Windows 10: Windows 10 1909 GSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error upon boot killed my hard drive

Discus and support Windows 10 1909 GSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error upon boot killed my hard drive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way my files can be saved and why did it kill the hard drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KubaDus, Jul 4, 2020.

1. KubaDus Win User

Windows 10 1909 GSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error upon boot killed my hard drive

Is there a way my files can be saved and why did it kill the hard drive?

:)

KubaDus, Jul 4, 2020

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Jul 4, 2020
  3. rgpearce Win User
    Frequent BSOD critical_process_died error, then upon restart computer cant find a hard drive to boot to--Windows 10

The folks at Cyberpower were not able to solve my problem, but I'm hoping someone with more technical skills can. I am getting frequent BSODs with the error as critical_process_died. The blue screen stays at 0%, then restarts, and upon restarting,
    it asks me to select the proper boot drive (neither hard drive is listed as an option). I have to restart the computer again for the computer to find a hard drive and boot to windows. The BSODs are now happening within 10 minutes of restarting the computer
    whereas just a day or two ago it took a couple of hours or longer to crash.

I've tried updating windows (Windows 10), updating all drivers in device manager, updating my BIOS, running sfc, running Memtest on each RAM stick, running Seatools on both hard drives, and just about everything else I can find, all without errors.
    I've uninstalled pretty much everything that did not come with the computer when Cyberpower sent it back to me supposedly repaired. I just dont trust that they have a clue what they are doing.

Two likely related problems are that a memory dump file is not created upon crashing even though I have followed the instructions mentioned elsewhere in this forum to make sure one is created, and that chkdsk will not run upon startup even though I've
    asked it to do so to the C drive where windows is installed.

I am desperate for a solution as this is my primary work computer and I have lost a ton of time trying to fix it with no success.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name DESKTOP-5TDH8P1

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model G1.Sniper Z170

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU Default string

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F21, 3/6/2017

SMBIOS Version 3.0

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Model Not Available

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State Unsupported

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.0"

User Name DESKTOP-5TDH8P1\rgpea

Time Zone Mountain Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.96 GB

Available Physical Memory 5.27 GB

Total Virtual Memory 9.83 GB

Available Virtual Memory 6.92 GB

Page File Space 1.88 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM
    is not usable

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

rgpearce, Jul 4, 2020
  4. Windows 10 1909 GSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error upon boot killed my hard drive

Critical_Process_Died - Windows 10

Hi RJC5654,

The CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED is an error saying that the process that boots your computer is now totally disabled. To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution for your concerns with your boot sequence, we’d like to ask you
    a few questions:

• What are the circumstances on your computer that made you use Norton Disk Doctor to scan your hard drives?
    • What made you choose Norton Disk Doctor over Windows 10 Checkdisk? Our operating system has already a utility tool to do this same scanning process.
    • Do you still have a software warranty for your computer?
    • Can you still proceed to your desktop environment?
    • Can you check your BIOS and UEFI settings if you set Windows Boot Manager as your primary boot option on your machine’s boot sequence?
    • Do you have a copy of Windows 10 – Media Creation Tool?
    • Are you able to access the Windows recovery environment?
    • Kindly give us a walkthrough of the steps or processes which your machine goes through when attempting to boot up and where the error occurs.
    • What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In addition, you can visit this link:
    Bug Check 0xEF: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
    to see what you can do to troubleshoot this error. Usually this is a blue screen error that blocks your computer to boot properly.

Get back to us once you provide us these additional details.

Johann Eva, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 1909 GSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error upon boot killed my hard drive

1. Windows 10 1909 GSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error upon boot killed my hard drive - Similar Threads - 1909 GSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

2. Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives: Hello there.I have 3 computers that tried to update to 21H2. 2 Dell Desktops with a SATA interface, and 1 HP laptop with an NVME interface.In all 3 cases, once the update was complete, the computer would not boot or reboot immediately after the update.Going into the BIOS...
  3. "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?: Hey there! Can someone please help me out? Whenever I don't use my laptop for more than 2 days, then when I boot up my laptop, it would be *very* slow, then after a minute or two, it would freeze then the blue screen of death appears. the code error is critical_process_died...
  4. "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?: Hey there! Can someone please help me out? Whenever I don't use my laptop for more than 2 days, then when I boot up my laptop, it would be *very* slow, then after a minute or two, it would freeze then the blue screen of death appears. the code error is critical_process_died...
  5. "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Windows 10 killing my hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 killing my hard drive: Hi I’m having a problem with Windows 10 since i updated to the latest version it has slowly been making my computer slow to a point where the computer is non-responsive and also killing my hard drive. I’ve reached a point where I’m even scared to store important infomation on...
  7. Windows 10 1909 Will Not Install on the Hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1909 Will Not Install on the Hard drive.: I am in the process of installing Windows 10 Pro version 1909 on a number of desktop computers. I've done 4 so far. All good. Today I can't get Windows 10 to install as Install thinks that the boot hard drive does not have BIOS support. Target Computer: Dell Precision...
  8. Hard drive killed by Windows update

Hard drive killed by Windows update: I just my new Hp computer and the system was on auto update. It had a new Windows 10 update that was updating and this update basically killed my hard drive and I basically need a new one as told by the computer experts. I am so disappointed with you guys how can you have...
  9. Windows Boot-up error: “CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED”

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Boot-up error: “CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED”: When I boot up my Surface Book 2, there is a dead loop of blue screen error saying “CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED”. I tried to perform a restore from old windows restore points but it says “Drive is not secured” and I was unable to restore. Even safe mode won’t work. I only have...
  10. windows 10 error upon boot

windows 10 error upon boot: i installed windows 10 on my nvme m.2 drive and soon as it loads to the desktop it shows an error, system thread exception not handled. it reboots before i can do anything on it, it is immediate...