Windows 10: Windows 10 1809 installs outside selected disk

Discus and support Windows 10 1809 installs outside selected disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a problem installing Windows 10 1809. I have 4 hard drives in my setup. Drive 1 OS Drive 2 Files Drive 3 Programs Drive 4 Backup During... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tonycst, Mar 21, 2019.

1. tonycst Win User

Windows 10 1809 installs outside selected disk

I have a problem installing Windows 10 1809.

I have 4 hard drives in my setup.

Drive 1 OS

Drive 2 Files

Drive 3 Programs

Drive 4 Backup

During installation, i delete every partition on drive Drive 1 OS and continue with the installation.

Typically, windows installation would create 2 partitions, System Reserved and normal C partition.

This was the case with all windows versions prior to 1809 (except some Windows 7 versions while back)

As usual, i deleted every partition from Drive 1 119gb and then proceeded with installation.

After installation i went into setup again to see what changed.

Image below is a result of that process.

It allocated 500+mb for System Reserved on a completely different drive and it made rest of the drive unreadable.

Drive 2 doe shave partition 2 but its encrypted so its not showing correctly here.

Windows installer assumed that drive had no allocated space and created System Reserved partition effectively destroying encrypted partition (thank you very much !!!!)

Windows 10 1809 installs outside selected disk be65a382-9f75-41f0-a146-8a2ca8befc21?upload=true.jpg

So next step i did was, i restarted installation process from a scratch.

Deleted all partitions from BOTH drives just to be safe and restarted installation again to make sure its all updated (as if it didnt, but anyway)

And this is what i see next.

As expected, i see 2 drives with no partitions so thats good (bad considering my entire encrypted drive was destroyed by System Reserved created earlier)

Windows 10 1809 installs outside selected disk 970a4e01-3247-41d7-b48b-10948844749b?upload=true.jpg

So i proceed with the installation to selected drive.

Result was different this time.

This time there is NO System Reserved partition.

This time bootloader was installed to Drive 3 Partition 1. Why ?

Why Windows decided to install boot loader to a completely different drive ?

Why not use the same drive where OS is installed ?

So System Reserved partition is not needed at all ? It seems to work without it.

I have seen this behavior in Windows 7 while back and i have no idea what causes it.

Look at what i have now.

Windows 10 1809 installs outside selected disk 97bd4de4-53cd-4836-a7fb-b0324bf6165a?upload=true.jpg

I now have Disk 3 as System. Disk 2 says its boot but boot folder is in Disk 3. Boot folders does not exist on C drive Disk 2 and there is no System Reserved anywhere (not that i care about it anyway)

I did not have this problem with previous build of Windows 10.

I did not want to UPDATE, i just downloaded the later build and install from a scratch because Updates break everything.

Whats going on ?

:)

tonycst, Mar 21, 2019
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 21, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 21, 2019
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1809 installs outside selected disk - Similar Threads - 1809 installs outside

2. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...: Hi members, I'm installing fresh windows 10 on my HP laptop, I have formated the previous windows disk for a clean installation, But now it's showing me that windows cannot be installed on this disk because the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.Is there any possible...
  3. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...: Hi members, I'm installing fresh windows 10 on my HP laptop, I have formated the previous windows disk for a clean installation, But now it's showing me that windows cannot be installed on this disk because the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.Is there any possible...
  4. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Installation disk selection error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation disk selection error: I have already tried all sata configuration... Ahci, ide, raid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-disk-selection-error/c79f59eb-4680-4483-8fc8-e3986fd08abf
  6. Installation disk selection error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installation disk selection error: I have already tried all sata configuration... Ahci, ide, raid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-disk-selection-error/c79f59eb-4680-4483-8fc8-e3986fd08abf
  7. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style": [ATTACH] Hello everyone/anyone willing to help. I'll try to summarize everything as concisely as possible. (It'll be kinda all over the place sorry!) I have 3 storage drives. One 1TB SSD Samsung Evo 860, one Seagate 1TB HDD, and one 256GB M.2 SSD. The SSD I currently have...
  8. windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style: I want to install win 10 to my ASUS Laptop but when i selected disk or partition, windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style. How to install Win 10 in my Laptop, please and thank you ?...
  9. Windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk

Windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk: Hello my friends, I keep getting an error when I install Windows 7. I want to install Windows 7 alongside Windows 10. windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk is of the gpt partition style I read solutions to this and most of them write I must format...
  10. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is yadayad

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is yadayad: So basically I'm trying to boot an ISO to windows 10 home and I used Rufus for it. Idk if I used for wrong settings but it says: the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks. 29800