and all. After sometime that version was corruptedlagging a lot...
  4. Your device is running an older version of Windows 10—Scam or Genuine?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Your device is running an older version of Windows 10—Scam or Genuine?: I opened Edge today and got this message: "Your device is running an older version of Windows 10. To continue to receive security updates and enjoy the latest features Windows 10 has to offer, you need to update your device to a newer version of Windows 10," and I downloaded...
  5. Microsoft now auto updating Windows 10 version 1803 and older to 1903

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft now auto updating Windows 10 version 1803 and older to 1903: We are initiating the Windows 10 May 2019 Update for customers with devices that are at or nearing end of service and have not yet updated their device. Keeping these devices both supported and receiving monthly updates is critical to device security and ecosystem health....
  6. Microsoft blocks Windows 10 version 1903 on older Mac devices

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft blocks Windows 10 version 1903 on older Mac devices: Earlier today, Microsoft announced that it has blocked the Windows 10 1903 update on older Mac devices or newer Mac with outdated Apple Boot Camp software. This move affects Windows 10 owners who installed the operating system on a Mac device introduced before 2012 or those...
  7. Bluetooth connectivity with older devices and new devices

Bluetooth connectivity with older devices and new devices: I have a new Samsung Galaxy .... smartphone, old laptop with updated Window 10 Edge, a large old Vizio tv that I'm using now as my monitor, an old Samgung air bar wireless mouse and keyboard, old pc speakers with woofer a sony smarttv in the bedroom. I'm a mess of old stuff...
  8. App Volume and Device Preferences not persistent (Windows 10 1803)

in Windows 10 Customization
    App Volume and Device Preferences not persistent (Windows 10 1803): With the release of Windows 10 1803, I noticed that a virtual audio routing option had been added into the sound preferences to adjust the output device that a particular application should use when applications (like Spotify) that don't let you locally define the output...
  9. Unbootable state for AMD devices in Windows 10 Version 1803

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unbootable state for AMD devices in Windows 10 Version 1803: Hi. I believe we were caught up in that Spectre and Meltdown chip bug fix, where my daughter's older computer would not boot after I updated her Windows 10 install. I rolled back past the update that caused the issue and turned off automatic updates. I thought I had read...
  10. Windows 10 on older Dell?

Windows 10 on older Dell?: With the recent purchase of a new XPS13, I find myself with an older laptop at my disposal. . .my reliable XPS13, L501X model. It's been a workhorse, problem free, for about 6 years. It's always run Windows 7 Pro. It's has an i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WINDOWS 10 1903 ON OLDER DEVICES