Windows 10: Windows 10 1903: Dates in conversational format in Explorer

Discus and support Windows 10 1903: Dates in conversational format in Explorer in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The snail-paced rollout of Windows 10 version 1809 is still ongoing as development of Windows 10 version 1903 continues to push new features that might... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 4, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 1903: Dates in conversational format in Explorer

The snail-paced rollout of Windows 10 version 1809 is still ongoing as development of Windows 10 version 1903 continues to push new features that might be supported in the next feature update for Windows 10.

Microsoft has not changed the schedule yet; Windows 10 version 1903 is expected in late March or early April 2019.

Users who run Insider versions of Windows 10 can test some of the functionality already. Microsoft tests a new feature in File Explorer currently that displays the data in conversational format.

File Explorer, the default file browser of Windows 10, displays modification dates by default. The dates that it displays uses the format day-month-year-time, e.g. 04-Oct-18 09:26 AM by default (as do other date listings such as creation date).

Windows 10 1903: Dates in conversational format in Explorer file-explorer-old-date-format.png

The new conversational format for dates in File Explorer changes this to a format that removes the time parameter from the listing in most instances and changes the date as well.

File Explorer displays dates such as August 4, 2010, Yesterday at 13:26, or "just now" instead in listings.

Windows 10 1903: Dates in conversational format in Explorer file-explorer-conversation-format.png

The format uses rules that determine what is displayed to the user:

• Current year dates omit the year.
    • All dates older than 2 days are displayed in the format Month Day, e.g. November 29.
    • Yesterday: displays the modification time.
    • Today: displays "hours ago" or "just now".

Sorting works as expected; File Explorer takes the full date and time into account and sorts the file and folder listing of the active folder based on that.

Windows 10 1903: Dates in conversational format in Explorer options-file-explorer-conversational-format.png

It is unclear whether the new conversational format will be the default in Windows 10 version 1903. Recent builds include a setting to turn the new format on or off:

1. Open File Explorer on Windows 10.
    2. Select View and click on the Options button.
    3. Switch to the View tab in the Folder Options window that opens.
    4. Scroll down until you find "Show dates in conversational format".

Check the option to enable the new conversational format and uncheck it to turn it off and go back to the default format used in previous versions of the Windows operating system.

The functionality is powered by a value in the Registry:

1. Open the Registry Editor on the system. Tap on the Windows-key to display Start, type regedit.exe, and select the result to load it.
    2. Confirm the UAC prompt that Windows displays.
    3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    4. Locate the Dword FriendlyDates.
      1. If it does not exist, right-click on Advanced and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
      2. Name it FriendlyDates.
    5. Double-click on the value and set it to the value 1 to use the new conversational format or to 0 to use the old date display format.

We have created a Registry script that you may run to enable or disable the new format for dates. Download the zip archive with the two Registry scripts with a click on the following link: w10-conversational-format-file-explorer.zip

Microsoft did add dark mode to File Explorer in Windows 10 version 1809.

Now You: Do you prefer the old or the new format? (via Deskmodder)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 1903: Dates in conversational format in Explorer appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 4, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Date Format

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand that you are unable to locate the date format. I will definitely assist you.

Please follow the below steps and check.

• Click on the Date and time at the right bottom corner of your screen.

• Click on Date and time settings and click on
      Change date and time format on right pane.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 Lock Screen date format

We appreciate the information that you've given. This issue may have occurred due to the selected Format under Region. There are locations that happen to follow a certain date and time format. To correct the format, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Press Windows icon + X and select Control Panel.
    • On the Control Panel window, select Clock, Language, and Region.
    • Under Region, select Change date, time, or number formats.
    • On the Region window, under Formats tab, select
      English (United States) on the drop-down menu on Format.
    • Click Apply and OK.
    • Check your lock screen. (Attached is a reference photo)

• Windows 10 1903: Dates in conversational format in Explorer [​IMG]

Kindly get back to us with the results.

Xylee Del, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1903: Dates in conversational format in Explorer - Similar Threads - 1903 Dates conversational

2. How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?: Hi everyone,I have a folder in Windows Explorer that contains several files with names that include a date in the format "dd-mm-yyyy" e.g., 01-01-2022 File 1.txt, 02-03-2022 File 3.txt, 03-01-2022 File 2.txt. I would like to sort these files in ascending or descending order...
  3. How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?: Hi everyone,I have a folder in Windows Explorer that contains several files with names that include a date in the format "dd-mm-yyyy" e.g., 01-01-2022 File 1.txt, 02-03-2022 File 3.txt, 03-01-2022 File 2.txt. I would like to sort these files in ascending or descending order...
  4. date format

in Windows 10 Customization
    date format: Why don't I have the month/day/year option in the date format? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/date-format/a1b705b5-e73b-4fdf-b91d-d08f0b59f8a0
  5. Date format

Date format: Must include the date format dd/mm/yyyy in the Bangladesh regional setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/date-format/4a639cd7-22d2-4de5-93e3-68066bc2d133
  6. Date format on folders in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Date format on folders in explorer: Hi I have many folders in windows explorer that are showing American date format yyyy-mm-dd how do i change so they display dd-mm-yyyy. All settings are uk including clock and date format....
  7. Different date formats for File Explorer and System Tray

Different date formats for File Explorer and System Tray: Hello, I recently updated the system tray's date format by adjusting the short date. But now I noticed that when I openFile Explorer, the date format for Date Modified and Date Created is the same as the one I created for the System tray. I don't want it to be the same...
  8. Different date formats for Windows Explorer and System Tray

Different date formats for Windows Explorer and System Tray: Hello, I recently updated the system tray's date format by adjusting the short date. But now I noticed that when I openFile Explorer, the date format for Date Modified and Date Created is the same as the one I created for the System tray. I don't want it to be the same...
  9. changing Date Format for windows 10

changing Date Format for windows 10: There are no option to change the date format from dd/mm/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy for windows 10. How can I change the date format that is shown in the lower left-hand corner of the win 10 desktop?...
  10. windows 10 calendar date format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 calendar date format: Hi guys I have just installed windows 10 home not pro and I have managed to sort out the date format in the taskbar (bottom right) into UK format but I have started to use the calendar but that format is still in USA format and I want to change it. I added google calendar...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1903 date

2. date format explorer

3. Windows 10 1903 Show dates in conversational format

4. date windows 1903,
  5. windows 10 1903 release date language:en,
  6. windows 1903 explorer dates,
  7. windows 1903 explorer,
  8. 1903 windows 10,
  9. windows 10 1903,
  10. win 10 1903