Windows 10: Windows 10 1903: the case of the missing update deferral options

Discus and support Windows 10 1903: the case of the missing update deferral options in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 machines that have received the Windows 10 version 1903 feature update, the May 2019 Update, may lack update deferral options in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 28, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 1903: the case of the missing update deferral options

Windows 10 machines that have received the Windows 10 version 1903 feature update, the May 2019 Update, may lack update deferral options in the Settings application.

Windows 10 administrators may defer feature updates to block their installation on devices that they manage. Microsoft changed the existing update behavior significantly with the release of Windows 10 version 1903; feature updates are not installed automatically anymore when they become available.

Feature updates are separated from regular monthly updates. The latter get installed just like they did before but feature updates are highlighted to users but not installed. The updates will be installed eventually if the admin does not take action but only when the currently installed version is about to reach end of support.

Admins had to defer updates previously to block the installation of feature updates on managed Windows 10 devices. Microsoft added new update options to Windows 10 version 1903 as well.

I ran a story in March 2019 that covered the removal of deferral options in Windows 10 version 1903. The information was based on an Insider Build. Now, with the final release of Windows 10 version 1903, it is time to take another look.

Bad news is that the situation is not clear entirely. When I open Settings > Update & Security > Advanced Options on a Windows 10 version 1903 test system, I don't see feature update or quality update deferral options listed.

Windows 10 1903: the case of the missing update deferral options windows-10-1903-no-update-deferral.png

The only available option is to pause the update for up to 7 days on that page. Administrators could use the options previously to defer feature updates by up to 365 days.

Some users report that they still have these options in the Settings application, see Günter Born's analysis of the issue. Born comes to the same conclusion: some systems display the deferral options in Settings, others don't. He was not able to figure out why that is the case and concluded that it is likely a bug that Microsoft has not addressed yet.

It is unclear if Microsoft's intention is to remove the deferral options from the Settings or if the company never had the intention to do so. Is the lack of deferral options the bug, or the presence of them?

Could other factors play a role? Maybe. Certain Enterprise-features could impact the visibility of the feature but nothing has been confirmed and tests are not conclusive.

Group Policy

Windows 10 1903: the case of the missing update deferral options windows-10-group-policy-deferral.png

Deferral options are still available in the Group Policy. Tap on the Windows-key, type gpedit.msc, and hit the Enter-key to launch the Group Policy Editor (professional versions only).

Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business.

There you find "Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received" and "Select when Quality Updates are received".

Closing Words

It is still possible to use deferral options on Pro, Enterprise, and Education versions of Windows 10 version 1903. Admins who don't find them in the Settings application may still configure these in the Group Policy.

Now You: Bug or feature, what is your take?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 1903: the case of the missing update deferral options appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 28, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 28, 2019
  3. Steve C Win User
    Windows Update Deferral

You should be able to set the feature update deferral period from Settings / Windows Update / Advanced Options from an admin account using Windows 10 Pro.

Steve C, May 28, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Call to action: review your Windows Update for Business deferral value

Source: Call to action: review your Windows Update for Business deferral values - Microsoft Tech Community - 394244

Windows 10 1903: the case of the missing update deferral options [​IMG]
    Tip How to Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

Tweet

— Twitter API (@User) View on Twiiter

Brink, May 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1903: the case of the missing update deferral options - Similar Threads - 1903 case missing

2. After 20h2 update, no 365 day deferral option

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After 20h2 update, no 365 day deferral option: I can pause updates, but 365 day option isn't there. Is there any other way to control an involuntary update? 178453
  3. Why is the Windows Update Deferral Settings page missing?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is the Windows Update Deferral Settings page missing?: 1909-64 Up-to-date .... I installed the Nov CU KB4586786 on 11/10 & don't recall if I looked at the Settings/Update & Security section B4 today. The site only Opens first to Delivery Optimization or then any selected link on left sideBUT shows nothing of the usual page with...
  4. Autoplay options missing in registry....Win 10 / 1903

in Windows 10 Support
    Autoplay options missing in registry....Win 10 / 1903: Autoplay options missing in registry....Win 10 / 1903 After "policies" there should be / explorer and then some autoplay options...but those options are missing! This is what shows up instead....
  5. missing deferral semi-annual channel feature update option in window update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    missing deferral semi-annual channel feature update option in window update: I have window 10 Pro, version 1903, from yesterday I faced this problem, in this sense that I have missed deferral semi-annual feature update in order to delay a new and upcoming " feature update " by 365 days, I contacted Microsoft support, one time they told me to...
  6. Feature Update To 1903 - "Download and install now" option missing

Feature Update To 1903 - "Download and install now" option missing: [img] I'm sure it was there yesterday, but today it isn't. Btw, ignore flight mode in the taskbar - wifi is activated and signal is strong. Windows 10 1809 running on Acer Iconia w4 32GB. Any ideas would be much appreciated. 139736
  7. Missing power options in 1903

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing power options in 1903: I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 which has Windows 10 Home, and came with the 1903 feature update installed. When I go to the advanced settings for my current power plan (or any other power plan, regardless of whether it came with the system or if I made it), the options are very...
  8. window 10 update to ver 1903 had failings, opened case #1479070206

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    window 10 update to ver 1903 had failings, opened case #1479070206: Thanks, lost contact with Fabeth on Saturday, since then could not reconnect. issues in diagnostic check are many outstanding " not connected " or disconnected subsystem, I did not copy Want support to LogMeIn and fix balance of issues, as was told backing to last rev....
  9. Power options missing 1903

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power options missing 1903: After upgrading to version 1903 the only Power Option available is Balanced. Thats it - No High Performance , . How to get them back , ? Tried various methods via Command Prompt and Powershell to which they both accepted the commands but still no other Power Options. Or...
  10. Windows Update Deferral

Windows Update Deferral: I think it was last September when I deferred the Fall Creators update for 365 days. I occasionally do a Macrium backup restore, and most often when I go to Settings>Windows>Advanced, the box for how many days the feature update can be deferred is blank. I'm also curious...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update option missing in security & updates win 1903

2. defer updates missing in 1903

3. how does the deferral period work in windows 10 devices