Windows 10: Windows 10.1903 Broke PowerShell Automatic Pining to Task Bar... Again... Please make it an...

Discus and support Windows 10.1903 Broke PowerShell Automatic Pining to Task Bar... Again... Please make it an... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; NOTE: This is mostly a feature request for Microsoft (unless somone else knows of a work around). Hey, Well, it seems like deja vu again... for every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Fin Design, May 23, 2019.

1. Windows 10.1903 Broke PowerShell Automatic Pining to Task Bar... Again... Please make it an...

NOTE: This is mostly a feature request for Microsoft (unless somone else knows of a work around).

Hey,

Well, it seems like deja vu again... for every release of windows, someone inside Microsoft is removing the ability to automatically pin icons to the user's Task Bar. For security reasons this could be considered fair enough, but you really should enable a mode via group policy that allows the pin verb to be enabled again at the discretion of the IT department (if this is possible, please tell me where). Or allow some other way of automatically pinning taskbar icons via PowerShell (and document it properly). It's highly useful for onboarding users with applications that don't fit the standard installation models. As in a movie VFX pipeline that utilises a whole bunch of python utilities and bootstrap processes launched via scripts (not an executable directly).

Essentially give us the option. I'm fine if the default is restricted, but like scripts, we should be able to choose if we enable the potential vulnerability.

Thanks,
    Mark

Oh, and this is the broken hacky PowerShell way after the verb was removed from the older updates (kudos to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31720595/pin-program-to-taskbar-using-ps-in-windows-10).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    param (
    [parameter(Mandatory=$True, HelpMessage="Target item to pin")]
    [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
    [string] $Target
    )
    if (!(Test-Path $Target)) {
    Write-Warning "$Target does not exist"
    break
    }

$KeyPath1 = "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Classes"
    $KeyPath2 = "*"
    $KeyPath3 = "shell"
    $KeyPath4 = "{:}"
    $ValueName = "ExplorerCommandHandler"
    $ValueData =
    (Get-ItemProperty `
    ("HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\" + `
    "CommandStore\shell\Windows.taskbarpin")
    ).ExplorerCommandHandler

$Key2 = (Get-Item $KeyPath1).OpenSubKey($KeyPath2, $true)
    $Key3 = $Key2.CreateSubKey($KeyPath3, $true)
    $Key4 = $Key3.CreateSubKey($KeyPath4, $true)
    $Key4.SetValue($ValueName, $ValueData)

$Shell = New-Object -ComObject "Shell.Application"
    $Folder = $Shell.Namespace((Get-Item $Target).DirectoryName)
    $Item = $Folder.ParseName((Get-Item $Target).Name)
    $Item.InvokeVerb("{:}")

$Key3.DeleteSubKey($KeyPath4)
    if ($Key3.SubKeyCount -eq 0 -and $Key3.ValueCount -eq 0) {
    $Key2.DeleteSubKey($KeyPath3)
    }

:)

Fin Design, May 23, 2019
  2. Mark Isi Win User

PowerShell randomly poping-up in tool bar

Hello,

Just to verify, do you have any scheduled tasks that uses Powershell? Scheduled tasks makes Powershell window appear periodically on your computer, therefore we suggest that you check the Task Scheduler. Here are the steps:

• Click on Start.
    • In the search bar, type Task Scheduler and click on

Task Scheduler
      in the results.
    • Under Active Tasks, check for any tasks that use Powershell and the scheduled time.

If the issue still persist, we suggest that you run a Windows Defender scan to see if it will pick up any malware that the first scan missed.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, May 23, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Defender - How to make it default to task bar?

Using Windows 10 and currently I am using Defender for anti virus. For whatever reason Windows Defender does not show up in the task bar unless I search for the program or right click and scan a file/folder. Is there a way to force Defender to show up in the task bar at start up?

Flogger23m, May 23, 2019
  4. Windows 10.1903 Broke PowerShell Automatic Pining to Task Bar... Again... Please make it an...

Unable to access Start menu, Search bar, notification buttons on Task bar after install the Update KB3139907 on Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for responding.

We are glad to know that you are able to access Search bar and notification center after performing the above troubleshooting steps.

For the issues with Start menu, try the below steps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the below PowerShell command to re-register Start menu and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Right click on the Taskbar and select
      Task Manager
      from the context menu.

• In the Task Manager window, click on
      File
      and on Run new task.

• Type powershell, place a check mark on
      Create this task with administrative privileges
      and click Ok.

• In the administrative Windows PowerShell window, carefully type the below command and hit Enter key from the keyboard.

• Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
    5. Once the command execution is completed successfully, close the PowerShell window and reboot/ restart the computer.

NOTE: When you are running the PowerShell command, I recommend you to close all the apps on your system and try.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft article and check if it helps.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, May 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10.1903 Broke PowerShell Automatic Pining to Task Bar... Again... Please make it an...

1. Windows 10.1903 Broke PowerShell Automatic Pining to Task Bar... Again... Please make it an... - Similar Threads - 1903 Broke PowerShell

2. Task bar not hidding after "automatically hide task bar"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task bar not hidding after "automatically hide task bar": Task bar not hidding after "automatically hide task bar", I've tried everything but nothing works. I'm trying to play DCS but the taskbar keeps imposing itself. I am in fullscree, no other app is online, taskbar is on "automatically hide" but nothing seems to work.Also, I...
  3. Task bar not hidding after "automatically hide task bar"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task bar not hidding after "automatically hide task bar": Task bar not hidding after "automatically hide task bar", I've tried everything but nothing works. I'm trying to play DCS but the taskbar keeps imposing itself. I am in fullscree, no other app is online, taskbar is on "automatically hide" but nothing seems to work.Also, I...
  4. I broke windows 10 again...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I broke windows 10 again...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/kevlu8 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hf9b3z/i_broke_windows_10_again/
  5. Windows 10 Updates 1903 & 1909 Broke my Computer again!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates 1903 & 1909 Broke my Computer again!: My main computer that I use for my business, designing 3D models, has been acting up due to updates since last year, now as of April 1st 2020, I have spent several days trying to fix issues updates have been causing with no luck. At this point my computer is completely...
  6. Make Task Bar Search Bar Transparent

in Windows 10 Customization
    Make Task Bar Search Bar Transparent: Hi, After upgrading to Windows 10 1903, I noticed you guys split up the Cortana buttons and the Search bar ("Type here to search"). Because I am on dark windows theme and a light app theme, the search bar is a complete eye sore. It literally is a giant white box amidst a...
  7. Windows 10 1903 Task Bar not auto-hiding

Windows 10 1903 Task Bar not auto-hiding: I've seen many older posts about this, but not any particularly CLEAR fixes or explanations. Why hasn't Microsoft addressed this? I need the task bar to hide as set so I can see the tabs in Excel and that bottom area of so many other applications when maximized. I am using...
  8. Task Bar Make Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Bar Make Up: Hello, 1. Is it possible that Eplorer always appears with the same icon in the Task Bar (see image bellow)? If so, How to? 2. Regarding Outlook icon, it appears in three copies in the Task Bar (Quick Launch, Running and right hand side) see image bellow. Is it possible to...
  9. Windows 10 Task Scheduler stopped running again on 1903

Windows 10 Task Scheduler stopped running again on 1903: This is similar to the question below: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-task-scheduler-stopped-running-after/8cba8d5f-eb97-4b21-8086-d669e7f1355f The question was temporarily solved after upgrading to 1903, but now it happens again....
  10. Windows 10, november update broke SBM1. My desktop is empty and the task bar seems to make...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, november update broke SBM1. My desktop is empty and the task bar seems to make...: I have a domain with Samba. The last week all was ok. But since the last update (around November 19), I can,t connect my user in the domain... When I logon, my desktop is empty and my task bar loop every 1 second. I can do CTRL + ALT + DEL, so I can go to task manager and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. automatic app update scheduled task windows 10 1903

2. 1903 breaks powershell