Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 asking for "security token" on WebAuthn instead of fingerprint, etc.

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 asking for "security token" on WebAuthn instead of fingerprint, etc. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, folks. I recently had to reinstall Windows on my laptop due to an SSD failure. My organization has WebAuthn passwordless web SSO which I frequently... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TylerBletsch, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Windows 10 2004 asking for "security token" on WebAuthn instead of fingerprint, etc.

Hi, folks. I recently had to reinstall Windows on my laptop due to an SSD failure. My organization has WebAuthn passwordless web SSO which I frequently used before. In the past, when signing up for and using WebAuthn-based sites, I'd use my fingerprint to authenticate to the OS. However, it now asks for a security token which I've never had or used. Other instances of the "Making sure it's you" dialog unrelated to this do correctly allow fingerprint authentication.

Screenshot of the prompt I get: https://i.imgur.com/7JLKAlL.png
    Screenshot of prompt I expect to get from another machine: https://i.imgur.com/HFnRDQk.png

This reinstall also took me from Windows 10 1903 to 2004 -- my fear is that the newer Windows verison messed up WebAuthn support, in which case I'm screwed.

What trick or maneuver do I need to do to get normal WebAuthn support working again?

:)

TylerBletsch, Aug 8, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Why W3C WebAuthn will change the world

Source: Why WebAuthn will change the world - Microsoft Tech Community - 482286

Brink, Aug 8, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Why W3C WebAuthn will change the world

Source: Why WebAuthn will change the world - Microsoft Tech Community - 482286

Brink, Aug 8, 2020
  4. famattjr Win User

Windows 10 2004 asking for "security token" on WebAuthn instead of fingerprint, etc.

No Password but Windows asks for PW instead of fingerprint scan

This problem existed sporadically under Windows 7 but has gotten worse with Windows 10. When I first set up the computer I was never asked to set up a Windows Log in Password-I was just asked
    to enroll a fingerprint which I used to log in upon computer booting or waking up. Every once in a while it would ask me for a PW and the fingerprint scanner would not blink so I would reboot. Now with Win 10 it also sometimes just asks me for a PW which
    I don't have. So I just restart until it asks for the fingerprint scan. I'm afraid some day I won't be able to log in with the fingerprint at all. I know I should have an admin password but can't change without the old one, which I never set. A similar question
    was addressed in 2011 for Windows 7, but there were several different methods. I want to be sure before I go tinkering. I had an internet chat with a Microsoft rep couple weeks ago who was stumped and was going to get back to me but never did. MS Case #
    1299214492 Here is the previous discussion:

Lost admin password, how to retrieve the current password to change it?

famattjr, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 2004 asking for "security token" on WebAuthn instead of fingerprint, etc.

1. Windows 10 2004 asking for "security token" on WebAuthn instead of fingerprint, etc. - Similar Threads - 2004 asking security

2. Windows Hello knowing when my laptop is closed and asking me for PIN instead of fingerprint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello knowing when my laptop is closed and asking me for PIN instead of fingerprint: I have a laptop Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 11G that I often use with an external monitor HDMI and keyboard wireless, USB dongle. I have Windows Hello enabled with the fingerprint reader on the laptop. But when I'm using the external monitor and keyboard, it should know not to...
  3. Windows Hello knowing when my laptop is closed and asking me for PIN instead of fingerprint

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Hello knowing when my laptop is closed and asking me for PIN instead of fingerprint: I have a laptop Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 11G that I often use with an external monitor HDMI and keyboard wireless, USB dongle. I have Windows Hello enabled with the fingerprint reader on the laptop. But when I'm using the external monitor and keyboard, it should know not to...
  4. Windows asked to update fingerprint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows asked to update fingerprint: Hello everyone! I am really curious about this "warning" I got from my system. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take a snip on what popped up on my laptop.It actually asked me to update my fingerprint and remove my fingerprint. I may be overthinking, but I am not sure if I...
  5. Windows asked to update fingerprint

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows asked to update fingerprint: Hello everyone! I am really curious about this "warning" I got from my system. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take a snip on what popped up on my laptop.It actually asked me to update my fingerprint and remove my fingerprint. I may be overthinking, but I am not sure if I...
  6. Windows asked to update fingerprint

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. After fingerprint registration Windows 10 doesn't ask for fingerprint or password on startup.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    After fingerprint registration Windows 10 doesn't ask for fingerprint or password on startup.: Hi, I am facing a problem from when I bought my new laptop. I have the latest version of windows 10 pro. My laptop name is Lenovo Thinkbook 15 gen2 and Device ID is CF4B4B95-D049-41EB-B79E-3E3AA28B8A90. I try many things to solve this problem but I didn't solve this problem....
  8. Hosts file does not exist in etc but Windows folder instead. Windows Security quarantines...

Hosts file does not exist in etc but Windows folder instead. Windows Security quarantines...: Hello, All. Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, OS Build 19041.630 For some time Windows Security has been notifying me of a Severe level alert: SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack. This is not something new from what I've read. The affected items is file:...
  9. Windows Defender and McAfee Internet Security etc. etc. etc.???

Windows Defender and McAfee Internet Security etc. etc. etc.???: Hello. First of all, on a scale from 1 to 10, my computer skills are about 3+/-. So be gentle please. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My IP gives me free McAfee Internet Security with my plan. I see so many conflicting views regarding the idea that all one...
  10. PIN and fingerprint security keeps asking me to reset for some reason.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PIN and fingerprint security keeps asking me to reset for some reason.: I have a new Acer Spin 5 running Windows 10. I have had to reprogram my PIN multiple times in the first week. I try to use PIN access and get a message that "security settings" have changed and I'll need to set up a PIN, but I didn't change them. Today it is telling me it...