Windows 10: Windows 10 2004 update turns on a disabled touch screen

Discus and support Windows 10 2004 update turns on a disabled touch screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi In the past, people have asked why the major updates of Windows 10 insist on turning on a touch screen that the user has turned off. The answer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ricko G, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Ricko G Win User

Windows 10 2004 update turns on a disabled touch screen

Hi

In the past, people have asked why the major updates of Windows 10 insist on turning on a touch screen that the user has turned off.

The answer from Microsoft is that there is no way of permanently turning off the touch screen, and the only solution is to disable Windows 10 updates!

In my view this is unacceptable!

Why do these updates insist on turning on a disabled touch screen? Such updates do not interfere with any other user settings!

My touch screen on my Surface Pro does not work since it was dropped. Everything else works fine including the attached Microsoft keyboard. Every time a new major update is installed I struggle to turn off the touch screen before the pointer is totally unstable and moves all over the screen and beyond until it disappears completely never to be seen again! It's like a game of chance against the clock to get to the menu to find the HID and disable it!

And suggesting that anyone should disable updates is crazy in the world of a high risk internet!

PLEASE, PLEASE, Microsoft, don't enable a disable touch screen in future updates! A disabled touch screen is disabled by the user for a reason!

:)

Ricko G, Sep 23, 2020

2. Touch screen disabled in Windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check, if it helps:

Method 1: Try to run a inbuilt
    Hardware troubleshooter
    and check.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your touch Screen. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting
      and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Follow the on-screen instructions and check.
    Method 2.Try updating the Touch screen drivers from the manufacturer's website and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps to update the touch Screendrivers:

• Press Windows key + X key and click
      Device Manager.
    • Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.
    • Right-click on the Sound card and click on
      Update driver software.

• Restart the computer and check.
    Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sachin Venkatesh, Sep 23, 2020
  3. How to turn off/ disable touch screen feature in Windows 10?

Hi Issac,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about disabling the touch screen feature on Windows 10. We will help you with this issue.

Do lets us know the make and model of your device?

Follow the below steps to disable touch screen feature:

Steps:

• Press Windows + X, click on Control Panel, select
      Category and then select Large or Small icons.
    • Click on Pen and touch icon.
    • Click on Touch tab.
    • Uncheck the checkbox next to Use your finger as an input device.
    • Click Apply and Ok.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 23, 2020
  4. Windows 10 2004 update turns on a disabled touch screen

Touch screen is disabled

Hi Roy,

Thank you for responding.

This issue might be due to drivers which are to be updated.

I suggest you to update the drivers for touch feature in Device Manager:

Steps:

• Right click on Windows key from the desktop and click on
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Human Interface Devices, right click on the
      Touch screen driver and select Update Driver Software.

Also, I suggest you to contact the device manufacturer website and try to update the chipset drivers as well.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 2004 update turns on a disabled touch screen

1. Windows 10 2004 update turns on a disabled touch screen - Similar Threads - 2004 update turns

2. how to turn on touch screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to turn on touch screen: How do you turn touch screen function back on ? Why would it go off ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-touch-screen/9f8adb63-f100-4d5e-b690-c8e9453480d7
  3. how to turn on touch screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to turn on touch screen: How do you turn touch screen function back on ? Why would it go off ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-touch-screen/9f8adb63-f100-4d5e-b690-c8e9453480d7
  4. How to turn off touch screen on a Windows 10 monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off touch screen on a Windows 10 monitor?: I got a wet splash on my monitor in two spots and now it is permanently registering touch in those spots even after I clean them off. I can't use my mouse or touchscreen to navigate, only my keyboard. Is there a way to turn touchscreen off without having to click anything or...
  5. how to turn on touch screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to turn on touch screen: Ive inadvertently turned off the touch screen feature of my Dell ALl in One and I can't find where to toggle it back on. The Windows search for "Touch" or "Touch Screen" doesnt return an answer....
  6. windows 10 1903 disabled the option to turn off touch pad

windows 10 1903 disabled the option to turn off touch pad: windows 10 1903 disabled the option to turn off touch pad on HP laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1903-disabled-the-option-to-turn-off/58193715-e023-4dab-a598-2be7ad6a9b77
  7. Touch Screen Functions disabled

Touch Screen Functions disabled: I just got a new touch screen laptop then I changed the version from the latest windows 10 1909 to 2019 version of 1809 windows 10. After I switched then moved my finger on the screen nothing happened, and my narrator read nothing. The touch screen function has disabled, and...
  8. Update: The touch screen is overly sensitive and has to be disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update: The touch screen is overly sensitive and has to be disabled: When I bought my computer it worked fine. If I do a restore it works fine. When it is updated it does not. The mouse pad jumps when tapped. The light on my mute button does not work. The touch screen is overly sensitive and has to be disabled. Sometimes your updates report...
  9. Ghost touch touch screen Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ghost touch touch screen Windows 10: Yesterday my touch screen started acting as if someone was touching the middle of the screen repeatedly (like 10-15 times a second). I virtually disables my ability to use the mouse. I have cleaned the screen, rebooted, gone into device manager and updated the drivers,...
  10. Enable or Disable Touch Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Touch Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Touch Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Touch Screen in Windows 10 A touchscreen, or touch screen, is an input device that enables you to interact directly with what is displayed, rather than using a mouse, touchpad, or other such...