Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 Problems when accessing network shares

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 Problems when accessing network shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Two of the computers of my network has been having issues with accessing to network shares since been updated to Windows 10 2004. I had to rollback to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by donskoi116, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Windows 10 2004 Problems when accessing network shares

Two of the computers of my network has been having issues with accessing to network shares since been updated to Windows 10 2004. I had to rollback to 1909 and they work fine, but after a while the update installs again and my users cannot work with my network.

Today I have been 4 hours trying to solution this problem.

I have

• changed credentials,
    • mappet network devices again with net use in most of the cases this crash my computer and taskbar dissappear,
    • executed DISM and SFC in hope this time they do something more than making loosing my time with no luck
    • manually run services that I found as a solucion for Windows 10 1804.
    • updated all dell drivers for this computer Optiplex 3050. Actually is the computer I use myself with 2004 and not issues.
    • Disable and unable again compability with SMB 1.0 we have and old server still running in our network whose software we cannot update

As soon I try to touch any option related to the network or somtimes only opening explorer the computer collapses and the only option I have is to restart it.

Sometimes I see focus assist get activated by itself...

The rest of my computers in my network appear to work fine, even those that have same software running in this two.

I will thank if you can help me because I cannot be uninstalling the updates forever...

Regards,

Eloy

:)

donskoi116, Aug 6, 2020

2. Home Network and shared printer access problems

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are having issue with accessing the files and printer within the network and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the error message you get, while accessing the file or the Printer using Windows 7 PC?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform all the steps in all the PC that are connected in the network as suggested by Roohi Taj on January 8th, 2019
    in this

As an additional information please refer the below articles:

File sharing over a network in Windows 10

Share files in File Explorer

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share

Hi djeyewater,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that it can get difficult at times when your network Share. Accessing shared folders or network locations in Windows is never easy. Whether you’re at home or at work, sharing resources is always more complicated than
    it should be. As classic example is the ‘Windows cannot access computer 0x80004005’ error. However, I recommend you to follow the below steps.

1. Is that computer connected with the domain network?
    2. Were there any changes made to the operating system recently?
    3. Do you have any security software installed on the computer?
    If you open File Explorer, go to
    Network, and see an error message ("Network discovery is turned off…."), you'll need to turn on Network discovery to see devices on the network that are sharing files. I suggest you to follow the below steps.

We can go ahead and try to enable the Network Discovery from Advanced Sharing Settings.

Step 1: Turn on or off Network Discovery in Windows 10.

1. Type network in the search box and choose Network and Sharing Center in the list to open it.
    2. Select Change advanced sharing settings to move on.
    3. Choose Turn on network discovery
      or Turn off network discovery in the settings, and tap
      Save changes.

Step 2: Check if the feature is enabled.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    3. Then click on Programs and features.
    4. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    5. Windows Feature box will open. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, check the boxes next to SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please unchecked the box and check
      it again.
    6. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please Restart it.

Step 3: Check if all the required services are running.

1. Now we will need to check four services.

2. Press Windows key + R to open Run. Then type "Services.msc" in the run box and hit enter.

The names of the services which you will need to check are:

• Function Discovery Provide Host.
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication.
    • SSDP Discovery.
    • UPnP Device Host.
    • Also Check for DHCP Client and DNS Client.
    4. Right click on the above services and then go to properties.

5. Under General tab, make sure that the Startup type is automatic and Service status is running.

6. Then go to recovery tab and change all the entries (next to 1st failure, 2nd failure and Subsequent failure) to Restart the Service.

I also recommend you to follow this article
    Changes to file sharing over a network
    in Windows 10.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No.

Mithin_EJ, Aug 6, 2020
  4. DTG1 Win User

Windows 10 2004 Problems when accessing network shares

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 2004 Problems when accessing network shares

1. Windows 10 2004 Problems when accessing network shares - Similar Threads - 2004 Problems accessing

2. Problem with accessing Network shared Printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with accessing Network shared Printer: I've been trying to access network shared printer but it is not successful. I've configured the network sharing but I still cannot access it. The versions of the PC's are Windows 10. Windows 11 and windows 11 pro.We were able to print before with no problem. I have disabled...
  3. Problem with accessing Network shared Printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with accessing Network shared Printer: I've been trying to access network shared printer but it is not successful. I've configured the network sharing but I still cannot access it. The versions of the PC's are Windows 10. Windows 11 and windows 11 pro.We were able to print before with no problem. I have disabled...
  4. Problem with accessing Network shared Printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  6. Problem with access to network shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with access to network shares: Hello, I have a problem with network shares. I will try to describe the problem the best way I can: I share some folders from a Windows 2019 server: \\serverA.domain.local\folder1 \\serverA.domain.local\folder2 \\serverA.domain.local\folder3 Most of the users access the...
  7. Problem accessing network folders with Windows 10 2004 or 20H2

Problem accessing network folders with Windows 10 2004 or 20H2: I’ve been sharing files using a password protected Synology Diskstation for over 10 years now without a problem, that is until Windows 10 2004 Feature Update was installed it’s the same with 20H2. Of my 4 PCs only one still works successfully and to achieve that I had to...
  8. File sharing and network device access problem

File sharing and network device access problem: I have a problem with one of my laptops not being able to access shared folders. The network uses a TPlink Archer C2300 router and I have a desktop PC running Win 7 connected to this by Ethernet. I also have a Lenovo W530 laptop and a Lenovo ThinkBook 15-IML which both...
  9. Unable to access network shares after upgrading to 2004

Unable to access network shares after upgrading to 2004: Shares were accessible before the upgrade but now seeing this error... "You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated access" And it is a setting I have enabled... [ATTACH]...
  10. Network Sharing File Access Problem

Network Sharing File Access Problem: I've been reviewing the simple folder sharing setup on my three Windows 10 PCs. I'm trying to share folders between three computers on the same network by right clicking the folder and giving access to Everyone without using a Home Group. All computers have Windows 10 Pro (PC...