Windows 10: Windows 10 20H2 wakes from sleep with 30 - 80% CPU Usage

Discus and support Windows 10 20H2 wakes from sleep with 30 - 80% CPU Usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I wanted to make you aware of an issue that I have seen replicated on other forums, most notably the Levano forum.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Scott Frank Frame, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Windows 10 20H2 wakes from sleep with 30 - 80% CPU Usage

Hello,

I wanted to make you aware of an issue that I have seen replicated on other forums, most notably the Levano forum.

https://forums.lenovo.com/topic/view/1301/5050451?page=1

I have a Dell Precision 7750, 8-core Xeon 10885M with 128GB Ram and 9TB storage 4TB Sabrent, 2TB Evo 970 Plus x 2, 1TB Dell Class 50, and Nvidia RTX 4000 running Windows for Workstations Pro.

So, basically, myself and other users have noticed a bug in Windows that is caused by placing the system into sleep mode. Upon waking, the CPU usage under System runs anywhere from 30 - 80% of the CPU. When tracing using Windows Performance Tool, it appears the culprit is usbvideo.sys for all of us. We also noticed that this was a issue with previous Windows versions, however those caused BSOD's.

Before you ask, all my drivers are 100% up to date and my BIOS is 100% up to date. Several people have reformatted and the issue did not go away, I personally did not but I am not able to reformat and have to download every work-related application on my system for something I know will not fix it. i have conducted checks on all my exernal devices, did a memtest for the memory, tested each HD, tested the CPU, tested my m2 drives, and tested my GPU. None of the hardware reports any issue and my system runs blazing fast outside of this issue.

The current workaround is to either a disable Sleep mode altogether or just not use it and change it from being automatic in the power settings. There must not be a "fix" for this at this point because all of the above suggestions have been unfruitful, but I would like to make it known this is an issue and hopefully something you can work on fixing for the next update. It does seem a little ridiculous that years are going to fall off my laptop because I can't use as simple a function as sleep, and yes i know I can just power it down but I keep my laptop running in clamshell mode, and as easy as it is to just take it off the rack and turn if off and on, that's something that shouldn't be told to the consumer when you have an expensive workstation.

Anyway, if you need anything from me to help you test the issue, please let me know.

:)

Scott Frank Frame, Feb 13, 2021
  2. BruceW268 Win User

High CPU usage - system interrupts - when waking from sleep

After reverting to an earlier Windows version and then updating the drivers again...

This did not resolve the high CPU usage after waking from sleep, and I notice that it is both System Interrupts (ACPI.sys) and System (ntoskrnl.eve) adding up to about 30% added CPU usage... and constant cooling fan running at moderate to high speed.

BruceW268, Feb 13, 2021
  3. CPU Usage Stuck at 30%

I'm sorry but there are no background process using 30% of cpu. The highest one is Microsoft Software Protection Platform, using 7% of cpu. The other one is Explorer, using 3% of cpu.

Should i disable it?

That is 10%. So there is another 20% being used somewhere and it must show in details tab using more details on bottom to show all processes. It has been this way from day one of Windows OS's. Or maybe there is malware or a virus. But it still should show
    CPU usage and items combined will equal the total CPU usage.

seahawks65, Feb 13, 2021
  4. NoNameRO Win User

Windows 10 20H2 wakes from sleep with 30 - 80% CPU Usage

ACPI.sys using 30% CPU

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes the issue persists after a clean boot and also after a computer reset.

The CPU usage of ACPI also drops after a sleep/wake up of the computer.

The temperatures are all between 30°C and 40°C for the CPU, GPU and HDD.

NoNameRO, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 20H2 wakes from sleep with 30 - 80% CPU Usage

1. Windows 10 20H2 wakes from sleep with 30 - 80% CPU Usage - Similar Threads - 20H2 wakes sleep

2. Last Windows Update Killing my CPU 80% usage !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Last Windows Update Killing my CPU 80% usage !: HelloSince the Last Windows Update my CPU is escalating totally constant 20-30% with a short Jump Randomly to 80% for few second!Before my CPU was basicly not getting over 10% from that what i doing! But now comes the Funny part the CPU is only doing this if i having a...
  3. Explorer.exe 80% cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe 80% cpu usage: This problem now spans across 2 different computers one brand new. My last computer running windows 10 started getting 80 percent cpu usage spike when I did anything involving saving, moving or deleting files. It occurs worse the more file explorer windows are open. That has...
  4. Explorer.exe 80% cpu usage

Explorer.exe 80% cpu usage: This problem now spans across 2 different computers one brand new. My last computer running windows 10 started getting 80 percent cpu usage spike when I did anything involving saving, moving or deleting files. It occurs worse the more file explorer windows are open. That has...
  5. windows 10 will not wake from sleep

windows 10 will not wake from sleep: I have executed all tricks that were found on the web but my laptop still goes to sleep and does not wake up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-will-not-wake-from-sleep/b32611ba-84fb-49c5-a4f9-b589b557446e
  6. windows 10 will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10 will not wake from sleep: I have executed all tricks that were found on the web but my laptop still goes to sleep and does not wake up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-will-not-wake-from-sleep/b32611ba-84fb-49c5-a4f9-b589b557446e
  7. windows 10 will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. 80% cpu usage idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    80% cpu usage idle: Title... over an hour of wmi provided host taking 30% anti malware taking 30% and other windows processes taking 20. Causing pc to thermal throttle to 83 celicus this is after the windows 10 June 9th update. submitted by /u/SmallPeensUNITE [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows 10 pro x64 1909 - idle cpu 30%-80%

Windows 10 pro x64 1909 - idle cpu 30%-80%: Hi guys, upgraded from W7 and ever since I've installed a fresh copy of W10 I get my CPU running on 30%-80% for no reason. Is there anything I can do? It's a laptop with dedicated you, drivers seem to be up to date, set cooling on passive mode but also tested active. I can...
  10. CDPUserSvc high CPU usage (30%)

CDPUserSvc high CPU usage (30%): Hello everyone, I have a problem where a "service host" CdpUserSvc is utilizing about 30% of my cpu (it shows up in device manager). It causes my laptop's fan to constantly be on and waste the battery. I can stop/disable the process but it will no longer allow me to use the...