Windows 10: Windows 10 1909 breaks Windows Hello with YubiKey 4

Discus and support Windows 10 1909 breaks Windows Hello with YubiKey 4 in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi. Been using Windows 10 ever since it came out. Windows Hello with YubiKey 4 never had a problem. All updates to 1903 were fine but then, recently I... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by MikeIndiaKiloEcho, May 2, 2020.

1. Windows 10 1909 breaks Windows Hello with YubiKey 4

Hi. Been using Windows 10 ever since it came out. Windows Hello with YubiKey 4 never had a problem. All updates to 1903 were fine but then, recently I upgraded to 1909 because someone suggested that might fix an issue I had with Your Phone companion.

Now, Windows Hello no longer works with YubiKey 4. Windows security key sign-In management refuses to recognize that its a valid security key.

To eliminate the possibility that the key has somehow gone bad, I jumped onto the Yubico website and downloaded Yubico Client for Windows and the key is recognized fine and validated working with that client. I would have stuck with that client but it doesn't have the convenience of Windows Hello.

After uninstalling the Yubico client, I went about to try a standard Yubico Security Key. This worked fine.

I am now suspecting that Microsoft has removed support for FIDO U2F from Windows Hello security key functionality and replaced it with a FIDO2 implementation instead of supporting both because that is the only significant difference. YubiKey 4 also supports a number of other authentication standards such as OTP, OAUTH, OpenPGP, smart cards, etc which the Yubico Security Key does not support but I don't believe Windows Hello implements these capabilities in security keys.

Can anyone confirm? It just means I have to buy a YubiKey 5 with FIDO2 support but its a real pain for Microsoft to simply dump support for FIDO U2F when a year or two ago, it was considered the mainstream security 2nd factor key implementation before OAUTH and FIDO2 specifications were solid.

:)

MikeIndiaKiloEcho, May 2, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 2, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Yubikey login support

Hi,

Log in issues can be caused by invalid password or username. For us to assist you further, kindly answer the questions below:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Have you tried using Yubikey before?

We're looking forward for your response.

Rose Cal, May 2, 2020
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Windows 10 1909 breaks Windows Hello with YubiKey 4

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 1909 breaks Windows Hello with YubiKey 4

1. Windows 10 1909 breaks Windows Hello with YubiKey 4 - Similar Threads - 1909 breaks Hello

2. How to setup YubiKey with Windows Hello?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to setup YubiKey with Windows Hello?: I'm trying to setup my Windows PC to be able to sign in With a YubiKey, and need help to use it to log in to my computer directly. Attempting to use the key will not work, it says that I need to use my password. Is there any way I can set it up to use only a security key or...
  3. Sign into Windows 10 with Yubikey

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sign into Windows 10 with Yubikey: I setup my Yubikey for windows however when I login to my desktop it still prompts me for my password instead of Yubikey... I need help to set this up properly.. Thanks!...
  4. Windows 10 Version 2004 breaks Web Expression 4

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Version 2004 breaks Web Expression 4: I received the Windows 10 Version 2004 update yesterday and since then have been unable to open Web Expression 4. Running it as Administrator makes no difference. It would appear that a .NET update has broken this application and I suspect there is no easy solution. I...
  5. Dcom breaking windows 10 build 1909 search function

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dcom breaking windows 10 build 1909 search function: Anyone have a solution for this? I have done it on multiple machines and it is 100% repeatable. Fresh Win 10 build 1909 installs on multiple machines. Set the default authentication level from connect to none under the system wide dcom section under my computer. Default...
  6. Windows Hello face recognition + Yubikey 5

Windows Hello face recognition + Yubikey 5: Please add the possibility to use face recognition with a Yubikey 5 in true 2FA configuration https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-hello-face-recognition-yubikey-5/972a1e97-8127-4c11-8fd2-78f711544a2f
  7. Windows Hello not working on Windows 10 1909

Windows Hello not working on Windows 10 1909: Hi. My Windows Hello options are all grey. I used to use my fingerprint on Acer Swift 3 and it stopped working. I can't add a new fingerprint or PIN. [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows 10 Pro 1909 breaks all USB devices.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro 1909 breaks all USB devices.: Similar to the problem that a previous fall update fixed, all USB devices are turned off when Windows boots to login screen. To solve this I had to interrupt the boot until the recovery environment loaded and uninstall latest feature update. Now I'm stuck with a version...
  9. Windows 10 update 1909 breaks my RAID array

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 update 1909 breaks my RAID array: Hey folks, So I have two AMD-RAID Toshiba DT01ACA3 SCSCI Disk devices that are grouped in one array. When I tried to update Windows I got a message saying I needed to update my AMD-RAID drivers because the old drivers did not play nicely with the new update, with this...
  10. yubikey

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    yubikey: Cannot sign into any Microsoft accounts using yubikey5...keeps saying "cannot use this key, try another" and when prompted for password/pin, says invalid pin. Followed the set up instructions...What now...dump Microsoft and migrate over to Linux mint?(where yubikey works...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. yubikey windows 10 1909