Windows 10: Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs

Discus and support Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This problem only started happening after I updated from 1809 to 1903 and I don't want to update to 1909 yet to see if it's fixed. I have two sound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Skyyblaze, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs

This problem only started happening after I updated from 1809 to 1903 and I don't want to update to 1909 yet to see if it's fixed.

I have two sound output devices, one is for my speakers, one is for my headset, I also have my PC listen to Line-In to the "Default Sound Device".

Now when I boot my PC and the sound is set to my speakers by default the Line-In sound comes out correctly over my speakers, however if I now if I set my default sound device to my headset the sound continues to come out over my speakers. To get Line-In playing over my headset I manually have to go into the properties of Line-In and set the "Listen to" device to my headset.

Does anyone can confirm this back and maybe knows if they fixed in in 1909 like said it wasn't a thing in 1809 and earlier.

submitted by /u/Skyyblaze
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Skyyblaze, Nov 8, 2019

2. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset For EVERY Change

First started maybe two months ago, a Windows 10 update

To explain why I do this, I use a virtual audio device so I can listen to some audio that doesn't go to stream. This virtual audio device is simple: It is a device that some programs output to, like a fake set of speakers. It is also an input device, so
    that I can listen to the input device on my real output device, either my speakers or headphones.

So I go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Check "Listen to this device" and under "Playback through this device:" I select "Default Playback Device".

This used to work fine and dandy. Sometime around August 2019, a Windows 10 update broke this. If I plug in my headphones, the default device changes from speakers to headphones. But playback of the virtual audio device stops. If I unplug my headphones, it
    is still stopped. I have to go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Change the dropdown menu from "Default Playback Device" to anything else > Apply > Change the dropdown menu to "Default Playback Device" > Apply again to fix it.

This adds TONS of extra steps to a simple change like plugging in my headphones. I have uninstalled my audio drivers and reinstalled them. This is a problem with how Windows 10 now handles listening to devices and needs to be fixed.

EnderofGames, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Windows 10 not honoring default recording device

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. I apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand the Audio drivers from the list.
    • Right click on the driver, click Uninstall.
    • Reboot the computer. The drivers will get installed automatically.

If the issue still persists, suggest you to run the System Maintenance troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search box and press Enter.
    • Click on View All in the top left pane.
    • From the list click on System Maintenance and follow the on screen prompts.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 28, 2019
  4. Poudingue Win User

Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs

Sound from input devices only detected when i listen to this device.

Hello,

I have a very strange bug happening here. At first i thought my microphone didn't work anymore, because the green vu-meter didn't react, and no software detected any input from it either.

So i tried a lot of fixes suggested on the internet, but discovered it was something stranger…

Even if i plugged my microphone in another sound card, or created a virtual input device, the sound was detected by the vu-meter only… When i activated «listen to this device». And even when i do this, no software accept the input, detecting absolutely no
    sound whatsoever.

I am still hesitating to reinstall windows entirely, but i wondered if there was a simpler solution before.

(Excuse me if some sentences are approximate, english is not my native language)

Poudingue, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs

1. Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs - Similar Threads - 1903 honoring default

2. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...: Any time I use an external microphone my game audio gets picked up by my headset and everyone in discord can hear it. I just bought a new headset thinking that would fix it but it hasn't. I'm playing on a laptop with an integrated mic so that probably has something to do with...
  3. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...: Any time I use an external microphone my game audio gets picked up by my headset and everyone in discord can hear it. I just bought a new headset thinking that would fix it but it hasn't. I'm playing on a laptop with an integrated mic so that probably has something to do with...
  4. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10: When you connect more than one microphone or another recording device to your Windows 10 PC, you can select which device you want to use by default. In this post, we will show you how to change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10. Change Default Sound Input Device We can...
  6. Windows 10 1903 Line In or Mic set to "Listen to this device" won't switch with "Default...

Windows 10 1903 Line In or Mic set to "Listen to this device" won't switch with "Default...: Hi, There is a bug that was introduced a year ago evidence of this here,here, and here. The issue can be reproduced with the following steps: 1. Connect 2 audio output devices 2. Connect an audio input device through a "Line In" or "Mic" port 3. For the audio input...
  7. Listen to this device not directly changing after switching default sound device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Listen to this device not directly changing after switching default sound device: Is there an option to let it switch in real time? Only solution atm is to disable and re-enable listening or change the target device every single time. I'd like this feature because I only need the audio of my browser to go through virtual audio cable and pass it on to...
  8. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...: Locked without an answer. Four replies from people looking for an answer. Please fix this. This is still a problem that constantly requires my attention....
  9. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...: First started maybe two months ago, a Windows 10 update To explain why I do this, I use a virtual audio device so I can listen to some audio that doesn't go to stream. This virtual audio device is simple: It is a device that some programs output to, like a fake set of...
  10. Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10 How to Change Default Sound Input Device in Windows 10 The default sound input device is the device that Windows uses to record or hear sound. When you connect more than one microphone or other recording devices...