Windows 10: Windows 10 20H2 cannot remove PIN or convert to local account

Discus and support Windows 10 20H2 cannot remove PIN or convert to local account in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; G'day, I require help adding a mapped drive to a Windows 10 20H2 machine. If I try and access the IP/hostname of a Synology NAS, the Windows Security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/UnguaranteedKing, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Windows 10 20H2 cannot remove PIN or convert to local account

G'day,

I require help adding a mapped drive to a Windows 10 20H2 machine.

If I try and access the IP/hostname of a Synology NAS, the Windows Security dialogue box appears that firstly asks for a PIN. If I click 'more choices', usually I can enter the username/password for NAS. Still, the username field has 'email address' in it and will not accept the username/password for the NAS.

The user setup the Surface with their 365 business AD account and I cannot disable the PIN/Windows Hello, nor can I convert the Microsoft account to a local user account.

In Win10 under 'accounts' > Your info' - there is no option to 'Sign in with a local account instead'. Also, in 'accounts' > 'sign-in options' > 'Windows Hello PIN' - remove PIN' is greyed out Windows 10 20H2 cannot remove PIN or convert to local account :(

Have tried: 1. Adding NAS username/password to Windows credentials manager. 2. Confirmed Function Discovery Provider Host/Resource Pub, SSDP discovery and UPnP host services running (as these have caught me out previously). 3. Read the Synology documentation about SMB shares. They say do not use Windows Hello, but as above, I don't have an option to convert to a local account or turn off the PIN.

I can ping the NAS and have been able to add mapped drives for other devices on the network.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/UnguaranteedKing
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/UnguaranteedKing, Feb 25, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to convert Microsoft account to Local account

Hi Luke,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your efforts on this. I understand that you have converted a Local account to a Microsoft account and want to convert the Microsoft account back to Local account.

Since the Microsoft account is a Child account that is the reason, you are unable to convert the Microsoft account to a Local account. If you delete the Child account from the computer, it will remove the Child account permanently from the computer.
    If you have access to any other account on the computer, you can create a new local account on the computer. Please refer the steps in the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

To remove the Child account from the computer, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, type
      control
      and click on OK.
    2. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      view by.
    3. Click on User Accounts.
    4. Click on Manager User account.
    5. Select the Child account and click on
      Delete account.
    6. If you have important files saved in the account, click on
      Keep files to save the files, else click on Delete files.
    7. Click on Delete account to delete the account.

As you have mentioned, you have removed the Child account from the Family I suggest you to check if the child account still reflects under the Family. If the Child account reflects under the Family, please remove the child account from the Family using
    the Adult account, restart the computer and check if you get the option to convert the Microsoft account as a Local account.

For more information on removing the child account from Family, you can refer the article

Remove members from your family group.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 25, 2021
  3. Local account converted to Microsoft account?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Follow the steps below to convert to local account, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10.
    • Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Settings and select the top most search result.
    • Click Accounts and under Your emails and accounts
      click on sign in with a local account instead option.
    • Enter your Microsoft account's password and click on Next.
    • Type in a Password, and
      Password Hint
      that you want set for your local account and click
      Next
      . Click on Sign out and Finish button.

If you want to switch back to Microsoft account, follow the steps below:

• On the newly converted Local account, press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Settings and select the top most search result.
    • Click Accounts and under Your emails and accounts click on
      sign in with a microsoft account instead option.
    • Enter the Microsoft account ID and Password and click Sign in.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and check if the changes are effective.

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 25, 2021
  4. Louie Del Win User

Windows 10 20H2 cannot remove PIN or convert to local account

Convert local Windows 10 account to a Microsoft Account

Hi,

An option is available for users to use either a Microsoft account or a local account to log onto a Windows computer. A local account can be converted into Microsoft account as long as the Microsoft account that you’ll be using isn’t associated or added
    yet on the same computer.

• If you’ll convert a local account from another Microsoft account:
    • Sign in using the local account.
    • In the search box, type Your account picture and profile settings and click on the result.
    • Under the Your info section, select Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.

Windows 10 20H2 cannot remove PIN or convert to local account c7d76d8d-df20-4f64-9dab-15024df1622f?upload=true.png
    • Enter your password and follow the on-screen prompt.

• If you’ll convert a local account using your existing Microsoft account:

Note: Make sure to remove it first the existing Microsoft account from your computer. Go to
    Settings > Accounts > click the Microsoft account >
    Remove > Yes.

• Once done, sign in the local account.
    • In the search box, type Your account picture and profile settings and click on the result.
    • Under the Your info section, select Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Enter your password and follow the on-screen prompt.

Let us know if you’ll encounter any issues.

Louie Del, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 20H2 cannot remove PIN or convert to local account

1. Windows 10 20H2 cannot remove PIN or convert to local account - Similar Threads - 20H2 cannot remove

2. Window 10, cannot add local account, cannot remove deleted Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 10, cannot add local account, cannot remove deleted Microsoft account: Hi, asking regarding on windows 10. I use my university Microsoft account only no local account on my laptop and now it's already deleted. I was trying to create icon of recycle bin on desktop, trying using wallpaper setting and CMD method. I noticed CMD prompt denial but I...
  3. Window 10, cannot add local account, cannot remove deleted Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 10, cannot add local account, cannot remove deleted Microsoft account: Hi, asking regarding on windows 10. I use my university Microsoft account only no local account on my laptop and now it's already deleted. I was trying to create icon of recycle bin on desktop, trying using wallpaper setting and CMD method. I noticed CMD prompt denial but I...
  4. Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts: Have 2 child accounts on Windows 10 installation as Microsoft accounts.Cannot convert them to Local accounts using standard method Settings -> Accounts -> "sign in with local account Instead".How do I convert these Microsoft accounts to local accounts without losing all their...
  5. Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts: Have 2 child accounts on Windows 10 installation as Microsoft accounts.Cannot convert them to Local accounts using standard method Settings -> Accounts -> "sign in with local account Instead".How do I convert these Microsoft accounts to local accounts without losing all their...
  6. Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Convert local account to microsoft account

Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  8. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  9. Cannot convert from local account to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot convert from local account to Microsoft account: I have multiple computers and on one of them there is no option to convert from local account to Microsoft account.All of the computers are running the latest version of Windows 10:Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Installed on ‎2/‎5/‎2021 OS build 19043.1237 Experience...
  10. Convert Local Windows Account to Microsoft Account

Convert Local Windows Account to Microsoft Account: I recently converted an old Windows account to a local account with the intent to convert it to another account I currently use. The first conversion worked well, but when I tried to switch to the new account I'm hitting a roadblock. I may have inadvertently added the...