Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; As reported earlier, Windows 10 May 2020 Update appears to have broken Drive Optimizer, one of the useful tools that Microsoft ships with its operating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jul 18, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched

As reported earlier, Windows 10 May 2020 Update appears to have broken Drive Optimizer, one of the useful tools that Microsoft ships with its operating system to improve performance of the drives.

During the beta testing of the Windows 10 May 2020 Update, a number of users reported that the built-in Drive Optimizer is not behaving as it should be.

The users reported the problem to Microsoft in January and Microsoft said it fixed it in the preview builds on January 23, but broken Drive Optimizer somehow slipped into Windows 10 May 2020 Update, which was recently released to the public.

According to our tests, the Drive Optimizer remains broken and unpatched in Windows 10’s July 2020 patch for Windows 10 version 2004.

In Windows 10 version 2004 with July Patch applied, the Optimize Drive tool does not report the correct status and it doesn’t even log if a scan has been run, and therefore it warns that your drive is unoptimized.

Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched Windows-10-Optimize-Drives.jpg

Your hard drives are still scanned and optimized, but it’s not correctly recorded in the tool itself, which could cause issues and undue worry as you’re asked to optimize the already optimized SSD drive again.

Since the Drive Optimizer tool does not remember when the drive was last optimized, Windows 10 automatic maintenance tool will also optimize/defrag/TRIM your SSD partitions every time after a reboot.

By default Windows automatically runs maintenance on drives every week and it operates in the background, optimizing all of your partitions.

Starting with Windows 10 May 2020 Update, Drive Optimize tool is failing to log the status and history of its scans. Therefore, the automatic maintenance tool detects that your SSD drive needs optimization and it attempts to optimize the drive on every reboot.

To fix the defragment problem, open Windows Search and look for the Defragment and Optimize Drives app.

Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched Optimize-Drives-settings.jpg

In the Drive Optimize tool, click on “Change settings” under “Scheduled optimization,” click on “Choose” next to “Drives”. Now, un-check your SSD drive, press “OK,” and then press “OK” again.

After disabling automatic maintenance for SSD partitions, make sure that you manually optimize them every week by clicking on the ‘Optimize’ button in the same Defragment and Optimize Drives app.

The post Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jul 18, 2020

2. disk defragmenting

Sign in to your Windows 10 computer with an administrator account. It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders cannot defrag the hard disk drive.

Click the Start button.

From the left pane of the Start menu, click File Explorer.

On the opened window, from the navigation pane in the left, expand the This PC tree.

From the expanded list, right-click Local Disk (C: ) or any other partition on which Windows 10 is installed.

From the context menu, click Properties.

On the opened Local Disk (C: ) Properties box, go to the Tools tab.

From the displayed interface, under the Optimize and defragment drive section, click the Optimize button.

On the Optimize Drives box, from the displayed list, ensure that the system drive (C: in this example) is selected.

Click the Analyze button from below the list.

Wait until Windows completes the analysis and displays the percentage of the fragmented files in the selected drive.

Note: If there are no fragmented files in the drive, Windows displays a message box stating that the disk does not need to be defragmented.

After Windows completes the analysis, click the Optimize button to start the defragmentation process on the selected volume.

Wait until Windows defragments the drive successfully, restart the PC, and start using Windows 10 normally.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 18, 2020
  3. defrag

Hi Kim,

It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders
    cannot defrag the hard disk drive. We would like to ask for additional information. Please provide the following:

• Which build of Windows 10 are you using? To know about it, hit
      Start, type Winver and then press
      Enter. You could also press Windows Key + R, type
      Winver into the
      Run dialog and press Enter.
    • Are you using the administrator account on your computer or a Microsoft/guest account?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Since you've mentioned that it refuses to defrag, can you please provide us with a screenshot of it? You may refer to this

link
      on how to include a screenshot in your post.

Moreover, we recommend that you use the administrator account registered on your computer the defrag it. To optimize them:

• Select the search bar on the taskbar and enter defrag.

• Select Defragment and Optimize Drives.

Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched ee353fc9-cd9e-4635-b255-8b796f80c528-en.png

• Select the disk drive you want to optimize.

• Select the Optimize button.

Looking forward to the requested information and the results of the recommended troubleshooting steps.

PreciousLeb, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched

Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched

1. Windows 10 2004 Disk Defragment problem remains unpatched - Similar Threads - 2004 Disk Defragment

2. Disk and defrag problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk and defrag problem: My hard disk response time and usage so high i tried cmd like scannow even did reset whole pc windows again but didnt fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-and-defrag-problem/82db8693-2e98-46cb-9aa6-5d347f4e65dc
  3. SSD defragging Problem in Windows 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD defragging Problem in Windows 2004: So its well know the issue presented by Windows 2004 that it keeps Defragging the SSD drive and doesn't retain that it did it already. Why does this not appera on MS Known Issue page?? Thank You...
  4. defrag disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    defrag disk: How do I run the disk defrag program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag-disk/b78f7054-39ca-4eae-824e-6be83cdfd2c4
  5. Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 2004 - Defrag/Trim Bug: Hello everybody, Windows 10 2004 still has the bug, that the data about the time of the last operation and the current status are not saved. In some forums I have read, that therefore the planned optimization should be disabled, otherwise Windows would run it after every...
  6. Windows 10 2004 optimization/defrag bug

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 2004 optimization/defrag bug: Hi all I've just completed the Windows 10 2004 upgrade and I have noticed 2 issues. 1. When I manually trim my SSD in the drive defrag/optimize tool in windows and I reboot it says 'never optimized' when i go back. I heard this was a bug in insider preview which they...
  7. Windows 10 disk defrag not there.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 disk defrag not there.: I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and two SSD's. I wanted to setup defrag to run trim regularly but disk defrag does not seem to be installed. When I go to the tools of my SSD and click optimize nothing happens and the disk defrag service is not even installed. How can I resolve...
  8. Windows 10 disk defrag not there.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 disk defrag not there.: I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and two SSD's. I wanted to setup defrag to run trim regularly but disk defrag does not seem to be installed. When I go to the tools of my SSD and click optimize nothing happens and the disk defrag service is not even installed. How can I resolve...
  9. Defrag Disk Not Available

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defrag Disk Not Available: Hello all, I need some quick and urgent help about this application. I keep getting the following error when I try to start up my Defrag Disk app: [ATTACH] I don't understand why this happened, so I went did the following: 1) Windows + R 2) Typed services.msc 3) Hit...
  10. Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!: I really think MS should come up with a better way to put these two Disk Defragmenting and Optimizing into they're own seperate location that is meant for the different drive that users have on they're computer like put the Disk Defragmantation in the Hard disk drive location...