Windows 10: Windows 10 20H2 - Disk Management does not work

Discus and support Windows 10 20H2 - Disk Management does not work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just installed from Microsoft site by image, it works fine but going in: Manage > Storage > Disk Management I can't view the local disk The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AndyNe, Nov 2, 2020.

1. AndyNe Win User

Windows 10 20H2 - Disk Management does not work

I just installed from Microsoft site by image, it works fine but going in:

Manage > Storage > Disk Management I can't view the local disk

The first message is:

Connecting to Virtual Disk Service... and after several minutes 10-15, it is

Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service.

In Event viewer > System, I have have in order:

1- Virtual Disk Service Started event id 3

2- Virtual Disk Service Stopped event id 4

3- Virtual Disk Service Started event id 3

4- VDS fails to launch provider {CA7DE14F-5BC8-48FD-93DE-A19527B0459E}. Error code: 80072498@0200000C event id 15 on error

5- Virtual Disk Service Stopped event id 4

Thanks for the help

:)

AndyNe, Nov 2, 2020

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Windows 10 20H2 - Disk Management does not work :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Nov 2, 2020
  3. Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Nov 2, 2020
  4. Windows 10 20H2 - Disk Management does not work

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

or...

This will do it for you

Step 1: Download this zip file (contains dmDskmgr-vd.mmc)

dmDskmgr-vd.zip
    Step 2: Double click dmDskmgr-vd.zip to open the compressed folder
    Double click dmDskmgr-vd.mmc to launch the custom Disk Management console

Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
    Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image
    Attach the image to a new post.

Slartybart, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 20H2 - Disk Management does not work

1. Windows 10 20H2 - Disk Management does not work - Similar Threads - 20H2 Disk Management

2. Disk Management not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Management not Working: Hi, I wanted to open Disk Managment, but suddenly I can't. It still says "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service". I don't know what to do with it. Can anyone advise me? I use windows 11....
  3. Initialization in Disk Management will not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Initialization in Disk Management will not work: I added an SSD to my computer and installed 21H1on it. I attempted to initialize the internal SATA HDD to be able to use it as general storage, but the process is not working as depicted. Right clicking on the vacated disk Online in Disk Management does not bring up...
  4. Disk Management - SSD Does not Exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management - SSD Does not Exist: I recently had to wipe everything off my computer and restart because of an error code. Previously, I had Windows installed on my SSD, but now after having restarted my computer with nothing on it, I cannot find my SSD. The C: drive is for some reason my HDD, I know that...
  5. Windows 10 Disk Managment

Windows 10 Disk Managment: I have a hard drive from a windows 10 laptop plugged into a USB adapter that is plugged into a working windows 10 computer. I want to get files off of the hard drive but after plugging it in, it didn't show up in file explorer. I hear a common problem could be that the drive...
  6. Windows 10 disk management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 disk management: My desktop PC came with 12.67 GB partition on the "C" drive called "Image" Healthy OEM Partition. How do I access this partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-disk-management/2b3396c3-675b-4fc0-a108-21c98e10ccb9
  7. Windows 10 Disk Management

Windows 10 Disk Management: Hi, I have a low space condition on Windows 10 drive C: I migrated drive C: from the original disk to a SSD drive so I am not sure if these were the original partitions, sizes, etc. or not. This drive has 4 partitions which are: 1. 200MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)...
  8. Does MultiPoint Manager works in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Does MultiPoint Manager works in windows 10?: Does MultiPoint Manager works in windows 10? or only work in Windows server. If not work in windows 10 then why you add in features "MultiPoint Connector". It works just fine in Windows Server 2016 but not working in windows 10....
  9. Windows 10 Disk Management not working

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Disk Management not working: [ATTACH] Windows 10 Disk Management tool is an inbuilt feature which offers a user interface to manage disk partitions to administrators of the PC. Many a time you need to change hard disk partition size, merge or reduce the size and so [...] This post Windows 10 Disk...
  10. windows 10 disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 disk management: hello i was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem. i have a msi laptop and since the 1511 update i now have partitions that where not there before hand. i can not delete these partitions and was wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows of a fix. or...