Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 update seems to have reverted my user profile somehow

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 update seems to have reverted my user profile somehow in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just installed the update to Windows 10 2004 version. After the reboot I noticed that a couple of the shortcuts on my desktop were missing. Odd.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MattSchulte, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Windows 10 2004 update seems to have reverted my user profile somehow

I just installed the update to Windows 10 2004 version. After the reboot I noticed that a couple of the shortcuts on my desktop were missing. Odd.

Then I opened my browser and I noticed that it restored tabs that I haven't had open in weeks instead of what I was working on earlier today.

After that happened I realized there were several things that seem to have have been reverted to some unknown time ago. If I open the history of my browsers, it shows what I have opened after the update today, and the last thing that it has was from June 2, six weeks ago!

I went to look at rolling back this update in the windows settings, and the button is grayed out and it says I upgraded more than 10 days ago.

Looking at my Windows version it says I am running 18363, which if my searching is correct is version 1909. How did I end up here and how do I get back?

:)

MattSchulte, Aug 13, 2020
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Aug 13, 2020
  3. JimH_377 Win User
    after latest update 2004 lost user profil, can i get it back

After updating latest version to 2004, lost my user profile, now my desktop, and programs are gone. is there any way to get my user profile back? or maybe revert back before update?

JimH_377, Aug 13, 2020
  4. Windows 10 2004 update seems to have reverted my user profile somehow

(WINDOWS 10)"The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you while logging-in with the guest user account on Windows 10.

This issue might be due to the User profile Services, please follow the below and check.

I suggest you to Check the status of User profile services.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command, type
      Services.msc and press Enter.
    • Search for User Profile Service, right click on it and
      start the service.
    • Also, set the Startup type to
      Automatic
    • Now check if you are able to log-in.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 2004 update seems to have reverted my user profile somehow

1. Windows 10 2004 update seems to have reverted my user profile somehow - Similar Threads - 2004 update seems

2. Windows 11 update somehow scrambled or changed by user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update somehow scrambled or changed by user profile: I turned on my computer today and everything looked different on the desktop ... the appearance was different, all the file icons were gone, my taskbar personalization disappeared ... and in File Explorer "Documents" and "Desktop" were empty ... and my Firefox bookmarks were...
  3. Windows 11 update somehow scrambled or changed by user profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update somehow scrambled or changed by user profile: I turned on my computer today and everything looked different on the desktop ... the appearance was different, all the file icons were gone, my taskbar personalization disappeared ... and in File Explorer "Documents" and "Desktop" were empty ... and my Firefox bookmarks were...
  4. My Windows 10 is somehow stuck in version 2004

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows 10 is somehow stuck in version 2004: I wanted to get the new Windows 11 update so I headed to "updates" in settings, but then I realized that my Windows is currently in the 2004 version. I then tried to make it up to date but it did not let me. I've restarted my pc a number of times but nothing changes. It also...
  5. 2004 damaging user profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2004 damaging user profile: So, I really need some help. My computer has tried twice in the last couple of months to apply the 2004 update. Both times when it finishes installing it comes back to tell me that I can’t login. I’ve tried all of the suggestions out there about deleting the temporary profile...
  6. Win10 2004 Update killed my audio and user profile

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 2004 Update killed my audio and user profile: Hello everyone, my system automatically installed the newest windows update at 16.08.2020 with a restart. I immediately noticed that some minor changes/bugs appeared profile picture is a "pixelated placeholder" and the lock screen function does not work anymore. I could log...
  7. Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile: When logging in I've used my normal password but Windows gives me one profile (when I have two) and tells me it cannot find user profile! I don't have a password reset disc and from the early days of Win10 and numerous updates have never had this problem. HELP - where to...
  8. Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 2004 update locked me out of my user profile: When logging in I've used my normal password but Windows gives me one profile (when I have two) and tells me it cannot find user profile! I don't have a password reset disc and from the early days of Win10 and numerous updates have never had this problem. HELP - where to...
  9. Win10 2004 update does not recognise my user profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 2004 update does not recognise my user profile: I have two profiles, one not recognised and one not shown. Cannot login! What to do to access my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-2004-update-does-not-recognise-my-user/f52a3d45-5d75-435b-a835-31b3854112cf
  10. windows 10 ver 2004 User Profile failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 ver 2004 User Profile failed: Hi, I downloaded and installed the version last . It takes a long time. But this morning when I tried to login, it kept saying User profile failed. I tried my pin and also the passwd. It won't start. It kept saying the same "User profile failed". I tried restart etc few...