Windows 10: Windows 10 1903: support for filenames and folders with beginning dot character

Discus and support Windows 10 1903: support for filenames and folders with beginning dot character in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The next feature update for Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1903, will support filenames and folders that begin with a dot character. The news may not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 25, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 1903: support for filenames and folders with beginning dot character

The next feature update for Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1903, will support filenames and folders that begin with a dot character.

The news may not be super exciting for users of Linux or other operating systems that supported filenames or folders with dots in the beginning for decades, but for Windows, it is certainly a milestone.

When you try to create a filename or folder that begins with a dot character, you may notice that Windows won't allow that filename or folder to be picked for the file. The error "you must type a file name" is displayed (yes also for folders) and the only option the dialog provides is to select ok to restore the old filename or folder name (if you create a new file on Windows using Explorer, a file extension is added automatically).

Windows 10 1903: support for filenames and folders with beginning dot character you-must-type-a-file-name.png

The limitation applies only if you don't add at least one additional dot to the file. Windows' File Explorer won't allow the creation of ".htaccess", but it does allow the creation of ".silly.filename.txt", or ".htaccess.". Similarly, it won't allow the creation of the folder ".test" but it does allow ".test."

Windows makes the creation of filenames without extension difficult. The file manager adds a file extension to new files that you create automatically. While you may remove the file extension to create a file without one, it is probably not something that most users of Windows do regularly.

Webmasters and developers might, especially if they work with web servers or Linux systems. It is not possible to create a .htaccess file from scratch using the Windows file manager, but you can copy a file like .htaccess to the Windows system and use it just like any other file that is on the system.

A double-click opens the file, and it saves just fine as well once you are done with the editing.

The same is true for names such as.gitignore or .nomedia which some users may make use of.

Windows 10 users who run Insider Builds can test the new functionality already; the change is live in the most recent Windows 10 version 1903 Insider Build and in the Skip Ahead build as well.

The change does not remove the limitation to use reserved names for files: CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9. Files or folders with these included cannot be created.

Now You: What is your take on the change? Did you run into file name or folder name creation issues in the past? (via Deskmodder)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 1903: support for filenames and folders with beginning dot character appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 25, 2019
  2. ChrisCork Win User

better character support in filenames

Do you think there will come a time when windows 10 can support as many characters in the filename as Mac or linux?

Bit of a deal breaker integrating windows into my mac environment at the moment as many filenames have what windows would call invalid characters.

Will it be possible if they eventually replace the file explorer with a new version?

ChrisCork, Feb 25, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    64 Character folder + filename limit on DVD/CD's?

We just got an email from IT regarding backing up projects to CD/DVD... that there is a 64 Character folder/path + filename limit on DVD/CD's.

So if a pathname + filename on the network is greater than 64 characters, the file will be forced to the root of the disk and truncated if the filename itself is more than 64 characters.

Is this true? Or limited to a specific OS or format of the DVD/CD?

EDIT: Found this thead, but it's OLD (2002): http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/archive/index.php/t-92367.html

Sasqui, Feb 25, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1903: support for filenames and folders with beginning dot character - Similar Threads - 1903 support filenames

2. How to append another character if filename results in duplicate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to append another character if filename results in duplicate: Hello folks. So, I've created a Batch script that will rename files in the same directory, renaming them with text between the second and third "_" character in the original filenames. But, of course, it skips resulting duplicates. Is there possibly a way to have it append a...
  3. How to append another character if filename results in duplicate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to append another character if filename results in duplicate: Hello folks. So, I've created a Batch script that will rename files in the same directory, renaming them with text between the second and third "_" character in the original filenames. But, of course, it skips resulting duplicates. Is there possibly a way to have it append a...
  4. How to append another character if filename results in duplicate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 1903 No Longer Support

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1903 No Longer Support: Hello! is has Ended Support last Year End of 2020 on Microsoft Please Release 21H1 in May ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1903-no-longer-support/7999ac82-4b0d-45e5-8940-74bbb9ad2da8
  6. Dot character or question mark at the end of a filename on a removable disk

Dot character or question mark at the end of a filename on a removable disk: I have a micro SD card with MP4 movies on it. The SD card was bitlocker protected. I could create text files, modify them and read them when written to this card. I can change the filenames, so the disk isn't read-only. I've since removed the bitlocker protection. But,...
  7. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Increase 260 Character Filename Limit: Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person...
  8. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

Increase 260 Character Filename Limit: Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person has...
  9. Removing characters from filenames

Removing characters from filenames: Hello Apologises if this question is repeated somewhere, How can I remove a series of numbers and words in bulk from a folder of word documents please? Each filename contains different numbers and words but they follow the same format of: (9 numbers)-(5...
  10. Filename and Folder Name problem - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Filename and Folder Name problem - Windows 10: I don't know how to change font thickness(now i can see every pixel),and Filenames and Folder names are written in black color. i want default settings for font. [ATTACH] Sorry for bad english....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 1903 folders missing