Windows 10: Windows 10 64 bit isn't properly compressing RAM like Windows10 32 bit

Discus and support Windows 10 64 bit isn't properly compressing RAM like Windows10 32 bit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello dear community *Smile I'm using Windows 10 and testing a lot in virtual machines to explore the system, and to replace some of my Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cloudtime, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Cloudtime Win User

Windows 10 64 bit isn't properly compressing RAM like Windows10 32 bit

Hello dear community *Smile

I'm using Windows 10 and testing a lot in virtual machines to explore the system, and to replace some of my Windows 7 virtual machines, as some new features like the RAM compression and system file compression are really awesome. During testing, I have noticed that the Windows 10 32 bit and 64 bit version are both handling memory compression differently. Here is an example:

The 32 bit virtual machine has only 512 MB of RAM. That's below the recommend RAM value, but still working great. When the system is starting up, it is using 90% of the memory, but after a small while the memory compression kicks in and reduces everything to around 200 MB. The memory of many processes is reduced to around 4 - 400 KB, depending on the uptime.
    But the 64 bit version is somehow very different. While it's also compressing memory, it doesn't really do it as good as the 32 bit version. All processes are using a lot more memory, and it seems Windows doesn't care a lot that the system hasn't much RAM available. It doesn't really compress the RAM of the processes very much, and it seems to prefer to page out everything instead. I have noticed it when Windows was complaining about low memory, as a result of my reduced page file size. This wasn't a problem on the 32 bit version due to it's great compression work.

My question: Do you have any idea why it isn't working as good as in the 32 bit version? Are there any ways, like registry values, to adjust the memory compression?

Screenshot of 32 bit Windows:

Windows 10 64 bit isn't properly compressing RAM like Windows10 32 bit [​IMG]

Screenshot of 64 bit Windows:

Windows 10 64 bit isn't properly compressing RAM like Windows10 32 bit [​IMG]

The 32 bit machine had 512 MB RAM, the 64 bit machine 650 MB. With 512 MB it looked the same. Sorry about the non-english text in the task manager.

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance! *Smile

:)

Cloudtime, Apr 29, 2016

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit

I am using 32-bit Windows 8.1 Pro.This I got when upgrading from 32-bit Windows Vista. However my processor is 64-bit capable and I will like to upgrade to 64-bit Windows 10 for the inherent advantages of 64-bit system like ability to use RAM beyond 4
    GB.I reserved my Windows 10 Upgrade.Will there be an option to choose between 32-bit and 64-bit version of the OS (when available) to download? Or the Windows update will download the 32-bit by default as it did during upgrade from 32-bit Windows Vista ?

SUMITRO SAHA, Apr 29, 2016
  3. I updated windows 10 today and now I am having problems. for instance, when I press the start button nothing happens. what can I do?

32-bit and 64-bit Windows FAQ:

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a
    CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system.

To install a 64-bit version of Windows, you need a CPU that's capable of running a 64-bit version of Windows. The benefits of using a 64-bit operating system are most apparent when you have a large amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on
    your computer, typically 4 GB of RAM or more. In such cases, because a 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system, a 64-bit system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same
    time and switching between them frequently.

To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor. To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable, do the following:

Control Panel\System and Security\System

If your system was originally a 32-bit system, the update should also be 32-bit. You can go to Recovery > Go back to the previous version of Windows 10. I'd advise doing so and verify if it is a 32-bit version or 64-bit version. Once verified, try reinstalling
    the current version of Windows 10. Use this
    link
    to create installation media.

How to Switch From 32-bit Windows 10 to 64-bit Windows 10

Smittychat., Apr 29, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

This has probably something to do with 64 bit being designed differently from beginning.

Look at basic hardware requirements (recommended):

Here are the base Windows 10 system requirements again, which are what Windows 8.1 needs to run:
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

AndreTen, Apr 29, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    It is really impossible to determine if there is a problem from the screenshots. Making meaningful comparisons between 2 computers even with the same OS is very difficult. When they are different things even more complicated. The screenshots provide a lot of detail but it isn't clear if they are of any real relevance. What is missing is the big picture, that provided by Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory information. Looking at processes is premature and often leads nowhere.

The purpose of memory compression isn't really to reduce memory usage. I wouldn't even try to explain this in a forum post. There is no real reason to suspect there is a problem with memory compression.

LMiller7, Apr 29, 2016
  6. Cloudtime Win User
    Thanks for your answers! I have found the cause by myself: It depends on the hard drive type. There is a massive difference when the hard drive is marked as a HDD or SSD. Once I have marked the virtual hard drive in the VirtualBox settings as a SSD, it is suddenly exactly the same like in the 32 bit version and is compressing the memory like a badass. I'm confused why the other machine was already marked as a SSD, but that's a different topic.
    So, at the end I'm wondering if this memory compression behavior isn't adjustable somehow. For me it doesn't make much sense why the RAM compression isn't aggressive in low memory situations on a HDD.

Thanks for this information. Anyway, it seems still very useful during my tests and running a lot more smooth than a comparable Windows 7 machine with same RAM usage.

Cloudtime, Apr 30, 2016
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    Understand that memory compression is rather limited in scope. It does not and cannot compress memory in any process working set. Doing that would have a heavy negative impact on performance. It only works with memory that is on the modified list and at any given time there probably isn't going to be a lot of that.

I doubt there is any user control over this. If there was it would be a registry setting that very few people would be able to use intelligently. I certainly couldn't. Most people would thoroughly misuse it and blame Microsoft because things don't work the way they think they should. Understand that there is virtually nothing about memory management in Windows (or any other modern OS for that matter) that is simple.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 64 bit isn't properly compressing RAM like Windows10 32 bit - Similar Threads - bit isn't properly

2. how to change Windows10 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change Windows10 32 bit to 64 bit: My pc HP All-in-one is having 4 GB Ram . But Windows 10 32 bit was installed from the very begining to run DOS base PC program . Now how can I change / update Windows 10 32 Bit to 64 Bit....
  3. how to change Windows10 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change Windows10 32 bit to 64 bit: My pc HP All-in-one is having 4 GB Ram . But Windows 10 32 bit was installed from the very begining to run DOS base PC program . Now how can I change / update Windows 10 32 Bit to 64 Bit....
  4. how to change Windows10 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    32 bit to 64 bit: Why do all my apps suddenly turn from 64 bit to 32 bit? On Windows 11. Pls help! E.g. Steam is on 32 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/17fd69e3-2162-44d1-9acc-3d58e2ed3a23
  6. 32 bit to 64 bit

32 bit to 64 bit: I attempted to change an HP Mini 110notebook from Windows 10 32 bit Windows to Windows 10 64 bit. It originally came with Windows 7 andI later upgraded to Windows 10 but it was the 32 bit version. It hasa 64 bit CPU so I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and used it todo a...
  7. 32 bit to 64 bit

32 bit to 64 bit: i want to make my pc 64 bit but i got anti virus in my pc will my anti virus get deleted if i make my pc 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/e75ae8f8-beb8-49d2-ba0f-d1fbc2297c74
  8. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    32 bit to 64 bit: can I upgrade my 32 bit to 64 bit plz help me I nwanna play fortnite https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/67efd3f2-6406-4c88-9aa7-667bf8b42650
  9. 64 bit to 32 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit to 32 bit: Have a Asus laptop with 64 bit system loaded win10 64 bit used 89% of ram contacted Asus unit not suitable for win 10 is there a way to run win10 32 bit on a 64 bit system as this should use less ram. . 39318
  10. 32 bit or 64 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    32 bit or 64 bit: Hello,All my programs, installed and portable, are according to my system 32 bit.Since I have in mind to replace my problematic "old" computer, Will I be able to use them (install) on a 64 bit system ?Answers will be appreciatedThanks 92122