Windows 10: Windows 10 (1909) Locks Hard After Sleeping

Discus and support Windows 10 (1909) Locks Hard After Sleeping in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; <flame on>Congratulations, Microsoft! You've once again apparently managed to distribute an update -- 1909 or maybe the KB4524570 "quality" update --... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mark Olbert, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Windows 10 (1909) Locks Hard After Sleeping

<flame on>Congratulations, Microsoft! You've once again apparently managed to distribute an update -- 1909 or maybe the KB4524570 "quality" update -- which hard locks my system when it sleeps. Whatever testing regime you're using is suspect, inadequate or both. <flame off>

The flame pretty much says it all. This is on a Windows 10 Pro system, all the latest updates installed, 16GB of RAM, no other problems noted before today.

I've experienced this problem twice in the last two hours after updating to 1909 (didn't think to exercise the system after it installed KB4524570 overnight -- I need to shift my expectations and assume "all Microsoft major updates are to be considered **** until proven otherwise").

The freeze is so hard that pressing the reset button on the unit doesn't even work. I have to cycle the PC's power supply to get it to reboot.

I've checked the system log for errors immediately prior to the lock up events. No errors were reported (although the system did helpfully note after rebooting that "the previous system shutdown was unplanned". No s**t.

:)

Mark Olbert, Nov 14, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 14, 2019
  3. SandyW360 Win User
    Windows 10 Sleep/Lock Problem

This advice did not work for me.

Some one wrote this.... just upgraded to Windows 10 and my monitor will not come back from Sleep or Lock Mode without turning off the computer and rebooting.

I am and I am having the same problem with not coming back from sleep mode. If I press the on off button the monitor will come back on
    but everything is locked up and then I have to turn it off on the tower. And then turn it back on. What I have found to work is turning the power options to never turn off or sleep and then just turn off the
    monitor during the day and then just shut it off at night.

SandyW360, Nov 14, 2019
  4. Windows 10 (1909) Locks Hard After Sleeping

little cat, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 (1909) Locks Hard After Sleeping

1. Windows 10 (1909) Locks Hard After Sleeping - Similar Threads - 1909 Locks Hard

2. Windows 10 won't lock at sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't lock at sleep: For no reason at all my windows has stopped locking at sleep, it includes both manually triggering sleep mode and closing the lid.Internet is dreaded with post about this issues, and for several years and with no solution!It's freaking 2023 and Microsoft has been making...
  3. Windows 10 won't lock at sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't lock at sleep: For no reason at all my windows has stopped locking at sleep, it includes both manually triggering sleep mode and closing the lid.Internet is dreaded with post about this issues, and for several years and with no solution!It's freaking 2023 and Microsoft has been making...
  4. Windows 10 won't lock at sleep

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Windows 10 1909 Will Not Install on the Hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1909 Will Not Install on the Hard drive.: I am in the process of installing Windows 10 Pro version 1909 on a number of desktop computers. I've done 4 so far. All good. Today I can't get Windows 10 to install as Install thinks that the boot hard drive does not have BIOS support. Target Computer: Dell Precision...
  6. Monitor Won’t Sleep after Locking Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor Won’t Sleep after Locking Windows: Recently after updating Windows 10 my monitor will no longer go to sleep after locking windows... you know, when you press the “windows key” and the L key at the same time. The monitor is supposed to go to sleep like a minute after locking windows, and it used to do this all...
  7. Windows 10 1909 Will not Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 1909 Will not Sleep: Ahoy, I have Version 1909 Build 18363.720. Up until Friday or Saturday it seems, Windows 10 went into sleep mode quite often, which is how I set it up but now it will not enter sleep mode at all, even overnight when the PC has been left for ten hours at least. With that...
  8. Windows 10 1909 locks system instead of putting it to sleep. Please help

Windows 10 1909 locks system instead of putting it to sleep. Please help: So I recently reinstalled my Windows OS as I upgraded SSDs, however after the update my system no longer turns of the monitors at all. It now instead locks them. Which is fine I honestly don't mind the locking of my system but what I do mind is my monitors blinding me in...
  9. Windows Locked After "Sleep" Mode

Windows Locked After "Sleep" Mode: Hi Microsoft, There is a bug in Windows (I am using Windows 10) whereby I let my laptop go into Sleep mode for a few days, after which I can no longer unlock Windows despite correct password. I checked online and many mentioned it is a common Microsoft log-in bug, but I...
  10. Bypass lock screen after sleep

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Bypass lock screen after sleep: New Dell Inspiron running W10 1607 HOME needs to have lock screen bypassed when awakening from sleep. Virtually every suggested tweak in various forums has been tried. None succeeds. Netplwiz: unchecking the "users must use" box Power Options: there are no references to...