Windows 10: Windows 10 1909 Sound issues - switching to alternate device does not work or causes...

Discus and support Windows 10 1909 Sound issues - switching to alternate device does not work or causes... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have this constant re-occurring issue only with Windows 10 Pro various versions/OS build - currently as of this post on 18363.815 TL;DR : Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KhanDownUnder, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Windows 10 1909 Sound issues - switching to alternate device does not work or causes...

I have this constant re-occurring issue only with Windows 10 Pro various versions/OS build - currently as of this post on 18363.815

TL;DR : Windows 10 - IntelR Display Audio and RealtekR Audio do not play well with each other and Realtek often takes over and I lose sound if the Intel Display Audio 'thinks' it is charge of the audio output when really it does not. The OS is an absentee parent between these two children fighting over the audio devices and it makes me a sad panda.

Issue: Sound devices not always able to detect, if detected, not always able to switch to them, if I switch to them applications using the attempting to use the audio device switched/selected will freeze and force a switch back to previous device or just crash.

Laptop with following sound devices:

Primary: RealtekR Audio - driver version: 6.0.8694.1

Secondary: IntelR Display Audio constant culprit driver version: 10.27.0.6

Intel display adaptor: UHD Graphics 630 driver version: 26.20.100.7324 funny thing is Intel site shows more recent version Version: 26.20.100.7985 Latest Date: 3/25/2020however when attempting to install that version it says it is not compatible with this adaptor not surprised in this day and age that these companies cannot even get their drivers correct

Nvidia RTX 2060 driver version: 26.21.14.4587 I list this as it has USB Audio and I am uncertain if the Display Port cable audio driver is controlled by it or not.

Monitor Acer X34P - Acer driver ver 1.0 date: 14/09/2017 though downloaded the 2018/09/14 version 1.0 from their site and installed 04/2020 with stereo speakers.

Situation: When I connect my laptop to the Acer monitor using a mini display port to display port cable or HDMIthe audio is notalways detected by Windows the operating system or OS for the rest of this post but sometimes it works, typically if the DP or HDMI cable is connected at start up. However audio output to the monitor still tends to stop if I do anything like ALT+TAB applications, switch between Realtek and monitor audio, it is almost always a one way switch to Realtek and never back to the monitor's audio.

IF the OS detects the monitor's audio and I attempt to use ANY means within the OS settings - sound - select output device OR the sound icon in the notification area on the task bar to switch audio output to it I get the follow mixed results:

• Complete failure: no audio at all from the monitor adjusting volumes levels to get the windows 'ding/feedback sound' does not produce any sound
    • IF I am playing ANY application browser streaming YouTube - Google play music - Game etc the application will hang/freeze YouTube videos go into a pause with the loading circle animation icon OR fail to switch over to the monitor for audio output and default back to the Realtek audio after 60 seconds IF I am lucky.

• Re-installing drivers does not permanently correct it.
    • Unplugging display port cables and re-connecting it does not permanently correct it.
    • Restarting the laptop every time I switch audio devices does not permanently correct it.
    • Connecting headphone to laptop will sometimes switch over to the headphones but only after clicking on 'OK' to the notification confirming I plugged them in.
    • Clean install of the OS does not permanently correct it though installing a different OS - *nix - Ubuntu 18.04 does - works 100% as intended with that.

Windows 10 1909 Sound issues - switching to alternate device does not work or causes... 5d770fb1-949b-425d-b456-ca195b4201ac?upload=true.png

:)

KhanDownUnder, Apr 24, 2020

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Apr 24, 2020
  3. csatennis Win User
    Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Apr 24, 2020
  4. Windows 10 1909 Sound issues - switching to alternate device does not work or causes...

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 1909 Sound issues - switching to alternate device does not work or causes...

1. Windows 10 1909 Sound issues - switching to alternate device does not work or causes... - Similar Threads - 1909 Sound issues

2. Switch between sound devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch between sound devices: Using windows 11, since that I have to open the sound settings to switch between my headset and my speakers. In windows 10 it was easy, just a click on the speakers symbol. I know it is hard to make windows easier to use, but why making it so complicated for users? It was way...
  3. Switch between sound devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch between sound devices: Using windows 11, since that I have to open the sound settings to switch between my headset and my speakers. In windows 10 it was easy, just a click on the speakers symbol. I know it is hard to make windows easier to use, but why making it so complicated for users? It was way...
  4. Windows 10 sound does not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 sound does not work: Due to an issue with high definition audio causing high CPU usage, which was causing the Dell Alienware laptop to be extremely slow, I uninstalled the sound drivers. This corrected the CPU problem, but now I have no sound. After rebooting the laptop, there is only one item...
  5. Audio / sound does not switch automatically after turning off a sound device

Audio / sound does not switch automatically after turning off a sound device: Hi, I used to have a Dell laptop windows 7 connected to a TV through HDMI. When I turn on the TV, the sound would switch automatically to the TV. and when I turned it off, It goes back to the Laptop speakers by itself. Now I have a new Lenovo windows 10 connected to the...
  6. Office 2010 does not work on Windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Office 2010 does not work on Windows 10 1909: Microsoft: Do you not test your Office products on Windows 10 before you force an update? Office 2010 does not work with Windows 10 version 1909. I have to go back to a Windows 7 machine to use Office. Can you not solve this problem? Shouldn't you be more careful to...
  7. The sound does not work after the 1909 update

The sound does not work after the 1909 update: Hi, the problem is that there is a problem with the sound after the 1909 update. When trying to play the test sound, there is an error "The test sound cannot be played" and there is no sound in applications such as the browser, etc....
  8. Windows Sound Device Issues

Windows Sound Device Issues: HI All, im having a sound device issue. Everything was working fine. Then one days all my sound device where gone. Even those for my hdmi port Asus F555L Laptop. I eventually found them in Device manager under System Devices instead of Sound, Video and game controller. I...
  9. "no sound device installed" audio does not work on HPnotebood with windows 10

"no sound device installed" audio does not work on HPnotebood with windows 10: The audio suddenly stopped working. The message in properties is "no audio output device installed". Is there a fix ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-device-installed-audio-does-not-work-on/db336d5a-68f9-403a-8f1a-62de651837b0
  10. Switching sound devices causes distortion/repeated sound

Switching sound devices causes distortion/repeated sound: Hey guys, I'm having a weird issue with switching between my onboard audio and my Sound Blaster Z. Whenever I set the latter to be the default device, I get what sounds like a sound repeated over and over, echoing endlessly. The reason I switch between the two is to use my...