Windows 10: Windows 10 1903 - Audio Line-In won't switch with Default Audio Device

Discus and support Windows 10 1903 - Audio Line-In won't switch with Default Audio Device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since upgrading to 1903, my two line-in audio signals won't change whenever I switch the default playback device. This is my setup: Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by monotony, Oct 29, 2019.

1. monotony Win User

Windows 10 1903 - Audio Line-In won't switch with Default Audio Device

Since upgrading to 1903, my two line-in audio signals won't change whenever I switch the default playback device.

This is my setup:

• Windows 10 Pro 1903 System Build 18362.418
    • Realtek ALC1220 onboard audio chipset
    • two playback devices (speakers & headphones)
    • two line-in devices (front mic used as line-in and back line-in for video game console and second pc audio)
    • one usb audio soundcard with only microphone line-in used

Both line-in devices ignore any change to the default playback device up until reboot, whether I do this via script or manually. All other sound is forwarded to the correct audio device, as intended. I've tried three different audio drivers. I've also tested the usb audio soundcard line-in and it's the same result, even though it's a completely different sound device. This is why I'm absolutely certain that this is a Windows issue and not related to drivers. My research led me to this user, who had the exact same issue with the creators update in 2016. Sadly, without any solution for the issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-line-in-audio-no-longer-honors-the/5c10bedb-c4a5-432c-af07-c384352b9067

These Reddit users have from the same problem, aswell:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/d1ua7u/linein_audio_will_not_follow_default_playback/

:)

monotony, Oct 29, 2019
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Switching between bluetooth audio devices.

Thank you for the information.

Try doing the following steps below to switch between your audio devices:

For Windows 10, 1607 version:

• Click on the sound icon in the notification area.
    • Click Select playback device.
    • Select the audio device you want to use from the menu.

For previous versions of Windows:

• Right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area.
    • Click Select Playback devices to select your preferred/default speaker.
    • Click on Playback tab to see the list of the devices.
    • Right-click on the preferred device then select Enable.
    • To make the device as your default audio, right-click on the chosen device then select
      Set as Default Device.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Arjay Dom, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Default Audio device does not switch in Windows 10

Hello Pamela,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

To be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• What is the make and model of the laptop you are using?
    • How did you upgrade to Windows 10? Was it through Windows update settings or via Media Creation Tool?
    • Did you install the latest drivers form the audio device installed in your laptop?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter. This is a diagnostic which helps to identify any potential audio related issues present in your PC.

a) Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b) Click on Troubleshooting
    tab.

c) Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d) Select the Playing Audio
    option from the list.

e) Click Next to run the Troubleshooter.

Note: Also perform the Hardware and Device troubleshooter from the
    view all list.

Now, follow the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

I would suggest you to try setting the speakers as default and check if the issue persists.

a. Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices".

b. Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

c. Right click on Headphone and then click "Enable".

d. Highlight the speaker and then choose "Set as Default Device".

e. Click Apply and Ok.

Method 2

Next, check if updating/rolling back the audio device driver helps to resolve the issue. Follow the below steps.

• First of all, Press Windows logo + R from keyboard. It will open
      RUN.
    • Now type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Device Manager.
    • You will see all the driver list of your PC. Expand Sound, video and game controller. Locate the listed sound driver for your PC.

Update driver

Double click on your audio device driver in Device Manager. Then Click on
    Driver tab and select Update.

Reference: Update drivers in Windows 10

Rollback driver

Double click on your audio device driver in Device Manager. Then Click on
    Driver tab and select Rollback.

Important: If your drive is performing well and there is no error, Rollback driver button will be grayed out as an option.

If the issue persists I would suggest you to try uninstalling and reinstalling the sound drivers.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to sound device settings, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Windows 10 1903 - Audio Line-In won't switch with Default Audio Device

Windows 10: Line-in audio no longer honors the default device update anniversary update

Realtek High Definition Audio and Wireless Stereo Headset (Generic USB Audio) are the two output devices.

As I said, I switch between both as the default device depending on whether I want to use my speakers or headset. The Line-In only is guided to the speakers for some reason, regardless if the Wireless Stereo is set as the default audio device.

This worked fine until the Windows 10 Anniversary update.

I checked the drivers, they are all up to date.

EDIT - I should note that Windows audio works fine for both speakers or headset (when changed to default device). It's just the Line-In (which is Line in Realtek High Definition Audio) which doesn't guide to the correct device.

Definitely looks like a bug.

Leon McDonald, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 1903 - Audio Line-In won't switch with Default Audio Device

1. Windows 10 1903 - Audio Line-In won't switch with Default Audio Device - Similar Threads - 1903 Audio Line

2. Audio Line In Listen Device Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Line In Listen Device Issue: I am on Windows 11, running a stream setup with GOXLR. In order to have my audio route through my wireless headset I have to go into properties for line in and set the listen to device to my headset Astro A50. This works and I have no issue until I reset my PC. THE SETTINGS...
  3. Audio Line In Listen Device Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio Line In Listen Device Issue: I am on Windows 11, running a stream setup with GOXLR. In order to have my audio route through my wireless headset I have to go into properties for line in and set the listen to device to my headset Astro A50. This works and I have no issue until I reset my PC. THE SETTINGS...
  4. Line in not switching output to the default device without restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Line in not switching output to the default device without restart: I’ve got my PS4 hooked in to my monitor with an HDMI cable. The PS4 doesn’t have audio out, but the monitor does. I’m running a 3.5 inch male to male connection from the monitor to the line in on my sound card. I’ve set the system to listen to the device and play on the...
  5. Programs not switching audio devices when I switch the audio device

Programs not switching audio devices when I switch the audio device: My Setup: Dual monitors with integrated speakers and a headset I plug/unplug frequently. Issue: On my desktop computer, when I open a program with sound, the sound loads into the audio device that is currently being used, but when I switch the playback device (either to the...
  6. Windows 10 1903 Line In or Mic set to "Listen to this device" won't switch with "Default...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 1903 Line In or Mic set to "Listen to this device" won't switch with "Default...: Hi, There is a bug that was introduced a year ago evidence of this here,here, and here. The issue can be reproduced with the following steps: 1. Connect 2 audio output devices 2. Connect an audio input device through a "Line In" or "Mic" port 3. For the audio input...
  7. Windows Switches Default Audio Device at Boot Up

Windows Switches Default Audio Device at Boot Up: Every time I start my PC it will randomly select my monitor to be the default device. I've tried to disable it but that doesn't hold true the next time I go to restart/boot up my PC and it will sometimes make my monitor the default. Is their anyway around this or a way to...
  8. After upgrade to 1903: Switching between Default Playback Devices doesn't change line-in...

After upgrade to 1903: Switching between Default Playback Devices doesn't change line-in...: I used to switch default playback devices (speakers/headphones) via Autohotkey script. After the upgrade from 1806 to 1903, both of my line-in audio signals will ignore any change of the default playback device until reboot. In other words: Whenever I set my headphones to the...
  9. Audio Device Switching

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Device Switching: This is a problem I haven't found by searching, although the search terms are a bit tricky for this issue. Since upgrading from Windows 7, I have not been able to find an easy way to switch between audio devices easily on Windows 10. What I'm trying to do is switch between my...
  10. Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10 How to Change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10 The default audio playback device is the device that Windows uses to output (play) sound. When you connect speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. realtek cannot change default device until restart