Windows 10: Windows 10 32-bit Help File Compatibility

Discus and support Windows 10 32-bit Help File Compatibility in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is Microsoft going to issue a fix for viewing Windows 32-bit Help File in Windows 10? 24286 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mikebrown8183, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Windows 10 32-bit Help File Compatibility

Is Microsoft going to issue a fix for viewing Windows 32-bit Help File in Windows 10?

:)

mikebrown8183, Sep 26, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

x86 and x64 programs and installations

Some extra details ...

Windows 10 (Home or Pro) is available in 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions. If you have 32-bit hardware you must install the 32-bit version. If you have 64-bit hardware you can install the 32-bit
    or the 64-bit version of Windows, but it makes sense to install the 64-bit version.

The 64-bit version of Windows 10 is backwards compatible with 32-bit software, however 64-bit hardware is not backwards compatible with all 32-bit software.

Program Files (x86) is where Windows installs your 32-bit software. Program Files is where Windows installs your 64-bit software. You should not change this.

The essential difference between 32-bit and 64-bit software is the amount of memory (RAM) it can use. 32-bit software can use up to 4 GB of RAM, which is 2 raised to the 32nd power. 64-bit software can use a ridiculous amount of RAM (2 raised to the 64th
    power.)

To maintain backwards compatibility there are few other differences between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, although what differences there are can be significant.

BulldogXX, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10

My PC dual boots Windows 7 32 bit ultimate and windows 7 64 bit professional. The 64 bit version has a Windows 10 update icon that says that the pc is compatible, the 32 version's says it isn't. Coreinfo says it should be, and I have been able to install
    Windows 8.1. Any idea why the 32 bit version is saying the pc isn't compatible? The issue appears to be the 32 bit version finding that the cpu doesn't have DX - but it does!

Any help appreciated

camelion_terry, Sep 26, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

Windows 10 32-bit Help File Compatibility

You might want to ask on Microsoft Support.Support - Windows Help

You might find an answer and could report back.

JohnC, Sep 27, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Well, I cheated and done it! I renamed the file C:\Windows\winhlp32.exe as a backup and then replaced it with winhlp32.exe from Windows 8.1 (after having installed the fix of course). I then renamed file C:\Windows\en-us\winhlp32.exe.mui and replaced it with winhlp32.exe.mui from Windows 8.1. I opened winhlp32.exe once to associate it with HLP files and that's it! To be able to rename these files you must first take ownership and then add the modify permissions. To do that you right-click on the file and go to Properties, security, advanced. Change the owner from TrustedInstaller to Administrators and press OK. Then go to advanced again and change permissions so that you have full access to the file. Repeat that for the other file. After you rename them (for backup purposes) you can copy-paste the respective files from Windows 8.1 into the same folders. If you have upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 you can find these files in C:\Windows.old\Windows and C:\Windows.old\Windows\en-us respectively.

If you have a system running Windows 8.1 (not sure but I think it should also be 32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Windows 10 system you want to patch), you can download the fix and install it to restore the old Windows Helper application. Then you can copy these two files to your Windows 10 system. It's no use to do it if you haven't install the fix, because it won't work. Remember to take ownership of the files and add modify permission as explained above or you can't replace them.
    It's a step forward to make Windows 10 more like the familiar Windows 7 *Wink

Microsoft might eventually release an official Windows 10 version, but since this cheat works why wait for it?

spapakons, Oct 10, 2015
  6. aegiswiz Win User
    Here is a reference, take at your own risk. There is a link to a water "doing something" software company who fixed this problem for their ancient help program. The advice here suggests downloading their zip program then unzip and run the install.cmd program. I'm as nervous as the next guy when I hear of things like this but I was ready to strangle someone. I downloaded the zip referenced, unzipped it, ran the install.cmd as administrator and now my help files work. http://news.alaska-software.com/rea...ka-software.com>&group=public.xbase++.generic

aegiswiz, Mar 29, 2016
  7. spapakons Win User
    Well I have done it successfully many times, here is how, do that on your own risk.

You copy the file winhlp32.exe from C:\Windows and the file winhlp32.exe.mui from C:\windows\en-us of a working Windows 8.1 installation (with the relevant hotfix installed to enable classic help support) or from Windows.old folder if your previous OS was Windows 8.1 It has to be the same versions, 32-bit or 64-bit with the version of your Windows 10.

Browse the Windows folder, locate the winhlp32.exe file, right-click and select Properties. Go to Security tab. Click Advanced and change the owner from TrustedInstaller to Administrators (the group, not the build-in Administrator account). Click OK for the change to take effect and return to the previous window. Now click Edit, highlight the Administrators group and click on the Full control box. This should also check the other boxes. Click OK and then OK. Now you can delete the file winhlp32.exe, do it. Copy-paste the winhlp32.exe file from Windows 8.1.

Browse to the C:\Windows\en-us folder locate the file winhlp32.exe.mui, change the owner to Administrators and give full access to that group. Delete it and copy-paste the file winhlp32.exe.mui from Windows 8.1

Return to the C:\Windows folder and double-click the file winhlp32.exe to run it. It should load and associate itself with all *.HLP files. Double-click a *.HLP file to confirm that it opens OK. That's it! Of course Windows Update could replace the files again, but you can repeat that procedure and restore functionality.

winhlp32.zip

For your convenience I attach the files for both 32-bit and 64-bit version.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 32-bit Help File Compatibility

1. Windows 10 32-bit Help File Compatibility - Similar Threads - bit Help File

2. 32 bit Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    32 bit Windows 10?: Greetings. As a hobby I help a few of the older members of the community with their computers. I recently took in a computer to look at with the usual complaint that "its slow". What I did find upon investigation was that the system MAY have been upgrade to W10 from maybe W7...
  3. Need help changing windows 10 64 bit to a 32 bit

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help changing windows 10 64 bit to a 32 bit: Im helping someone with fixing their storage issue on a laptop when i found out theyre running windows 64 bit on a laptop with 32gb ssd and 4gb of ram. Im stumped, i tried installing 32 bit on a usb but it wont let me change the laptop, i tried to reset the pc but it tells me...
  4. Windows 10 is 64 bit and Quick Books 17 is 32 bit compatibility issues.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is 64 bit and Quick Books 17 is 32 bit compatibility issues.: New computer is 64 bit Windows 10. Quick Books 17 Desktop is 32 bit. I am getting Crashes, freeze of screens, failure to print from Quick Books to outlook. Outlook crashes and then Quick books unfreezes but i cant print. Must restart several times a day to continue...
  5. Windows 10 download of 32-bit files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 download of 32-bit files: I have downloaded a Sony zipped file of 32-bit drivers for a video camera. While this has installed on the Win10 PC, trying to install it on an off-line XP system gives an error message "not a 32-bit file". Is there any way I can work round this as I would like to use the...
  6. 32-bit OS compatible desktops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    32-bit OS compatible desktops: Looking for any suggestions on a machine that is compatible with 32-bit Windows 10 Pro. Only requirements are 32-bit compatible, at least 500 GB hard drive and at least 6 USB slots. I was sold an HP EliteDesk 705 when I stated I needed a system that either came with or...
  7. Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit

Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit: Hello, I've just bought windows 10 32 bit and released I need the 64 bit version instead will I be able to upgrade this or will I need to buy the 64 bit version instead...
  8. Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?

Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?: Yesterday I installed windows 10 with 32-bit operating system, but now I want to change the operating system to 64-bit. I want to know if I can reinstalled windows 10 with 64-bit operating system? 11557
  9. The latest ISO files for Windows 10 64 bit and 32 bit.

The latest ISO files for Windows 10 64 bit and 32 bit.: I wanted to make a new set of Windows 10 installation DVDs since I figured that the ones I created months ago would be an older build, but the ISOs I downloaded today from here: Tech Bench appear to be the same; for instance the 64 bit ISO file name is...
  10. Windows 10 (32 bit)?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 (32 bit)?: I heard a rumour that there won't be a 32 bit version of Windows 10. How likely is this to be true if not decided on as yet? Because I have a 32 bit desktop PC and I want Windows 10 on it. 2845