Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 update fails several times

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 update fails several times in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello there, Please help me solving this issue. I tried updating Windows 10 1909 into 2004 several times 4 times, and it fails. The last update run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pixelbotz, Sep 26, 2020.

1. pixelbotz Win User

Windows 10 2004 update fails several times

Hello there,

Please help me solving this issue.

I tried updating Windows 10 1909 into 2004 several times 4 times, and it fails. The last update run was yesterday and I executed the following steps.

1. Deleted Software distribution folder.

2. Deleted CATROOT2 folder.

3. Restarted the computer.

4. Ran Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

5. Ran SFC /SCANNOW

6. Restarted the computer.

7. From within windows update, executed the 'download and install' notification for 2004 update. The download completed as 100% and the computer was rebooted. After the reboot, the update went up to 22% and then rebooted again. Then, the following messages were displayed after the reboot.

a. Trying to recover your installation..

b. Undoing changes made to your computer..

8. Then it rebooted again and reverted back to the last working configuration - 1909 build 18363.1082.

The HW and Software :

Intel i5, 4th Gen M480, Intel HD Grpahics with WDDM 1.1 All the drivers are up-to-date

Windows 10 Enterprise Edition

Free space on OS drive is 72 GB, two other partitions with more than 100 GB.

During the update, all the USB attached external drives and peripherals was detached and left with bare metal HW with just the external KB and mouse.

Not sure why the update keep failing. I keep getting the latest windows updates frequently and there are no issues with existing build either. except the external mouse not responding at times

Really appreciate your help!

Thank you - pixel b.

:)

pixelbotz, Sep 26, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Sep 26, 2020
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Windows 10 2004 update fails several times

Windows 10 fails to update

Thanks,

The Users list compared to the Profile list you posted earlier tell me there is not an issue with Users (a known issue where there is a profile in the list, but not actual User folder).

The error code suggests corruption in the CBS manifest:
    Try these steps one at time until the issue is resolved or you run out of steps.

Is Windows activated?
    No? Activate Windows 10

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following line
    reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /s
    If DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

launch regedit
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    change the value of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess to 0
    exit regedit
    exit Command Prompt

Launch Windows Update

Try the next suggestion if the issue is not resolved.

Restore health to the component store
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
    Step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    - OR -
    Step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    Check System Files
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Read the front material, then
    follow >> OPTION THREE <<
    To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If there are integrity issues reported on screen,
    Follow the instructions in >> OPTION FIVE <<
    To View Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

If there are no integrity errors, Launch Windows Update

Paste the following line into the address bar of File Explorer
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\TroubleshootingLaunch System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
    Press Advanced
    Select Run as administrator
    Press Next

Launch Windows Update

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    Download and run MS Windows Update diagnostic cab (direct download)

Launch Windows Update

Manually reset Windows Updates via batch file

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Launch Windows Update

Slartybart, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 2004 update fails several times

1. Windows 10 2004 update fails several times - Similar Threads - 2004 update fails

2. Windows failed to update several times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows failed to update several times: My PC, which is in the insider program, has failed to update multiple times. When I tried to install the latest release preview build, it gave me a 0x800f081f error. When I installed the beta update, it gave me 0x800f0905. When I checked the insider page it said I was on the...
  3. Windows failed to update several times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows failed to update several times: My PC, which is in the insider program, has failed to update multiple times. When I tried to install the latest release preview build, it gave me a 0x800f081f error. When I installed the beta update, it gave me 0x800f0905. When I checked the insider page it said I was on the...
  4. KB5016695 failed update several times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5016695 failed update several times: Several times over the past few days I have tried to update:2022-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5016695Each time it has failed and there is no way to circumvent this as far I could find.I couldn't find it to download from the catalog...
  5. KB5016695 failed update several times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5016695 failed update several times: Several times over the past few days I have tried to update:2022-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5016695Each time it has failed and there is no way to circumvent this as far I could find.I couldn't find it to download from the catalog...
  6. Windows 10 update 2004 fails every. single. time.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 update 2004 fails every. single. time.: For the life of me I cant get my computer to update to the 2004 update. Every time I attempt to update it after rebooting it gets to 94% installed then stalls for 15 minutes and the install fails and reverts. I have tried installing through the regular windows updater, I...
  7. Windows 10 2004 update fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 2004 update fail: 2004 "Download and install" selected. "Getting things ready" ran twice, the download later shewed 100% complete for 3 hours!! Ran t/shooter and got "failed update" RETRY. Selected retry and option to "Download and install" re-appeared. Same result, any solutions please. Not...
  8. Severe screen issues with Windows 10 2004 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Severe screen issues with Windows 10 2004 update: 2004 worked.. "okay" for like 2 days after install.. now when waking from sleep all I get is a grey screen with the white arrow and I CAN'T do anything. If I hibernate, I get a colorful static screen then I have to push the power button to force shut down and start up...
  9. Downloaded Windows 10 several times, but installation fails.

Downloaded Windows 10 several times, but installation fails.: I have been working on this for a while. Actually, getting to this point is progress from where I started. My computer is an Acer Laptop with a 1 tb hard drive and 8 gigs of ram. I recently had the hard drive replaced, and after this was done, I found I had several things...
  10. Update 1803 Installation has failed several times

Update 1803 Installation has failed several times: As my subject says, 1803 won't install. Where do I find the error code? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-1803-installation-has-failed-several-times/57c635c7-c0cd-41de-a190-5d039b179ace