Windows 10: Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter

Discus and support Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Start button > Power button > Restart = drive letter vanishes. BUT Start button > Power button > Shut down > PC power up = drive letter functions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rekees, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Rekees Win User

Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter

Start button > Power button > Restart = drive letter vanishes.

BUT

Start button > Power button > Shut down > PC power up = drive letter functions normally.

Dell XPS 8500
    Processor Intel i7-3770
    RAM 32GB

Windows 10 Home
    Version 1903
    Installed on 6/9/2019
    OS build 18362.145

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
    AHCI Mode Activated
    TRIM Status Enabled
    RAPID Mode On

Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter [​IMG]

:)

Rekees, Jun 11, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jun 11, 2019
  3. little cat, Jun 11, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter - Similar Threads - 1903 Restart zaps

2. USB Key Drives Zapped !!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Key Drives Zapped !!!: I am trying to rebuild a Bee Link U55 computer with Win 10, and have been booting it from a USB key with WinPE. This has been used several times without problems. All of a sudden the computer stopped booting from WinPE. I checked the WinPE key in other computers, and they...
  3. Change SSD drive letter

Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  4. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  5. Windows 10 update 1903, drive letters change after re-start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update 1903, drive letters change after re-start: After updating to 1903 and re-starting, windows won't start. After trying to get to safe or repair mode, I found that drive letters had changed. C: - my boot drive was now D: And E: my secondary drive was C:, etc. After many failed attempts, finally got to safe mode and was...
  6. Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter

Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter: Start button > Power button > Restart = drive letter vanishes. BUT Start button > Power button > Shut down > PC power up = drive letter functions normally. Dell XPS 8500 Processor Intel i7-3770 RAM 32GB Windows 10 Home Version 1903 Installed on 6/9/2019 OS build 18362.145...
  7. After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared

After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared: Upgraded Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903. After upgrade, my Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB drive (S:) could not be found by File Manager. Disk Manager says "Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized" so can't even assign a drive letter to it. Not a new drive, been using this SSD since 2015 and...
  8. After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared

After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared: Upgraded Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903. After upgrade, my Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB drive (S:) could not be found by File Manager. Disk Manager says "Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized" so can't even assign a drive letter to it. Not a new drive, been using this SSD since 2015 and...
  9. SSD Not being assigned drive letter

SSD Not being assigned drive letter: After formatting my extra SSD, windows won't assign it a drive letter when the computer starts. I have to use a third-party software to assign the letter, and I have to do it everytime it boots, and it's starting to annoy me. Can't really find any solutions on google 44340
  10. Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters: I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning? My new computer (an ASUS) currently has Windows 8.1. I intend to upgrade to Windows 10 before I do anything more. I will move the old Windows...