Windows 10: Windows 10 20H1: Paint and WordPad turned into optional features

Discus and support Windows 10 20H1: Paint and WordPad turned into optional features in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 20H1, the first feature update version of 2020 for Windows 10 and the first major update for Windows 10 after Windows 10 version 1903, will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 18, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 20H1: Paint and WordPad turned into optional features

Windows 10 20H1, the first feature update version of 2020 for Windows 10 and the first major update for Windows 10 after Windows 10 version 1903, will introduce quite a number of changes to the operating system.

Microsoft continues to push new builds to the Insider Channel that feature some of the changes. The latest Windows 10 20H1 build, build 18963, makes a handful of Windows tools optional features. The tools, e.g. WordPad and Paint, are still available by default.

All recent versions of Windows support optional features; this come with the operating system by default and can be enabled or disabled through the Settings application in Windows 10, Control Panel in previous versions of Windows and earlier Windows 10 versions, and via Windows PowerShell.

Some optional features are enabled by default, others are disabled. You may find that certain business tools and features, e.g. IIS-related tools, RSAT components, OpenSSH Server, or WMI SNMP Provider, are not enabled by default.

Microsoft started to turn some core Windows programs into optional features. Windows Media Player was one of the first tools that Microsoft made an optional feature.

New optional features in Windows 10 20H1

Windows 10 20H1: Paint and WordPad turned into optional features paint-wordpad-steps-recorder-optional-features-windows-10-20h1.png

Note: the following observations are based on a preview version of Windows 10 20H1. Things may change before release.

When you check the list of optional features in recent Windows 10 version 20H1 builds, you may notice that several components were added to the list by Microsoft.

A quick comparison between the optional features of Windows 10 version 1809 and Windows 10 20H1 reveals the following core additions:

• Microsoft Paint
    • Microsoft Quick Assist
    • Microsoft Windows User Experience
    • Steps Recorder
    • WordPad

Microsoft listed Microsoft Paint (MS Paint) as deprecated in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update as it favored a new interpretation of Microsoft Paint called Microsoft Paint 3D instead. After some outcry, Microsoft confirmed that Paint would be included in Windows 10 version 1903 and that it would be included in Windows 10 for the time being.

Microsoft planned to move Paint to the Microsoft Store initially but that has not happened and there are not any signs that this is going to happen anytime soon.

The integration as an optional feature does not remove Microsoft Paint from the Windows 10 operating system; in fact, Paint is enabled by default in recent builds of Windows 10 20H1 which suggests that it remains available by default in that version at the very least.

The same is true for WordPad, a trusted but somewhat dated application to view and edit Word documents, and Steps Recorder, a basic desktop recording application.

Why is Microsoft making these components optional?

Optional features that are enabled by default may be disabled on the system. While that does not free up any disk space on the computer's hard drive, it removes traces of these applications from the Start Menu and some other locations, e.g. the context menu. Paint or WordPad can't be uninstalled in previous versions of Windows 10 or Windows.

Microsoft's decision to make these tools optional could have practicable reasons as well as it may be the first step of the removal process. The entire process could look like this:

• Windows 10 20H1: make certain tools optional features that are enabled by default.
    • Later on: change the initial state of the tools to disabled by default.
    • Even later: remove these tools entirely or move them to the Microsoft Store to offer them there.
    Closing Words

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks/). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 20H1: Paint and WordPad turned into optional features appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 18, 2019

2. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Aug 18, 2019
  3. The King is Dead; Long Live the King - MS Paint's Announced Demise

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

dorsetknob, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Can't log in to Remix 3d paint

Hi,

This can be due to a recent change in the configuration of your device. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you reset the application from the apps and features in Windows 10. This option will reset the configuration
    of the application to the default state. To do this, follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type Apps & features and press
      Enter.
    • From the list of applications search for Paint
      3D.
    • Click Paint 3D and select
      Advanced options.
    • Click Reset.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 20H1: Paint and WordPad turned into optional features - Similar Threads - 20H1 Paint WordPad

2. Windows 10 Optional Features

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Optional Features: HelloI found the below article exactly my problem while searching for a solution for Optional features that fail to install, no error, no progress on the bar, just hangs for a while and...
  3. Wordpad, paint, notepad not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wordpad, paint, notepad not working: After system repair, wordpad & paint not getting open. Message is appearing as "unable to create new document". Notepad not even responding at all. Someone has given soluation that Wordpad.exe file should be at correct location. But i am not able to find out that file also....
  4. features in Win. 10 20h1

in Windows 10 Customization
    features in Win. 10 20h1: hello: I reinstalled Win. 10 to 20h1 or 2004, but I like to know where is the banner under settings? I don't see it. I've read that there is that feature in 20h1 but I don't see it. Why is it the new Edge is not offered in the Windows update? I have to install it manually....
  5. No Windows Sandbox option in turn Windows features on/off

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Windows Sandbox option in turn Windows features on/off: Hi all. I really need Windows Sandbox, but i can't find it in turn Windows features on/off [ATTACH] Yes, I have virtualization enabled [ATTACH] Yes, I have Windows Pro, and yes, I have the 1909 [ATTACH] I don't really know what to do at this point Please help...
  6. Windows 10 to offer Paint and WordPad as optional features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 to offer Paint and WordPad as optional features: Windows 10 20H1, also known as version 2004, will introduce multiple new features and under the hood improvements to the operating system. Windows 10 version 2004 also includes a new Optional features settings page and two important tools—Paint and WordPad are now optional....
  7. Microsoft adds Paint placeholder to Windows 10 Optional Features

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft adds Paint placeholder to Windows 10 Optional Features: Microsoft Paint shows up as an optional feature in Windows Insider builds, suggesting that it will be uninstallable at some point, though we don’t have a confirmation from the Redmond firm yet. Microsoft Paint will continue to remain a part of Windows 10, but it’s possible...
  8. Windows 10 20H1 to improve Optional Features settings page

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 20H1 to improve Optional Features settings page: Microsoft’s next big update Windows 10 20H1 is expected to come with minor improvements for the Optional Features setting page. Windows 10’s Settings app comes with an Optional Features page which allows users to manage, install, and uninstall optional features such as...
  9. Windows 10 20H1 comes with more hidden features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 20H1 comes with more hidden features: Unlike Windows 10 19H2, Microsoft’s Windows 10 Spring 2020 update may introduce several new features, including a new appearance for Cortana. The recently released Windows 10 Build 18922 comes with new language settings page, Feedback Hub and bug fixes, but it also includes...
  10. Microsoft tests new features for Windows 10 20H1 update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft tests new features for Windows 10 20H1 update: The next version of Windows 10 is 19H2 and it is expected to begin rolling out in October 2019. We are months away from the release of next Windows 10 update, but the company isn’t widely testing the bits of 19H2 (version 1909) with Insiders yet. Windows 10 20H1 appears to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. difference between optional features and control panel