Windows 10: Windows 10 20H2 sysprep image deployment issue

Discus and support Windows 10 20H2 sysprep image deployment issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Last year I upgraded windows 10 1809 to 2004 on a Dell Latitude 5510. I sysprepped the image and I have been deploying it to different model Dells... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SliderQi, Jan 8, 2021.

1. SliderQi Win User

Windows 10 20H2 sysprep image deployment issue

Last year I upgraded windows 10 1809 to 2004 on a Dell Latitude 5510. I sysprepped the image and I have been deploying it to different model Dells without any problem.

Now I upgraded that 2004 image to 20H2. Update was successful, sysprep runs successfully and laptop shuts down. When I reboot the same laptop or deploy the sysprepped image to other computers, they start to boot and then I get a message "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." I hit enter and the laptop reboots, this loop continues.

I had problems with sysprep in the past, usually it ended with a blue screen, I have never seen this error.

Latest updates are applied after the upgrade to 20H2. Any helps would be appreciated.

:)

SliderQi, Jan 8, 2021
  2. Katrin Win User

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

Hi,

I have the same Problem like CanadianGooses with the Search-Bar using the LTSB-Release and the audit-mode.

(Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Page 32 - Windows 10 Forums)

But only, if the image is deployed as a part of a iso-file. How do you deploy your wim-file? Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks und greetings from Germany - .

Katrin, Jan 8, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

Step 1: Add Shell-Setup\UserAccounts\LocalAccounts to Pass 5:
    Windows 10 20H2 sysprep image deployment issue [​IMG]

Step 2: Add (insert) a new local account:

Step 3: Enter Description, Display name, Group and Username (notice that display name and username don't have to be the same. Username will be the name of the profile and profile folder in Users folder, display name will be shown in Welcome and Start):

Step 4: Expand the user in Answer File pane, add password:

Kari, Jan 8, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

Customised Windows 10 deployment on multiple desktops and laptops.

OK, after giving this a thought and thinking how I would do it, here's my suggestion. Please notice that, as I said, this is how I would do it. Other geeks might disagree with parts or all of it.

I tested this scenario using one Hyper-V VM as technician machine (the one to build image) and three virtual machines to test simultaneous deployment in two scenarios:
    • Capturing install.wim from technician machine and using DISM to apply / deploy image from a network share
    • Capturing install.wim from technician machine, making ISO from it, deploying by clean installing from ISO burned to Flash drive
    Based on the fact that ISO method is clearly faster and simpler, it is what I suggest to you. I estimate you would need an hour and half to two hours to customize install image, capture it and make an ISO, then assuming you would make 5 Flash drives for install / deployment you would need about half an hour per five machines, in other words you would deploy to those 25 new machines in less than three hours, almost a full working day to deploy those 50 existing ones.

Two working days, day 1 to make the image and deploy to new machines, day 2 to deploy to old ones.

Chronological workflow based on my suggestion:

Phase 1, Image customization tutorial, parts One through Six:
    • Install Windows 10 on a technician machine (I recommend Hyper-V VM but any capable PC is OK)
    • Boot to Audit Mode
    • Update Windows, install software, customize & personalize Windows
    • Sysprep
    Phase 2:
    • Capture the install.wim from technician machine as told in this tutorial, Part Four steps 4.1 through 4.5 (physical PC as technician machine) or Part Four steps 4.6 through 4.13 (Hyper-V VM as technician machine)
    • Create ISO as told in same tutorial, Part Five
    • Burn / write ISO to as many Flash drives as you want to / need to for simultaneous installs
    • Boot production machines from Flash drive, install Windows 10
    The above is how I would do this. If you choose the DISM method instead, applying install.wim from a network share, see this Microsoft support article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../hh824910.aspx

For more advanced deployment using MDT see this article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn475741.aspx

Kari, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 20H2 sysprep image deployment issue - Similar Threads - 20H2 sysprep image

2. Windows 10 20H2 sysprep problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 20H2 sysprep problem: I upgraded my windows 10 enterprise image from 1803 to 2004 on a Dell Latitude 5510 laptop, sysprepped it and deploy it successfully. Now, I upgraded the 2004 image to 20H2 using ISO image downloaded from MS volume licensing site. It's done on the same model Dell 5510...
  3. Windows 10 20H2 sysprep image deployment issue

Windows 10 20H2 sysprep image deployment issue: Last year I upgraded windows 10 1809 to 2004 on a Dell Latitude 5510. I sysprepped the image and I have been deploying it to different model Dells without any problem. Now I upgraded that 2004 image to 20H2. Update was successful, sysprep runs successfully and laptop shuts...
  4. Windows 10 Sysprep causing issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Sysprep causing issues: I accidentally ran Sysprep (Out of box experience / Generalize) and now my computer is behaving erratically. Running Windows 10 Pro. I don't have a restore point. Is there anything I can do? submitted by /u/QREL_ [link] [comments]...
  5. sysprep issue

in Windows 10 Support
    sysprep issue: Hello, collegues. I have virtual machine with Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSC Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.1039). There has some configuration and installed some apps for workstations deployment. To reach my goal I need to perform `sysprep /generalize /oobe /quit`, but I got...
  6. Creating a deployment windows 10 image

Creating a deployment windows 10 image: Looking to create a deployment method for windows 10 pro image https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-a-deployment-windows-10-image/0e17cc7e-fc76-461e-a0b7-a6ca36ef2da4
  7. Creating/Deploying Windows 10 Image

Creating/Deploying Windows 10 Image: Hi all, I'm only a part time computer geek (OK, so more than part time), but I haven't dived into Windows ICD or image deployment. I know you use ICD to customize a provisioning package or image, but are there official tools or ways of converting a working live Windows 10...
  8. Windows 10 deployment issues

Windows 10 deployment issues: Sorry couldn't post in any other forum. I am in the middle of preparing for a windows 10 deployment and it's failing miserably. I've tried everything from capture images through WDS, IDC, and MDT. I'd ideally like to use WDS. Right now on my Server 2012, I have the...
  9. Windows 10 1511 sysprepping and imaging (LOG)

Windows 10 1511 sysprepping and imaging (LOG): Hello, my native language is spanish but I will try to "make to undestand" all thigns that I will write here. May be there is not the place to log, but is my first time testing the installation to sysprep and image Windows 10 1511 (10586.0), and perhaps help to others....
  10. SYSPREP issues

SYSPREP issues: Hi, I am wondering if anyone is experiencing the same issues i am, after (apparently successfully) SYSPREPping a Windows 10 (clean) installation, and restarting it? BTW: i have used a very simple autoanswer file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <unattend...