Windows 10: Windows 10 1803 x64 update takes extremely long or hangs

Discus and support Windows 10 1803 x64 update takes extremely long or hangs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to perform Windows update on a brand new MS Surface Book 2 that is pre-installed with Windows 10 1709. I have to apparently first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by scorcho, Jun 25, 2019.

1. scorcho Win User

Windows 10 1803 x64 update takes extremely long or hangs

Hi,

I'm trying to perform Windows update on a brand new MS Surface Book 2 that is pre-installed with Windows 10 1709. I have to apparently first install 1803 before I can get to the latest build 1903. However, it is consistently hanging during installation. I've tried rebooting, safe mode and deleting all files in c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download and then restarting, but it's either extremely slow (stuck at "Installing" 91% the first time and now 89% for more than half an hour) or just plain hung (I can't tell since there's no indication).

Again, this is a BRAND NEW Surface Book 2, which is a MICROSOFT HARDWARE product if I might add, so I have no idea why it fails.

I've read comments from other posts that the 1803 update should take like 10 mins to install. Why does mine take so long, and how can I resolve it?

:)

scorcho, Jun 25, 2019
  2. scorcho Win User

Hi,

I'm trying to perform Windows update on a brand new MS Surface Book 2 that is pre-installed with Windows 10 1709. I have to apparently first install 1803 before I can get to the latest build 1903. However, it is consistently hanging during installation.
    I've tried rebooting, safe mode and deleting all files in c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download and then restarting, but it's either extremely slow (stuck at "Installing" 91% the first time and now 89% for more than half an hour) or just plain hung (I can't
    tell since there's no indication).

Again, this is a BRAND NEW Surface Book 2, which is a MICROSOFT HARDWARE product if I might add, so I have no idea why it fails.

I've read comments from other posts that the 1803 update should take like 10 mins to install. Why does mine take so long, and how can I resolve it?

scorcho, Jun 25, 2019
  3. kastriot Win User
    Windows 10 1803 update issues(Solved!)

I have Asus P6T Deluxe V2 with X5650 and after this update system would hang at blue boot logo, i decided to restore bios defaults and then update continued normaly, when everything was done i decided to restore my oc-ed bios settings but win would hang again at blue logo so i started to disable options in bios until i disabled in "Intel VT-d configuration" option "Enable VT-d" after that system would boot normaly and interesting thing is that this is disabled in default bios but i enabled it long time ago, but like i said this is happening only with 1803 update.

kastriot, Jun 25, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 10 April 2018 Update(SCU) Partially Breaks MKV File Support?

Yeah, they play perfectly fine.

Thanks, this did the trick perfectly!

I'm scratching my head then, because so far every computer I update to 1803, even fresh installs, can no longer read the details of mkv files. But at least icaros fixes the problem for now. Hopefully the bug is fixed in Windows natively eventually.

newtekie1, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1803 x64 update takes extremely long or hangs - Similar Threads - 1803 x64 update

2. extremely long updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extremely long updates: My computer runs on an Intel I7 8700 processor with 8 cores and a 3GHz clock rate, yet I'm seeing updates for Windows 11 Home that take what I think are excessively long times, of the order of 30 minutes or more. Is this unusual?...
  3. extremely long updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    extremely long updates: My computer runs on an Intel I7 8700 processor with 8 cores and a 3GHz clock rate, yet I'm seeing updates for Windows 11 Home that take what I think are excessively long times, of the order of 30 minutes or more. Is this unusual?...
  4. Update Windows 10 1803 x64

in Windows 10 Customization
    Update Windows 10 1803 x64: After 10 trials, update is not possible for the next programs: KB45160158 KB4514357 KB4512501 KB4507435 KB4023057 I have download these programs from Microsoft Catalog, and they run apparently without problems, but when I restart and update is obliguing, the result after...
  5. Windows 10 update ver 1803 x64 problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 update ver 1803 x64 problems: I have had major problems with the last update I made to Win 10. Now, after the reinstallation, I am having connection problems on certain websites. I have tried several tutorials on these problems, which include the use of a troubleshooting tool, resetting my modem and...
  6. Windows 10 update is taking so long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update is taking so long: My computer is updating from win 7 to win 10 And its taking 10 hours also its freeze at 75% for 3 hours now.....is it normal or is it bad?(sorry for my bad english though :P)...
  7. Restarting system taking extremely long time

in Windows 10 Support
    Restarting system taking extremely long time: Hello forum. I purchased an all in one Desktop which is running windows 10 home. Because this was a display model, the salesperson told me I'd have to restart the system in order to delete all the stuff which had been installed while on display, various apps and software. So...
  8. My Laptop takes Extremely long to Connect to Ethernet

My Laptop takes Extremely long to Connect to Ethernet: My HP Pavilion dv6 doesn't take long to establish a 2.4 GHz connection to wifi, but ethernet takes forever. I want to use an ethernet connection because my download speed jumps from 50 mbps to 120. Iknow it is not a hardware issue because my ASUS desktop can connect using the...
  9. Windows 10 update ver 1803 x64 problems

Windows 10 update ver 1803 x64 problems: I have had major problems with the last update I made to Win 10. After talking to the help desk my computer was accessed remotely yesterday by a Microsoft agent and they reinstalled Win10 to my computer to fix update errors that I could not fix. Now after the reinstall I am...
  10. restarting after update is taking extremely long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    restarting after update is taking extremely long time: last time after update 1511 i tried restarting my laptop was 1 hour please help me 43413