Windows 10: Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup won’t remove your important files

Discus and support Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup won’t remove your important files in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Disk Cleanup has been a part of all versions of Windows and it’s a useful tool integrated into the OS. Disk Cleanup allows users to delete temporary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Nov 7, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup won’t remove your important files

Disk Cleanup has been a part of all versions of Windows and it’s a useful tool integrated into the OS. Disk Cleanup allows users to delete temporary files, old and cached data to free up storage space.

Windows 10 also comes with Storage Sense, a modern Disk Cleanup replacement built directly into the Settings app and it frees up space on your computer by deleting temporary files just like the legacy Disk Cleanup.

Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) made a change to Disk Cleanup and Storage Sense app that can potentially clear out files in the Downloads folder.

Users who like to run Disk Cleanup after successful feature update installations could also remove the files in the Downloads folder if they don’t pay enough attention. The Downloads folder entry is unchecked by default, but those who take things for granted might end up erasing the files stored in the folder.

Microsoft understands that users can accidentally clean up the Downloads folder and Windows 10 20H1 update will revert this change. Build 19018 already removes Downloads folder from both tools – Disk Cleanup and Storage Sense.

Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup won’t remove your important files Windows-10-Disk-Cleanup.jpg

As you can see in the above screenshot, Microsoft has removed the entry of Downloads folder from Disk Cleanup in 20H1 preview builds, while PCs running May 2019 Update or older still have the option.

Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup won’t remove your important files Windows-10-storage-settings.jpg

As we mentioned at the outset, this move has also been made with Storage Sense feature.

“Based on feedback, we’ve decided to remove the downloads folder from disk cleanup,” Microsoft noted in updated changelog.

Windows 10’s 20H1 update

The next update codenamed 19H2 will begin shipping to consumers on November 12 and users will get the 20H1 update early next year.

According to a leak, Microsoft is expected to select Windows 10 20H1 RTM candidate by mid-December for public rollout in early 2020.

The post Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup won’t remove your important files appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Nov 7, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Disk cleanup in Windows 10 is not removing selected files

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Are you logged in as an Administrator?
    Disk Cleanup deletes temporary files and system files, empty the recycle bin and remove a variety of other items that you might no longer need. As you have already ran disk cleanup, did you restart the computer after that? I suggest you to restart
    the system and check if the issue still persists.

Kindly share the results and get back to us for further assistance and we’ll be more than happy to help.

Thank you.

SujataMoktan, Nov 7, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Files in disk cleanup

Hi Lynne

Rest assured, it is totally safe to delete everything suggested by the Disk Cleanup Process, please tun the Disk Cleanup twice as explained below, please remember to untick your Downloads folder if you actually store files in that folder . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 20H1’s Disk Cleanup won’t remove your important files - Similar Threads - 20H1’s Disk Cleanup

2. Windows Server 2019 Disk Cleanup does not remove files from Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server 2019 Disk Cleanup does not remove files from Windows Update Cleanup: Hi AllI have a problem where I am unable to delete 16Gb of the really needed space on my VPS from the Windows Update Cleanup. System is running under Windows Server 2019 Standard; Version 1809; OS build 17763.4499.I spent hours trying to fing a solution on the internet but...
  3. Windows Server 2019 Disk Cleanup does not remove files from Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server 2019 Disk Cleanup does not remove files from Windows Update Cleanup: Hi AllI have a problem where I am unable to delete 16Gb of the really needed space on my VPS from the Windows Update Cleanup. System is running under Windows Server 2019 Standard; Version 1809; OS build 17763.4499.I spent hours trying to fing a solution on the internet but...
  4. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup: I recently ran disk cleanup on Windows 11 Pro to clear about 2 gig of Windows Update files. This has always worked in the past, but, now, it acts like it's working except that the process moves much too quickly compared to how it used to work. If I run it again, it says that...
  5. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup: I recently ran disk cleanup on Windows 11 Pro to clear about 2 gig of Windows Update files. This has always worked in the past, but, now, it acts like it's working except that the process moves much too quickly compared to how it used to work. If I run it again, it says that...
  6. Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup: Trying to remove Windows Update Cleanup files either using Settings windows or Disk Cleanup, it displays 4 GB of occupied space by Windows Update Cleanup but I cannot remove it either way. I tried:Running Disk Cleanup as administrator,Running Disk Cleanup in SafeMode,Manual...
  7. Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files

Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files: Usually, whenever I clear system files in the disk cleanup utility, all of the Windows Update Cleanup stuff goes away. However, recently is has been persistently coming back, which is very annoying, The size of the files is consistently around 54 MB. See screenshot below....
  8. Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT: Attempt to launch `cleanmgr` on the C:\ drive. Use the button `Clean up system files` to compute how to remove the `$WINDOWS.~BT` folder. There is no option in the `Files to delete:` section about removing the folder. How do I recover this space? Running the `cleanmgr` as...
  9. Windows 10 Disk Cleanup

Windows 10 Disk Cleanup: When I run the disk cleanup option, it suggests there is 1.421gb of data in downloads, but there is nothing there (including after switching on hidden items) ???? I'm worried about what this means and if I choose delete, what will actually be deleted form where??? Here is...
  10. Windows Defender Files in Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender Files in Disk Cleanup: Hi! I have a weird situation going on with my PC. When I goto Disk Cleanup on my C:Drive,there is one named 'Windows Defender Antivirus Files' that I try to clean.After the cleaning is complete;the next time I go to the Disk cleanup,I am seeing that file grown in size...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cleanup system files won`t remove $windows bt files