Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 modern sleep leaves HDD on

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 modern sleep leaves HDD on in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, my PC has a primary SSD and a secondary HDD. With this holy modern sleep thing, which cannot be deactivated anymore, the secondary HDD stays on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by fra.carol, Sep 23, 2020.

1. fra.carol Win User

Windows 10 2004 modern sleep leaves HDD on

Hi, my PC has a primary SSD and a secondary HDD. With this holy modern sleep thing, which cannot be deactivated anymore, the secondary HDD stays on even if I manually put the PC to "sleep". It's ridiculous. I really hope someone can help me with this.

Also, I activated through registry the HDD sleep timeout option but that's not the point, when my laptop is plugged in I want the HDD to stay on BUT it must go to sleep when I put the PC in standby mode.

Ok with the new modern stuff but the user must have the option to choose

:)

fra.carol, Sep 23, 2020
  2. boulard83 Win User

No sleep on SSD but sleep HDD ?

Hi guyz, the question is not exactly for me but for few friends. My main computer only have SSDs and my HTPC run 24/7 for few things like torrent so it never sleep HDD btw.

The main thing is about TRIM and/or garbage collection. Its usually better not to sleep your SSD to let the trim/GC do its job but if you ask windows to sleep or not the hard disk, windows seems to do it for every drive in the system so you end up never sleeping your HDD if you dont want to sleep your SSD. If they do nothing, HDD are better to sleep IMO.

Pics of the thing.

Windows 10 2004 modern sleep leaves HDD on [​IMG]

If you guyz have an idea or a tweaking that allow HDD sleeping but leave the SSD awake to let the TRIM/GC do its job, ill appreciate it ! ( mostly my friends *Smile Windows 10 2004 modern sleep leaves HDD on :) )

boulard83, Sep 23, 2020
  3. Olivia_hh Win User
    windows 10 black screen after update and after leaving PC to sleep?

I've tried the steps you suggested but they don't seem to work. The black screen I'm facing is only when i try to shut down or leave my PC to sleep and its completely unresponsive no cursor or anything. I've tried things others have suggested but they don't
    seem to work, Is there anything else?

Thanks for your help so far!

Olivia_hh, Sep 23, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 2004 modern sleep leaves HDD on - Similar Threads - 2004 modern sleep

2. Customize Modern Sleep and Traditional Sleep Settings on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize Modern Sleep and Traditional Sleep Settings on Windows 10?: Hello - I understand Windows 10 has this new-ish feature called Modern Idle/Sleep which is different from the traditional sleep in previous versions of Windows. In this mode, the network remains on when sleep and certain background processes can proceed, which is nice;...
  3. Customize Modern Sleep and Traditional Sleep Settings on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Customize Modern Sleep and Traditional Sleep Settings on Windows 10?: Hello - I understand Windows 10 has this new-ish feature called Modern Idle/Sleep which is different from the traditional sleep in previous versions of Windows. In this mode, the network remains on when sleep and certain background processes can proceed, which is nice;...
  4. Customize Modern Sleep and Traditional Sleep Settings on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Modern Sleep and power

Modern Sleep and power: I've been having problems with modern sleep on my corporate laptop.I select sleep, and it just stays powered on. The sleep study shows what's happening.The problem I'm currently having is my help desk is telling me for modern sleep to work correctly when I put the computer to...
  6. Modern Sleep and power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modern Sleep and power: I've been having problems with modern sleep on my corporate laptop.I select sleep, and it just stays powered on. The sleep study shows what's happening.The problem I'm currently having is my help desk is telling me for modern sleep to work correctly when I put the computer to...
  7. Modern Sleep and power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report

Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report: Hi,I've disabled on one of the laptops all possible sleep settings that it can be. Laptop still goes into sleep at a random times when lid is closed.Sleep report shows ENTER REASON0x101 Transition To SleepWhat is that code or how to find out reason why laptop enters sleep.If...
  9. How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby: Windows 2004 removed the ability to use S3 instead of S0 low power idle. My pc dell g5 5590 has a primary nvme SSD os and a secondary sata HDD data configured to "raid on" on the bios ahci option is available. When it goes to sleep the HDD keeps spinning, which I don't like,...
  10. How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby

How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby: Windows 2004 removed the ability to use S3 instead of S0 low power idle. My pc dell g5 5590 has a primary nvme SSD os and a secondary sata HDD data configured to "raid on" on the bios acpi option is available. When it goes to sleep the HDD keeps spinning, which I don't like,...