Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 update - multiple issues

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 update - multiple issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've received the 2004 feature update for my system previously running 1909. I after rebooting I get a login screen, but after login I only have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DaveKerr5, Nov 16, 2020.

1. DaveKerr5 Win User

Windows 10 2004 update - multiple issues

I've received the 2004 feature update for my system previously running 1909.

I after rebooting I get a login screen, but after login I only have a blank screen with a mouse cursor. After a long time 15-30min I get a blue screen saying something to the effect that oobe had a problem. Clicking the "try again" button doesn't resolve the problem. Booting in safe mode works, however, trying to use windows update to revert shows that there's a problem with windows update and I'm unable to roll-back.

I restored 1909 from an image backup, the 2004 update appeared again. I installed and during the process maybe before rebooting, not sure, I noticed several problems:

- The desktop icons weren't being displayed they just had outlined boxes as opposed with document type specific icons.

- Trying to open a windows explorer gave messages that there's no app associated, or that system call failed. Also noticed that pressing the window key and typing something like "system restore point" I only get web search results as opposed to a command suggestion.

- The desktop color scheme changed - it went to a "light" mode.

- The default browser changed

I've tried to run the repair windows - but it said there were no problems.

Not sure why it's trying oobe - I thought that was only for brand new install of win10 as opposed to an update?

Are there any log files that would help to isolate what the problem is? Since I can boot in safe mode, I could review that log to help troubleshoot.

I'm unable to use windows update in safe mode to rollback - due to an unspecified error in windows update.

Any suggestions how to resolve this?

Thanks

:)

DaveKerr5, Nov 16, 2020

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Nov 16, 2020
  3. OldNavyGuy, Nov 16, 2020
  4. Windows 10 2004 update - multiple issues

Serious Updates Question

When you install a Feature Update, all Windows Updates since the release will be installed as well.

The installer tells you it's doing so.

At this time, there are multiple issues with Windows 10 2004.

I would suggest waiting a while, until the "list" gets shorter.

OldNavyGuy, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 2004 update - multiple issues

1. Windows 10 2004 update - multiple issues - Similar Threads - 2004 update multiple

2. Multiple Windows 10 Update issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple Windows 10 Update issues: Windows Update: Updates fail, Update history lists multiple unsuccessful to load the same KB "Failed to install on multiple dates - 0x80070426". In the main Update page "Retry" to download the same KB, after several minutes stuck on 45% leads to "Download error" with the...
  3. Multiple Issues after 2020 Update (2004)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple Issues after 2020 Update (2004): Since updating to 2004, my laptop has had repeated issues, that though mostly minor are getting to be really annoying. *Multiple can't sign-in to profile instances. So far 1-2 restarts gets in back to normal. *Windows keeps changing my region and keyboard layout (from Ireland...
  4. Multiple Problems with 2004 Update

Multiple Problems with 2004 Update: Hi all, With the 2004 updates, starting about two or three months ago, I've been having nothing but problems andI have not seen anyone talking about the update with their computers since 2016-2019. I don't even know what discussion category to put this in because it has...
  5. Windows 10 update 2004 issue.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 update 2004 issue.: Anybody else have this issue and have been able to fix it? Since I upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004, when I press any icon or program, and have my browser open, the program or file goes to the background and not the foreground. Any ideas? This only happens when I open an...
  6. WIndows 10 2004 update Issue

WIndows 10 2004 update Issue: I have 2 PCs, a laptop on windows 10 1903 and a surface Pro 6 on windows 10 1909. I tried updating my Surface Pro 6 to windows 10 2004. After the update I realized the hard disk had 30GB less space on it, Going from 80gb to 50gb free. Now, my Laptop had previously been backed...
  7. Multiple download issues in Windows 10 Windows Update/Microsoft Store/Windows 10 ver 2004

Multiple download issues in Windows 10 Windows Update/Microsoft Store/Windows 10 ver 2004: I am having various issues with downloads/updates from Microsoft, and can't help but think they are related: Windows Update - auto update has not worked properly for at least 6 months. When I run Windows Update from Settings, I get the dreaded "We couldn't connect to the...
  8. Windows 2004 update issues

Windows 2004 update issues: I have recently upgraded my PC and Laptop to the new windows 10 2004 feature update. The PC works fine its a brand new machine. The laptop is a 2 year old Dell running an SSD and mechanical disk drive. The laptop now has a pop up saying Intel Optane DLL link missing and I...
  9. Windows update 2004 issue

in Cortana
    Windows update 2004 issue: I recently updated windows and now cortana will not open. I see the white box open and then close again a second later. I have tried scanning windows files but it says unable to repair cortana in the log. I have tries the powershell fix also but after spending the whole day...
  10. Microsoft addresses multiple issues in Windows 10 version 2004

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft addresses multiple issues in Windows 10 version 2004: Microsoft recently acknowledged multiple known issues in Windows 10 May 2020 Update, which is scheduled to release between May 26 and 28. For reference, Microsoft warned that the May 2020 Update broke Windows Mixed Reality and the feature does not work correctly for many...