Windows 10: windows 10 (2004 update) doesn't show thumbnails

Discus and support windows 10 (2004 update) doesn't show thumbnails in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My Windows 10 has stopped showing thumbnails, and I can't figure out why. I have tried: Turning on 'Show icons, never thumbnails', THEN rebooting,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/frumbert, Aug 6, 2020.

1. windows 10 (2004 update) doesn't show thumbnails

My Windows 10 has stopped showing thumbnails, and I can't figure out why. I have tried:

• Turning on 'Show icons, never thumbnails', THEN rebooting, and THEN unticking the same, and THEN rebooting. This made no difference.

• Using the Disk Cleanup tool to 'clean thumbnails' and THEN rebooting. This made no difference. Also tried this in safe mode.

• Using an elevated command prompt to navigate to the icon cache folder (inside appdata/local/microsoft/windows/explorer I think it was) and delete all the icon and thumbnail databases, THEN reboot. This made no difference.

• I ran SFC / scannow at an elevated command prompt, rebooted afterwards. This took ages, but made no difference.

• Tried making another local user profile and logged into it. Opened a folder with pictures in it. No thumbnails would generate.

Thumbnails do not appear if I enable the preview window in explorer. I get a white box with no content for many file types. A word document takes a minute to show up. A zip file says 'no preview available'. A picture file just stays white forever.

Thumbnails do not appear if I enable the Details pane. I can see image information such as its size and exif data. But the preview is just the file icon.

submitted by /u/frumbert
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/frumbert, Aug 6, 2020
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Dgo47 Win User
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Aug 6, 2020
  4. windows 10 (2004 update) doesn't show thumbnails

Windows 10 quicktime thumbnails

Hi Ali,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please provide more information to help :

• When you say "the thumbnails are just icons", is that on a local account or the Microsoft account?

• Do you have the latest version of ProRes or iTunes installed on the pc?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and verify the result.

• Go to file explorer and clock on view.

• Select Options and Go to View.

• Under Files and folders uncheck the box always show icon, never thumbnails.

I also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

windows 10 (2004 update) doesn't show thumbnails

1. windows 10 (2004 update) doesn't show thumbnails - Similar Threads - 2004 update doesn't

2. explorer doesn't show thumbnails and other issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    explorer doesn't show thumbnails and other issues: HiI'm under windows 10 and file explorer has several issues.Currently :-file explorer displays no thumbnails and "options" is grayed out. -if I try to open or drag a picture, explorer freezes and has to be restarded.-same thing if I right click a file and press "open with"On...
  3. windows 10: after windows update KB5015807 explorer doesn't show any icons or thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10: after windows update KB5015807 explorer doesn't show any icons or thumbnails: Hi there,After Windows updated yesterday on my laptop to KB5015807, the file explorer doesn't show icons or thumbnails anymore, just the names of the objects. Also, when I right click on any object in the explorer, the corresponding "Properties" window won't show up. On my...
  4. windows 10: after windows update KB5015807 explorer doesn't show any icons or thumbnails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10: after windows update KB5015807 explorer doesn't show any icons or thumbnails: Hi there,After Windows updated yesterday on my laptop to KB5015807, the file explorer doesn't show icons or thumbnails anymore, just the names of the objects. Also, when I right click on any object in the explorer, the corresponding "Properties" window won't show up. On my...
  5. windows 10: after windows update KB5015807 explorer doesn't show any icons or thumbnails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows 10 Update 2004 not showing

Windows 10 Update 2004 not showing: So recently i got a new PC It updated to version 1909 having recently updated to 2004 on my other PC i think the new PC should also update to it plus there's the new October update i heard a rumour that they will come together 2004 and October update any date for the October...
  7. Windows 10 update 2004 doesn't work

Windows 10 update 2004 doesn't work: It's been going on like this for two days. All I'm getting is a blue screen when I turn on my PC and I've tried all of the tips and none of it has worked....
  8. thumbnails not showing in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    thumbnails not showing in windows 10: after a recent update, I have seen that picture thumbnails are not shown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnails-not-showing-in-windows-10/a3a6aaec-6a9c-469c-894c-c66be04cfbd0
  9. Windows 10 not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 not showing thumbnails: I have had this problem on and off for some time. Windows 10 will not show thumbnails. It generates them and as you watch they turn back to icons. I have cleared the thumbnail cache including doing this via the CMD line to be sure. I have reset the options to default...
  10. Windows 10 Thumbnails - not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Thumbnails - not showing: I have two identical versions of W10 running on two machines. On one I see thumbnails of my photographs. On the other I see the 'mountain image' I have compared the settings on the two - they are as far as I can see both the same - and spent about three hours with this...