Windows 10: Windows 10 20H2 and Server Essentials 2016 1607 GPO no longer applying

Discus and support Windows 10 20H2 and Server Essentials 2016 1607 GPO no longer applying in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So this is my home setup, WIn 10 pro, with Server Essentials 2016 and yes I am using the essentials role, I love the client backup aspect here at home.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CyberJoe, Mar 28, 2021.

1. CyberJoe Win User

Windows 10 20H2 and Server Essentials 2016 1607 GPO no longer applying

So this is my home setup, WIn 10 pro, with Server Essentials 2016 and yes I am using the essentials role, I love the client backup aspect here at home.

I allowed our computers to go from Win10 1909 to 20H2. So after upgrading I noticed my computer desktop was not timing out after 20mins and locking the screen. This was of course after jumping through hoops to get it reconnected to the essentials setup. My wife's computer went fine, don't even recall having to redo the connector aspect that or it did not give me fits like on my computer. Anyways hers seems to be working well and holding the GPOs I have on the Server, mostly Security related stuff, a drive mapping and one a few user related settings. The bulk of it is security related items and mostly only applies to the computer config. The first thing I noticed after running a forced GPO update was that the computer settings were not taking, the results showed only user settings applying. I thought that's odd, went and ran a gpresult on my wife's computer it showed it still had the computer configs in from the domain GPO applied to include the computer config.

Thought ok this is something with just my computer. So after bouncing between different recovery options and a backup restore on my PC I decided today I would do an OS reset on my PC letting it only keep my personal files, and had it download the OS from the cloud during the reset process. Still working on getting it all set back up. Well ignore my PC for the moment.

So I decide to take another look at my wife's computer, ran a gresult /r.

Microsoft R Windows R Operating System Group Policy Result tool v2.0

c 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Created on ?3/?28/?2021 at 6:51:20 PM

RSOP data for <domain-ad>\xxx on XXXX : Logging Mode

---------------------------------------------------

OS Configuration: Member Workstation

OS Version: 10.0.19042

Site Name: N/A

Roaming Profile: N/A

Local Profile: C:\Users\xxx

Connected over a slow link?: No

USER SETTINGS

--------------

CN=xxx,CN=Users,DC=xxx,DC=xxx,DC=org

Last time Group Policy was applied: 3/28/2021 at 6:48:45 PM

Group Policy was applied from: xx.xx.org

Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps

Domain Name: haplo-ad

Domain Type: Windows 2008 or later

Applied Group Policy Objects

-----------------------------

DriveMapping

New Default Domain Policy

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Local Group Policy

Filtering: Not Applied Empty

The user is a part of the following security groups

---------------------------------------------------

Domain Users

Everyone

BUILTIN\Administrators

Remote Desktop Users

BUILTIN\Users

NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE

CONSOLE LOGON

NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

This Organization

LOCAL

Family

Authentication authority asserted identity

High Mandatory Level

This implies all is well but when I run the gpresult /h c:\tech\filen.html the resulting report shows it nothing in the computer config applied even though it says success in the headers. User config looks fine I can show a report for Marc 22 post upgrade where all looks fine. and several from this weekend showing other wise. So no I n the local group policy editor on my wifes computer and start review settings between it and the server. and bingo it is not taking any of the computer config settings. Originally I was running 3 gpos, I added another for allowing RSAT to be installed. Those settings don't appear.

So keeping in mind prior to march I had not made any changes in GPO in awhile so everything appeared to be working fine. All my GPO changes came about after the upgrade to WIn10 20H2 because I noticed things were not being processed correctly on my PC. So I thought I wonder if i need to update the admin templates for this version of Win10. So I downloaded them 20H2 versions and installed in them central store. doubled check my scopes and filters, I don't use wmi filtering. Everything correct. In the end I added domain users and computers to my policies, made no difference.

So now I decided to build a new default domain GPO. So since there was some redundancy in my LDAP binding and defaults I merged them and my rsat ones together into this new policy, and added a couple of tweaks security settings for ctrl-alt-del and signed on user name as I did not see the same setting from my old policy in the templates. So now I only have 2 policies that effect computers they are linked and enforced at the domain level yes there is a separate DC policy-did not touch it, this new default and my drive mapping. All this made no difference on my PC so today I opted for a fresh reset.

I decided not to do anything yet to my wife's PC happy wife happy life. But like I said now hers is not taking the new configs. I have now hit a wall on what could be causing this. All my previous research pointed at UNC Path Hardening. I did try it, and it made no differences so I removed it. Keep in mind the clients are all Win10Pro, and the server is 20161607 a from of Win10 so UNC path hardening should be a mute point.

I have not found any errors in the logs to point to a GPO issue, and forcing a GPO update does not trigger an error. the computer configurations from the GPOs are not being set.

Here is a sanitized GPRESULT output of of my wife's PC:

**Sorry the output is not easy too look at after coping and pasting.

Group Policy Results

domain-ad\userx

Data collected on: 3/28/2021 6:52:15 PM

Summary hide

No data available.

During last user policy refresh on 3/28/2021 6:48:46 PM

A fast link was detected More information...

The following GPOs have special alerts

GPO Name Alert

DriveMapping Enforced

New Default Domain Policy Enforced

Computer Details hide

No data available.

User Details hide

General hide

User name domain-ad\userx

Domain domain-ad.domain.org

Security Group Membership show

Component Status hide

Component Name Status Time Taken Last Process Time Event Log

Group Policy Success 3/28/2021 6:48:46

Infrastructure PM

Group Policy Drive Success 3/28/2021 6:20:15

Maps PM

Registry Success 3/28/2021 6:20:15

PM

Settings hide

Policies hide

Administrative Templates hide

Policy definitions ADMX files retrieved from the central store.

Start Menu and Taskbar hide

Policy Setting Winning GPO

Show "Run as different user" Enabled New Default Domain Policy command on Start

Preferences hide

Windows Settings hide

Drive Maps hide

Drive Map Drive: I hide

The following settings have applied to this object. Within this category, settings nearest the top of the report are the prevailing settings when resolving conflicts.

I: hide

Winning GPO DriveMapping

Result: Success

General hide

Action Update

Properties

Letter I

Location \\DOMAINAD\Shares

Reconnect Enabled

Label as Server Shares

Use first available Disabled

Hide/Show this drive Show

Hide/Show all drives No change

Group Policy Objects hide

Applied GPOs hide

DriveMapping [{07B88E38-97FE-40A2-A406-3FD0576F4A59}] hide

Link Location domain-ad.domain.org

Extensions Configured Group Policy Drive Maps

Group Policy Infrastructure

Enforced Yes

Disabled None

Security Filters NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

domain-ad\Family domain-ad\Domain Users

Revision AD 24, SYSVOL 24

WMI Filter

New Default Domain Policy [{1659BC8C-B054-4E8E-9963-690EA366609C}] hide

Link Location domain-ad.domain.org

Extensions Configured Registry

Enforced Yes

Disabled None

Security Filters

NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users domain-ad\Family domain-ad\Domain Computers domain-ad\Domain Users

Revision AD 1, SYSVOL 1

WMI Filter

Denied GPOs hide

Local Group Policy [LocalGPO] hide

Link Location Local

Extensions Configured

Enforced No

Disabled None

Security Filters

Revision AD 0, SYSVOL 0

WMI Filter

Reason Denied Empty

WMI Filters hide

Name Value Reference GPOs

None

:)

CyberJoe, Mar 28, 2021

2. Bitlocker GPO Server 2016

Windows 10 - 1809

Server 2016

I have installed the latest ADMX from microsoft.com to my server 2016 "policydefinitions" folder.

All settings have been enabled for bitlocker to auto-encrypt by GPO yet it does not work. This was working with previous builds of Windows however it seems with the new build it is not.

I have also enabled for software encryption to be allowed incase of hardware encryption not being possible.

When doing RSOP it displays all settings are being applied on the laptop.

Any pointers?

Leeryan(2), Mar 28, 2021
  3. Windows server 2012R2 GPO failed to apply on windows 10 creators update clients

I have a PDC windows server 2012R2 and BDC 2012R2, GPO is configured in BDC.

I have the below GPO's configured.

->By default, my company intranet page is the default page in internet explorer.

->Lock screen

These are not getting applied on the windows 10 clients where as the remaining clients like windows 7, windows 8.1 are able get these GPO settings.

GPResult command shows that the settings are applied but actually they are not.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Harish Reddy, Mar 28, 2021
  4. Windows 10 20H2 and Server Essentials 2016 1607 GPO no longer applying

AppLocker GPOs marked as applied but Rules are not enforced

Hi Community,

We have been experiencing a problem with AppLocker GPOs in a Windows 10 Environment.

The Domain functionality level is: Server 2012R2

Domain Controllers are running: Windows Server 2016

Workstations are running: Windows 10 Enterprise Build 17134

We have 2 GPOs; one containing DLL AppLocker Rules and one containing EXE, Script, Appx etc.. Rules.

When running a gpupdate /force on an affected workstation and getting the gpresult the GPOs appear to be applied and are marked as winning however the contents of C:\Windows\system32\Applocker files are not being updated and recent rules added to both GPOs
    are not being applied. i.e. a new application which has been whitelisted will not run for the user albeit being specified in the applied GPO.

Can someone please shed some light into this issue?

Help is highly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Jason

Jason Buhagiar, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 20H2 and Server Essentials 2016 1607 GPO no longer applying

1. Windows 10 20H2 and Server Essentials 2016 1607 GPO no longer applying - Similar Threads - 20H2 Server Essentials

2. Windows Server 2016 Essentials fail to start Essentials Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server 2016 Essentials fail to start Essentials Storage: Bonjour, je viens de créer une installation propre de Windows Server 2016 Essentials et je l'ai mis à jour avec la dernière version actuelle Build 14393.5989. Mon serveur héberge une AD-DC, un DNS et un serveur IIS. Peu après que j'aie configuré les partages et rajouté...
  3. Windows Server 2016 Essentials fail to start Essentials Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server 2016 Essentials fail to start Essentials Storage: Bonjour, je viens de créer une installation propre de Windows Server 2016 Essentials et je l'ai mis à jour avec la dernière version actuelle Build 14393.5989. Mon serveur héberge une AD-DC, un DNS et un serveur IIS. Peu après que j'aie configuré les partages et rajouté...
  4. How to apply GPO to specific server in SERVERS OU?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to apply GPO to specific server in SERVERS OU?: Servers OU - contains all servers, including server1. Main OU for applying GPOs on servers. So, shifting server1 to another OU isn't an option for me. Users OU - Contains all users. I want to apply a GPO to server1, that will run a logon script when users log in to it. Others...
  5. How to apply GPO to specific server in SERVERS OU?

How to apply GPO to specific server in SERVERS OU?: Servers OU - contains all servers, including server1. Main OU for applying GPOs on servers. So, shifting server1 to another OU isn't an option for me. Users OU - Contains all users. I want to apply a GPO to server1, that will run a logon script when users log in to it. Others...
  6. Upgrade Windows Server Essentials 2016 to 2022

Upgrade Windows Server Essentials 2016 to 2022: I haven't done this in a while. I have a client who is moving from Windows Server 2016 Essentials to the newest version Windows Server 2022 Essentials. What steps should I follow in performing this migration? Thanks....
  7. Server 2016 Essentials Windows Update Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Server 2016 Essentials Windows Update Problem: Hi.My Server 2016 Essentials computer seems to be stuck with a Windows Update package that is trying to install Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable...
  8. Server 2016 Essentials Windows Update Problem

Server 2016 Essentials Windows Update Problem: Hi.My Server 2016 Essentials computer seems to be stuck with a Windows Update package that is trying to install Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable...
  9. Windows Server Essentials 2016

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Server Essentials 2016: I am unable to login under a different username to some of my Pc's. It looks like there is no domain authentication but only the local Cache. This happened after a power failure during an update....
  10. Bitlocker GPO Server 2016

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker GPO Server 2016: Windows 10 - 1809 Server 2016 I have installed the latest ADMX from microsoft.com to my server 2016 "policydefinitions" folder. All settings have been enabled for bitlocker to auto-encrypt by GPO yet it does not work. This was working with previous builds of Windows...