Windows 10: WIndows 10 (1903) File Association not working

Discus and support WIndows 10 (1903) File Association not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When will there be a fix for the broken file association? I am still unable to select an installed program/app for specific file types. The only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BW465, Jun 19, 2019.

1. BW465 Win User

WIndows 10 (1903) File Association not working

When will there be a fix for the broken file association? I am still unable to select an installed program/app for specific file types. The only options are the Microsoft programs OR the Windows store.

:)

BW465, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 27, 2019
  3. DavidA23 Win User
    Links/associations not working

So, does no-one have suggestions or a solution to my problem?
    The problem occurs when I double-click on a folder or link: 'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel'.
    I can only open them by right-clicking on the item and select 'Open' which is third in the list. Above that is 'Search' and on the top is 'cmd' (where 'Open would normally appear).
    I've scoured the Net and tried several ways to cure this (including 'Default File Type Associations - Restore in Windows 10') but to no avail.
    Any suggestions most welcome.

DavidA23, Jun 27, 2019
  4. mandoist Win User

File Association Helper in Startup

from another forum on May 6, 2018:
    You can uninstall File Association Helper in less than 5 minutes. Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1 — Uninstall File Association Helper via Control Panel

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel.
    Then go to Uninstall a program > locate File Association Helper in the list and select it
    Select Uninstall > wait until Windows completely removes FAH from your PC.
    Restart your PC.
    Step 2 — Clean the Registry Editor

Now that you removed the program, you also need to remove any traces or file changes associated with it. To do that, you need to open the Registry Editor.

Go to Start > type “regedit” > launch the Registry Editor
    Locate the following keys and delete them:
    KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFile Association Helper
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareFile Association Helper

Step 3 — Check all the hidden files and folders

File Association Helper may have left behind various hidden files and folders. In order to completely remove the software, you can also need to delete these files. Here’s how to do that:

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel. On Windows 10, you can also type “Show hidden files and folder” in the search box. Then simply check Show hidden files, folders and drives and jump straight to step number 3.
    RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix common PC issues and speed up your system
    Go to Folder > select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Locate the following folders:
    CWIndows 10 (1903) File Association not working :program FilesFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocument and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocuments and Settings%USER%Application DataFile Association Helper

4. Delete them and then restart your PC.

Step 4 — Empty Temp Folder

The final step is to clean the Temp folder where all the temporary files are stored. To empty the folder, go to Start and type the %temp% command.

This will open the Temp folders. You can now empty them. If the system displays an error message when deleting some files, leave them. The files might be in use by Windows services or some running software.

Step 5 — Use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers

After you performed all the steps listed above, you have removed 99.9% of all the files and folders left behind by File Association Helper. However, there may be a few file that escaped your scrutiny. In order to make sure that you have removed all of them, you can also use a dedicated software uninstaller.

These applications are specially designed to remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. As a result, the application will be completely removed from your PC.

There are many great uninstaller tools available on the market, but the best are IOBit Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller so feel free to try any of these tools.

mandoist, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

1. WIndows 10 (1903) File Association not working - Similar Threads - 1903 File Association

2. File Association issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Association issues in Windows 10: When installing an Adobe app, files associations work as expected. When I install a beta version of the same Adobe app, files association are moved to the beta version of the Adobe app. Once that happens, there is no way to move the file association back to the regular app...
  3. File Association issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Association issues in Windows 10: When installing an Adobe app, files associations work as expected. When I install a beta version of the same Adobe app, files association are moved to the beta version of the Adobe app. Once that happens, there is no way to move the file association back to the regular app...
  4. File Association issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Association File GPO Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Association File GPO Not Working: Good day, I would like to apply Microsoft Edge and Outlook to be the default apps to all the computers in the organisation. All the computers are running Windows 10 1809/1909. I have used the DISM command dism.exe /online...
  6. Associate a file extension in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Associate a file extension in Windows 10: Hey, I have just installed Endnote X9 Referencing Manager Application on my second pc.. It has created a icon for it and the program opens up and I am able to access the usual link through Word. My issue though is when I download the citation reference from my web site,...
  7. Windows 10 File Association Citrix

Windows 10 File Association Citrix: I'm need to re-associate the Citrix .ica file to "Citrix Connection Manager" after installing Citrix Workspace. Currently, the .ica file is associated with Internet Explorer. When I click on Internet Explorer to change the association, only "Adobe Acrobat DC" and "Internet...
  8. Windows 10 File Associations

Windows 10 File Associations: Hi, We are struggling to apply file associations effectively via our SCCM task sequence on build by applying a customisation XML we created. The only change the in the XML is for Adobe Reader for PDF to be used instead of Edge naively. The XML seems to apply...
  9. File associations don't work

File associations don't work: OK, so file association for .htm files is set to my text editor. For some reason, though, the text editor won't open when I double-click a .htm file. I get the blue spinning timer thing for a few seconds, then nothing happens. Apart from "uninstall this crock of an...
  10. Windows 10 file association problem

Windows 10 file association problem: I use Bittorrent sometimes (legally). I don't like when downloading the torrent for it to open the app but prefer to SAVE the file until I can check it out. Win 7 had this ability, and after cleaning out ALL OF BITTORRENT from my SYSTEM, when a torrent link is clicked, it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. After MS upgrade to windows 1903 MS office not working at all

2. Window 1903 app not working