Windows 10: Windows 10 1909 - File Explorer search box missing

Discus and support Windows 10 1909 - File Explorer search box missing in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As the title says, updated a PC to 1909 and now the search box in file explorer is missing. Anyone know a fix? submitted by /u/ShiningSquirrel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ShiningSquirrel, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Windows 10 1909 - File Explorer search box missing

As the title says, updated a PC to 1909 and now the search box in file explorer is missing. Anyone know a fix?

submitted by /u/ShiningSquirrel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ShiningSquirrel, Jan 2, 2020
  2. jbates7 Win User

File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909

As suggested earlier, when Windows 10 search in explorer 1909 does not work (i.e. nothing can be typed into the search box), restart Windows Explorer in the task manager.

Windows 10 updates - usually I wait a week or so before updating so that bugs can be fixed. Obviously this did't work in whichever update that trashed Wiindows Explorer.

jbates7, Jan 2, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    File search box

Are you referring to the taskbar search box or the search box in file explorer?

Which is your Windows build?

- the troubleshooter? - I doubt that will help with problems typing in this search box.

I've not noted problems in 1903 myself, but a much more significant change in search - esp. in file explorer - occurred in 1909.

Note that from 1903, with the separation of Cortana from search, it's expected that repairs to Cortana now have no effect on the search box.

Please feel free to search the forum for
    can't type in search box
    This topic has been discussed many times as you can see:

Windows 10 1909 - File Explorer search box missing [​IMG]

See if you can find something to help starting with recent and solved threads.

Some problems have been reported with search in 1909.
    Windows 10 version 1909 November 2019 update breaks File Explorer search - SlashGear
    Windows 10 1909 KB4517245 Update Causes File Explorer Issues

dalchina, Jan 2, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 1909 - File Explorer search box missing

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 1909 - File Explorer search box missing

1. Windows 10 1909 - File Explorer search box missing - Similar Threads - 1909 File Explorer

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box

in Cortana
    Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box: File Explorer Search - does anyone know how the search algorithm works or if there is any rhyme or reason for the order of results? Or better yet, do you know a way to define sort rules for this search?...
  3. File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909: Hello, New to this, hopefully I did this correctly Question asked, but " This thread is locked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-not-working-in-windows-10/3c70ea75-79a8-4f3b-b10a-86be1f22931c As some/many have posted,...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden

Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden: When the cursor enters the Windows 10 File Explorer search box, the box drops down, partially mostly hiding text entry. see image inserted below I've scoured the web looking for solutions and found no references to this issue at all. Any thoughts, suggestions? [ATTACH]...
  5. File Explorer search box

in Cortana
    File Explorer search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwritten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  6. File Explorer Search box

File Explorer Search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwitten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  7. Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Version 1909 - Cannot type into File Explorer search box: Hi all, I have an HP 15-DW0046NR laptop with Intel 8265U processor and 8GB RAM. Windows version is Windows 10 x64 Enterprise, Version 1909 OS Build 10.0.18363.535 (Nov 2019 Update). The problem is that since I received the update the other day the search box is "dead". By...
  8. Missing search tab - File Explorer (Windows 10 - 1909)

Missing search tab - File Explorer (Windows 10 - 1909): Hello, I have installed the latest update of windows 10 (home and pro). Windows 10 Pro - 1909 (v. 18363.476) Now the "search" tab is no longer in the folders and I can't clear the search history either. Where is this tab?! [ATTACH]...
  9. File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909

File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909: Ever since I updated to Windows 10 1909 the Search Box in the File Explorer is completely unuseable. It shows a text cursor but I cannot click inside the box or type any text into it. Essentially it's a text box with no "wiring". Any ideas how to resolve this issue? I'm...
  10. Windows 10 1909 File Explorer Search issue

in Cortana
    Windows 10 1909 File Explorer Search issue: What happened to explorer search? Unable to paste the copied file name to search for as it was in previous versions. I have to manually type the file name and press Enter. This is terrible! Why does Microsoft only make things worse with each new version ?!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no search tab in ribbon

2. why doesnt file explorer have search tab windows 10

3. search tab not visible in windows 10 file explorer

4. fix win 10 search box 1909,
  5. search ribbon missing windows 1909,
  6. search box missing 1909