Windows 10: Windows 10 20H2 on HP Laptop keeps freezing/locking up

Discus and support Windows 10 20H2 on HP Laptop keeps freezing/locking up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I believe I posted here sometime in the past with a similar issue. Basically, I have an HP laptop with Windows 10 x64 20H2 (latest updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BookWorm, May 4, 2021.

1. BookWorm Win User

Windows 10 20H2 on HP Laptop keeps freezing/locking up

Hello, I believe I posted here sometime in the past with a similar issue. Basically, I have an HP laptop with Windows 10 x64 20H2 (latest updates installed) on it. Ever since I got it (2ish years) I've been having issues with the system locking up - it just freezes on whatever page I'm on and stops responding. I can't move my mouse, I can't turn on Caps Lock (it has a light indicator), keyboard, in general, doesn't respond but the screen is on. Just frozen. Now, last time I posted this I ran sfc /scannow, it found issues, fixed them and it was fine for a while. It kept happening here and there, nothing too bad - once in a while, every few months or so. Last week it started up again - at least once every other day, today it happened twice in the span of 15 minutes. I ran sfc - it found issues, repaired them. Ran DISM online tool too, but it found nothing. It just keeps happening. Sfc no longer finds any issues, I'm starting to think it's hardware related because I've reinstalled my entire OS since - changed SSDs too and it's still occurring. Earlier I left the laptop for a bit while doing something else and came to it making really loud buzzing sounds while frozen o.o Event Viewer doesn't give me a lot of info - just a typical Unexpected shutdown occurred. I can't figure out what happens to cause it from there. Can attach logs if needed Here's a video of how it looks when it locks up: cropped.mp4 - Google Drive Laptop in question: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...77?sku=4RP51EA Please help if you have any ideas as to what could be causing this, I would greatly appreciate it Edit: to add, this usually happens when I'm doing stuff in Chrome/Discord/doing nothing, it doesn't happen while I game, while I have Photoshop open - basically demanding apps do not cause it

:)

BookWorm, May 4, 2021
  2. BookWorm Win User

Hello, I believe I posted here sometime in the past with a similar issue.
    Basically, I have an HP laptop with Windows 10 x64 20H2 (latest updates installed) on it. Ever since I got it (2ish years) I've been having issues with the system locking up - it just freezes on whatever page I'm on and stops responding. I can't move my mouse, I can't turn on Caps Lock (it has a light indicator), keyboard, in general, doesn't respond but the screen is on. Just frozen.

Now, last time I posted this I ran sfc /scannow, it found issues, fixed them and it was fine for a while. It kept happening here and there, nothing too bad - once in a while, every few months or so.
    Last week it started up again - at least once every other day, today it happened twice in the span of 15 minutes. I ran sfc - it found issues, repaired them. Ran DISM online tool too, but it found nothing.
    It just keeps happening. Sfc no longer finds any issues, I'm starting to think it's hardware related because I've reinstalled my entire OS since - changed SSDs too and it's still occurring. Earlier I left the laptop for a bit while doing something else and came to it making really loud buzzing sounds while frozen o.o

Event Viewer doesn't give me a lot of info - just a typical Unexpected shutdown occurred. I can't figure out what happens to cause it from there. Can attach logs if needed

Here's a video of how it looks when it locks up: cropped.mp4 - Google Drive

Laptop in question: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...77?sku=4RP51EA

Please help if you have any ideas as to what could be causing this, I would greatly appreciate it

Edit: to add, this usually happens when I'm doing stuff in Chrome/Discord/doing nothing, it doesn't happen while I game, while I have Photoshop open - basically demanding apps do not cause it

BookWorm, May 4, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 4, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

- this suggests BIOS corruption or a hardware problem...
    Whilst you might try flashing the BIOS (updating it may be necessary to run Win 10- witness your problem above), you also say you have access to it.
    Do you hear any beeps or sounds?

Try steps 1,2 here:
    Laptop freezes at HP logo without loading circle - HP Support Forum - 5997641

Check the version of your BIOS vs that listed on HP's site for your laptop.

I'm also wondering if this might be related to your CMOS battery inside your laptop. (This should be a normal circular battery).
    How to replace the CMOS battery
    - but that's just a thought.

Worth asking on the HP forum.

================================
    Sorry that's not how to create a bootable disk. All that disk is is data storage- as you just copied the files to it.

Please see:
    How to Create a Bootable DOS USB Drive
    for one way to do it using a free program.

However, given the above, doing that isn't likely to help you I'm afraid.

dalchina, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 20H2 on HP Laptop keeps freezing/locking up - Similar Threads - 20H2 Laptop keeps

2. Windows Keeps Locking Up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Keeps Locking Up: I'll be browsing the internet or whatever and suddenly the mouse cursor locks up and then a moment later the whole PC does and I have to manually restart it. It happens at least once a day. I don't know what's causing this but it's a problem because sometimes it happens...
  3. Windows Keeps Locking Up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Keeps Locking Up: I'll be browsing the internet or whatever and suddenly the mouse cursor locks up and then a moment later the whole PC does and I have to manually restart it. It happens at least once a day. I don't know what's causing this but it's a problem because sometimes it happens...
  4. Windows 11 - HP Pavillion Laptop 15 - keeps locking up with disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - HP Pavillion Laptop 15 - keeps locking up with disk usage at 100%: I've been working on my laptop and since the Windows 11 update, it consistently will lock up for several seconds. Using Task Manager, I can see that the hard drive is at 100% Once that clears, it will go back to working properly. Knowing the hdd could be an issue and it was...
  5. Windows 11 - HP Pavillion Laptop 15 - keeps locking up with disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - HP Pavillion Laptop 15 - keeps locking up with disk usage at 100%: I've been working on my laptop and since the Windows 11 update, it consistently will lock up for several seconds. Using Task Manager, I can see that the hard drive is at 100% Once that clears, it will go back to working properly. Knowing the hdd could be an issue and it was...
  6. Freezing on Windows 10 monitor locks up

Freezing on Windows 10 monitor locks up: Hi, I am having an issue with my Windows 10 install, which has just started to happen about 5 months ago. The screen locks up and goes through a weird bar code looking phase, and then it will restart the machine. Please see https://photos.app.goo.gl/MpX172fe7bkaA1Xm8...
  7. Laptop keeps locking up on Windows 10

Laptop keeps locking up on Windows 10: I have a Lenovo T530 running windows 10 and it's locking up and the only thing that works is the mouse,i have to do a hard reset to get it to work.But i only works for a couple of minutes then locks up again.Please any help....
  8. Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Keeps Freezing/Locking up

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Keeps Freezing/Locking up: I've been getting this issue as of late and I don't know why. Contrary to what seems to be the popular case, I did not suffer through this when I installed the first creators update. I've run through certain tests involving file system checks, memory checks, and other...
  9. Windows 10 Freezing/Locking up Laptop when idle.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Freezing/Locking up Laptop when idle.: When I have my webcam security software running all day (12-hours), the laptop runs fine. But when I shut the software down and then leave the laptop idle, it locks up. It also happens when I start the laptop up and just leave it sit idle. So far, there's no specific...
  10. hp laptop booting up and freezing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    hp laptop booting up and freezing: my WIN 10 HP laptop boots.up slowly, then will take me to my desktop. desktop icons load but Simple Sticky Notes which I have on my desktop do not load. Then.everything freezes. I do have a mouse cursor which moves freely but I can not click on anything. Keyboard is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp Windows 10 freezing with buzzing sound