Windows 10: Windows 10 20H2 update causing serious hanging issues - unusable

Discus and support Windows 10 20H2 update causing serious hanging issues - unusable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a machine which has just been updated to 20H2 build 19042.630 and it has rendered my machine unusable. Almost any operation which interreacts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Connect 2 Ltd, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 20H2 update causing serious hanging issues - unusable

I have a machine which has just been updated to 20H2 build 19042.630 and it has rendered my machine unusable.

Almost any operation which interreacts with the "file open/save" dialog box causes the application using that to "hang". Task Manager says the process is "Not responding". If I "Analyze waitchain", often there are PIDs which are non-existent.

Once the machine is in this state, even something as simple as opening a command-prompt is "broken" i.e. it waits until the above "hang" resolves then the command prompt opens.

Anyone else having the problem?

What else should I post?

:)

Connect 2 Ltd, Nov 17, 2020
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Desboro Win User

Windows 10 20H2 update causing serious hanging issues - unusable

Windows 10 update: start up and sleep issues caused

Dear Vijay,

Thank you for your response: apologies for slow feedback.

Regarding step 1 - doing a restore point : I tried this twice and twice it failed. Now, the date of the update that caused the issue (13/14 September 2019) has disappeared from the history list. Is there a way of finding it, still?

Regarding Step 2- the list of updates installed: the two suggestions above do not seem to appear in the list in the window "Installed Updates".

There are two updates listed for 13 September - Security Update for Adobe Flash Player and Security Update for Microsoft Windows.

Could you advise what I might try next?

Thank you so much.

Desboro, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 20H2 update causing serious hanging issues - unusable

1. Windows 10 20H2 update causing serious hanging issues - unusable - Similar Threads - 20H2 update causing

2. 20H2 Update Causing Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    20H2 Update Causing Issues: Hi all, I clean installed 20H2 and ever since then I have been facing the below issues constantly: 1. Intermittent BSOD 2. Browser tab crashing intermittently Firefox, and Chrome 3. Error when trying to download games using EA Origin I am unable to revert to the previous...
  3. windows update 20H2 hangs at 88%

windows update 20H2 hangs at 88%: i tried updating my laptopwindows 10 yesterday around 8pm . By 12 am it was around 50% updatedso i could not turn of my computer i was up whole night to keep a check on my computerin the morning it showed 88% percent and my pc got disconnected from wifi afterwards i tried...
  4. update causes serious problems

update causes serious problems: After an update yesterday nothing works normal -i can not open onedrive files - the EDGE browser crashes all the time -In the settings menu i can not choose anything, so i can not choose "recovery" - i can not send mails - some icons in the taskbar are disappeared,...
  5. Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD: Hi there, I have an odd issue with the 20H2 update for Windows 10. I installed yesterday and almost immediately started having issues as described below. Intermittently the system seems to hang. I can still move the cursor and I can still interact with apps and open the...
  6. Windows 10 almost unusable after update 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 almost unusable after update 20H2: Windows 10 with paid license. I thought updating would be useful, it's worked well until now. Can't open the Start menu, sound doesn't work, can't connect to wi-fi without troubleshooter. Windows says it will fix Start after logoff, but nothing happens after Restart. I...
  7. Latest 20H2 update causing Windows stability issues

Latest 20H2 update causing Windows stability issues: Hi, I am looking to get some support over an issue I've recently got with the new 20H2 update. I've recently changed my boot drive with an NVMe SSD and installed the newest Windows update20H2 from Microsoft iso file/entitlement package. My issues started at the very first...
  8. Windows 20H2 update causing boot issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 20H2 update causing boot issues: I installed the 20H2 update last week but since then every time I boot my computer it doesn't boot to Windows, instead I get a message saying "Please enter setup to recover BIOS settings". I then go to BIOS and exit without changing anything and it boots. It also makes me...
  9. Windows 10 serious issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 serious issues: Hey guys, bit of a lengthy one here but we'd appreciate your help So, the past couple of days we've been having real issues with our Compaq CQ2000 PC with Windows 10 installed on it (upgraded from windows 8 about 2 years ago). First issue I noticed was a massive graphical...
  10. Hostname change causing serious issues

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hostname change causing serious issues: I just performed an elevated hostname change in Power Shell... After restarting the computer I noticed that my wireless network was down/not showing. Upon further investigation my issues are: -> 80% of all my services were disabled -> "The computer can't connect to a...