Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 resolution change grayed out

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 resolution change grayed out in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, So on Monday i decided to update my windows 10 installation from 1909 to the new 2004 version, everything was looking good, all drivers installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by erikgert, Jun 18, 2020.

1. erikgert Win User

Windows 10 2004 resolution change grayed out

Hi,

So on Monday i decided to update my windows 10 installation from 1909 to the new 2004 version, everything was looking good, all drivers installed and working fine, but then after a random reboot no driver changes or anything, just rebooted the machine the resolution got stuck at 640 * 480 my monitors native resolution is 3440 * 1440 and the option to change it is disabled it's grayed out

After running through the device manager i notice it has removed the driver i installed for the monitor and is now using a standard "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" when i try to change back to the actual driver it does not allow me to at first, claiming that the selected driver is already the best, i was able to force it by manually going and pointing at the driver, but that didn't have any effect on the resolution.

Fine, I'll rollback as a last resort and see if that helps, it did!

I decided again to try and upgrade and after installing the updates again everything was okay, resolution fine and no issues.

After a few restarts again the resolution got stuck and my monitor driver was again changed.

I'm thinking perhaps it's an issue with the upgrade process, I download a newer ISO with the 2004 version already integrated and install this.

Everything is good once it's installed and after i install drivers and reboot there are no issues, i actually continue to use the machine for work and gaming all night without any issues.

Today after i start the machine, the resolution is once again stuck at 640 * 480, again my driver is changed and I'm unable to fix it.

I have never ever had any issues like this with prior versions of windows 10, from what i can read online there are a lot of suggestions to fix this but they're all driver related yet after i install my drivers there are no issues what so ever.

Is this 2004 version really as doomed and update as everyone says or can someone help me understand and potentially fix my issue.

Worst case I'll have to go back to 1909 and stay there and forget about any future updates.

PC Specs. it's an older maching

MB: P8Z77-I

CPU: I7 3770K

GPU: Vega 64

Monitor: AOC U3477PQU

:)

erikgert, Jun 18, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Change resolution without seeing

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below. Check if it helps.

• Press Windows key on the keyboard
    • Click on settings
    • Go to Display
    • Click on Advance display settings
    • Change the resolution (1280x1024 recommended)

Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.

To enter into low-resolution mode
    in Windows 10 in change the settings in it, follow the steps given below.

• Restart your PC.
    • Press Shift + F8 before the Windows logo appears.
    • Click See Advanced Repair Options.
    • Click Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced Options.
    • Click Windows Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Help! Windows 10 changed my resolution and can't see anything!!

Hi Etan,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Monitors can support resolutions that are lower than their native resolutions, but text won't look as sharp and the display might be small, centered on the screen, edged with black, or stretched. It is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display
    to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor. Your screen resolution needs to be at least
    1024x768 to have multiple windows and apps on your screen at the same time.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to set the Display Resolution on your monitor to the recommended level. Follow the below steps

• Open the Start menu and type Settings in the search bar.
    • Click on System and select Display.
    • Make sure that you have set the Change the size of the text, apps and other items to 100%
      recommended.
    • Click on Advanced display settings.
    • Select the monitor and make sure that you have selected Resolution
      to 1920*1080 Recommended.
    If the issue still persists, then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the display adapter then try to change the screen resolution.

Follow the steps given below to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers.  

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapters and select Uninstall.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer to download the latest display adapters.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jun 18, 2020
  4. Windows 10 2004 resolution change grayed out

Resolution?

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to change the screen resolution in Windows 10. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

Before we proceed, we require more information to assist you better.

• What are the options you are getting?
    • How exactly are you trying to change the screen resolution?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to change the screen resolution.

• Right click on desktop.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click on Advance display settings.
    • Under resolution drop down, you can select the option 1600x900.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 2004 resolution change grayed out

1. Windows 10 2004 resolution change grayed out - Similar Threads - 2004 resolution change

2. Change ownership is grayed out, how to fix that.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change ownership is grayed out, how to fix that.: Hi,I need to delete the scan history of my WIN11 install. I had some files that I removed from the AV scan, still, windows says it needs to take action against it even tho the files are long goneso here comes my second problem other than Windows is stupid and figure that out...
  3. Change ownership is grayed out, how to fix that.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change ownership is grayed out, how to fix that.: Hi,I need to delete the scan history of my WIN11 install. I had some files that I removed from the AV scan, still, windows says it needs to take action against it even tho the files are long goneso here comes my second problem other than Windows is stupid and figure that out...
  4. 2nd Display Resolution setting grayed out, Display fixed to 640x480

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd Display Resolution setting grayed out, Display fixed to 640x480: Hi there, asking for your help!I use my Lenovo T14 Laptop PC connected via USB-C to a docking station.Through the docking station I connect to 1 display with HDMI, and 2nd with DP adapter.This 2nd Display suddenly changed it resolution to 640x480, and the setting is grayed...
  5. 2nd Display Resolution setting grayed out, Display fixed to 640x480

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd Display Resolution setting grayed out, Display fixed to 640x480: Hi there, asking for your help!I use my Lenovo T14 Laptop PC connected via USB-C to a docking station.Through the docking station I connect to 1 display with HDMI, and 2nd with DP adapter.This 2nd Display suddenly changed it resolution to 640x480, and the setting is grayed...
  6. Screen Resolution Grayed Out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen Resolution Grayed Out: I cannot change my screen resolution it is just grayed out. I went to device manager and it said all the drivers were up to date. I went into the properties but did not see a "Compatibility" tab that others have talked about. I don't know what else to try?...
  7. Unable to change screen resolution - Grayed out

Unable to change screen resolution - Grayed out: I have been using two external monitors in addition to the laptop screen successfully for some time. A few days ago, the 3rd monitor attached to a USB adapter started showing the screen in a lower resolution (800x600) instead of 1024x768. When I tried to reset the resolution...
  8. Windows 10 settings window grayed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 settings window grayed out: Beginning of the issue was that my spotlight image doesn't change so I follow the steps from the link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/windows-spotlight-lock-screen-picture-wont-change/443cc26c-29f1-4481-80c9-6fb7130f6191 After follow...
  9. Resolution setting is grayed out in Display Settings. Windows 10 laptop with external monitor

Resolution setting is grayed out in Display Settings. Windows 10 laptop with external monitor: Hi I connected my windows 10 laptop to a V7 D22W12 monitor. The driver of the monitor is Non-PNP Generic. Maximum resolution of this monitor is 1680 x 1050 But I only have 1366 x 768 option and it's grayed out. How can I get the maximum resolution? This is how it looks:...
  10. Change resolution without signing out?

in Windows 10 Support
    Change resolution without signing out?: So on my dell xps 13 that I just put windows 10 on, I'm looking for a way to have the icons rescale to the correct size when changing displays without signing out? For example, I'll have it plugged into my monitor, then unplug the laptop to use it, and when the laptop screen...