Windows 10: Windows 10 1809: Quick Removal new default for external storage devices

Discus and support Windows 10 1809: Quick Removal new default for external storage devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft changed the default removal policy for external storage devices in Windows 10 version 1809 to quick removal. Two removal policies are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 8, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 1809: Quick Removal new default for external storage devices

Microsoft changed the default removal policy for external storage devices in Windows 10 version 1809 to quick removal.

Two removal policies are supported for external storage devices in Microsoft's Windows operating system: quick removal and better performance.

Quick removal is the safer option as it ensures that devices can be disconnected from the Windows PC directly. Better performance improves performance but requires that users need to use the "Safely remove hardware" option before they unplug external storage devices. Failure to do so may lead to data loss.

Better Performance has been the default but Microsoft switched the default to Quick Removal in Windows 10 version 1809.

Windows defines two main policies, Quick removal and Better performance, that control how the system interacts with external storage devices such as USB thumb drives or Thunderbolt-enabled external drives. Beginning in Windows 10 version 1809, the default policy is Quick removal.

The company published a new support article -- six months after the initial release of Windows 10 version 1809 -- that describes the change that has been made.

Windows 10: Setting up removal policies

Windows 10 1809: Quick Removal new default for external storage devices windows-usb-quick-removal-better-performance.png

You can switch the removal policy from quick removal to better performance. Doing so may improve the performance when the device is used but it may lead to data loss if the device is not disconnected properly from the Windows PC.

Here is how you can change the removal policy on Windows 10:

1. Connect the storage device to the Windows PC.
    2. Use Windows-X to display the admin menu.
    3. Select Disk Management from the options.
    4. Right-click on the label of the external storage device in the lower section of the Disk Management interface and select Properties from the context menu.
    5. Switch to the Policies tab.
    6. Select "quick removal" or "better performance".
      1. Optional: select "enable write caching on the device to improve system performance. Note that this may lead to data loss in the case of a power outage and other scenarios.
    7. Select ok to complete the process.

Windows remembers the setting for each storage device and uses it automatically. Just remember that you need to select the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon in the System Tray area when you want to remove devices if you select Better Performance.

Now You: Better Performance or Quick Removal, what is your preferred setting? (via Deskmodder)

Related articles

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 1809: Quick Removal new default for external storage devices appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 8, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 8, 2019
  3. Update Assistant does not detect External Storage Device

I am currently facing an issue with the update assistant. The problem comes from the prompt as seen from this webpage

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-10-freeing-up-space-to-install-latest-update

The issue is in "Step 2: Connect an external storage device". It says to
    "Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list" but the external storage device already connected to my device (and shows up on My PC) is not shown on the drop down list. Can you help?

Windows 10 1809: Quick Removal new default for external storage devices c6321704-8541-466f-88a9-ab5e75fbdf04?upload=true.png

Haziq Jamaludin, Apr 8, 2019
  4. Windows 10 1809: Quick Removal new default for external storage devices

External Drive using storage spaces does not work on my new Win 10 PC?

Hi Leo,

Storage Spaces not only increase storage over time as you add drivers to your PC, it will also help you in protecting your data from drive failures. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know if you were getting any error messages when trying
    to connect the external drive to your new PC. Also, can you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to perform a diagnostic process on your system that will check and fix issues related to Storage Spaces. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar, then press
      Enter.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Furthermore, here is a link for more information about the Storage
    Spaces in Windows 10

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 1809: Quick Removal new default for external storage devices

1. Windows 10 1809: Quick Removal new default for external storage devices - Similar Threads - 1809 Quick Removal

2. windows 10 tool wiped external storage device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 tool wiped external storage device: I have had to spend over £100 to buy a new storage device after windowns 10 download destroyed my storage device of years. I m using a recovery tool to restore it onto a new storage device. however i am concerned it will do the same to the new device as soon as the recovery...
  3. windows 10 tool wiped external storage device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 tool wiped external storage device: I have had to spend over £100 to buy a new storage device after windowns 10 download destroyed my storage device of years. I m using a recovery tool to restore it onto a new storage device. however i am concerned it will do the same to the new device as soon as the recovery...
  4. windows 10 tool wiped external storage device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search in external storage device

in Cortana
    Search in external storage device: How can I search a word in documents that are in an external storage device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-external-storage-device/8d5abdd3-c417-47cd-9f15-8449fe238e3e
  6. Change in default removal policy for external storage media in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change in default removal policy for external storage media in Windows 10: My newly installed Windows 10 does not save my changes to the removal policy. When I change the policy to better performance for my Seagate Expansion drive and then safely remove the drive, the policy is changed back to Quick Disconnect when I reattach the drive. I have...
  7. Windows 10 Update using an external storage device

Windows 10 Update using an external storage device: My HP notebook does not have enough space to allow an update of Windows 10. There is a note on the Update assistant that I need to connect an external storage device, which I did. But the assistant seems to not recognize the device. What is it that I am doing wrong? Roland...
  8. Using External Storage Device for Windows Update

Using External Storage Device for Windows Update: I have Windows Update Assistant to update Windows 10. The laptop I am using has a 28 GB hard drive so even after using disk cleanup and moving files I won't be able to get 8GB free, at least without drastic changes such as uninstalling Office.. Supposedly one can attach a...
  9. Hitachi External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hitachi External Storage Device: Cannot get my Hatachi External Storage device to be recognized, using plug and play. Is there a driver that I need to download? If so, where can I find it?...
  10. How to make Quick Removal as Default

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make Quick Removal as Default: I would like to make Quick Removal option as Default. Currently I am building a WES7P image. thanks. [img] 120852

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 1809 quick access problem quick access already set up