Windows 10: Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable?

Discus and support Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Did a clean install of Windows 10 in 64 Bit and now on my properties it only says 4GB of Ram are usable instead of the full 8GB. (Pic Attached)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hostelo, Nov 9, 2015.

1. hostelo Win User

Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable?

Hi,

Did a clean install of Windows 10 in 64 Bit and now on my properties it only says 4GB of Ram are usable instead of the full 8GB. (Pic Attached)

I had never seen this before and I did have Win10 installed after upgrading from 8.
    Decided to do a clean install because it had been a while.

Please Help!

Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable? [​IMG]

:)

hostelo, Nov 9, 2015
  2. WindowsOS Win User

{HOW} WINDOWS 10 32 BIT TO WINDOWS 10 64 BIT

You can use Windows 10 64 bit as long as your computer has a Minimum of 4GB ram and has 64 bit hardware. I am running Windows 10 (64 bit) on a computer with 4GB ram without any problems.

WindowsOS, Nov 9, 2015
  3. 32Bit or 64Bit

32 bits of windows Architecture can handle only 4GB's of RAM where 64 bit can handle up to some TB's.

If your computer has RAM less than 4GB, install 32 bit OS,otherwise 64 bit.

hope that helps.

Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 9, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Some how the usable RAM is restricted to 4GB. Press Win+R to open a Run prompt and then execute the command msconfig. This will open the System Configuration. Click on the Boot tab and then Advanced options. The box Maximum memory should be unchecked to allow using the maximum installed memory. If this is not your case, next thing to try is boot into BIOS and see the RAM allocation for your onboard graphics card (if any). Keep it at 512MB or 1GB maximum, you won't notice any difference with more video memory.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    More then likely you had some bad RAM to begin with. Tuxboit will allow you to create a Clonezilla USB to do a RAM test.

bro67, Nov 9, 2015
  6. hostelo Win User
    RAM was fine and I just did a clean install of windows 10

hostelo, Feb 5, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    I would still run memtest 86+ overnight, just to be safe.

You only need a 4 GB USB stick to run Clonezilla on. I like it for imaging of drives and also to have the memtest, if I have issues.

Windows had a good System test with 7. Now they are taking a lot of stuff away, so you have to keep system tools on a USB Stick or DVD. Especially if you need to adjust partitions or rescue for lost password, etc.

bro67, Feb 5, 2016
  8. hostelo Win User

Actually I opened up the CPU.
    Took the Rams out and put them back in (probably in different order)
    restarted the PC and all is back to normal

Guess i got lucky then!

Thanks for all the replies!!

Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable? [​IMG]

hostelo, Feb 5, 2016
  9. spapakons Win User
    This is known that if you remove the CPU and install it again can fix issues. This is not always the case, but sometimes works. Maybe some dirt impairs contact of some pins and reinstalling it makes better contact. Who knows? The same is true for RAM. Frequently merely changing the order of the modules eliminates issues. These are few of the weird solutions that make others wonder what we technicians did that they hadn't tried already!

spapakons, Feb 6, 2016
  10. swarfega Win User
    Try not to handle the gold contacts on the ram if you can avoid it.

swarfega, Feb 6, 2016
  11. i have the same issue.. have 8gb but can only use 4gb , not sure why

ravenfaust, May 13, 2016
  12. spapakons Win User
    If the two modules are not the same brand or same model, then one of them could be incompatible with your motherboard. First I would test each one alone to see if it works. If both work alone on the first slot, then try putting them on the next, to see if they both work at all slots. If the work at all slots alone, then you have to to examine your BIOS settings. If they are all to auto, then try upgrading the BIOS to improve compatibility. As a last resort you could try some manual RAM timing settings or even tweak the voltage a bit. There is a chance (particularly in old motherboards) that after you set manually some things, the computer won't boot. Don't panic, just remove the motherboard battery and leave it unplugged for some minutes to reset the BIOS to default, then try different settings. Needless to say that if both modules work OK in BIOS and you see 8GB total, but in Windows you only see 4GB, then Bingo! You have 32-bit Windows installed! Backup your files and drivers and then format and install the respective 64-bit version (Home or Pro) with the same key. It should activate automatically.

spapakons, May 13, 2016
  13. Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable?

nothing in the bios. and both ram is the same. i have 64 bit preview editon of windows 10..

ravenfaust, May 13, 2016
  14. spapakons Win User
    Check each module separately. Does it works? If it does, then run a memory test and see if it is 100% OK. If it is OK, test it in all memory slots. Do the same with the other module. If both work OK, but you see 4GB instead of 8GB when both are installed, then 99% you must update your BIOS. Go to motherboard's manufacturer site and download latest BIOS version (and utility if necessary). Make sure you download the BIOS for your own motherboard model AND revision. Trying to update to the wrong revision might introduce problems including screwing the BIOS and making your computer unbootable! Be very careful! The preferred update method is using the relevant BIOS tool, if applicable. The next alternative is to use a Windows utility provided by the manufacturer of the BIOS (or in rare cases directly from the BIOS manufacturer). The last resort for older motherboards, is a DOS utility, but to use it you must boot into a command prompt. You cannot use it from a command prompt window in Windows! Always update the BIOS at your own risk! Ask someone else with more experience if you are not exactly sure what you are doing.

spapakons, May 14, 2016
  15. Both sticks work, i placed one in and tested, then did the same with the other. They are both 4gb, but for some reason the computer only has 3gb usable. When i put both it, it shows 8gb, but only 3gb usable. Here is the speccy info http://speccy.piriform.com/results/H...CiuvwAfYTr00zt

ravenfaust, May 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 64 Bit only 4GB Ram Usable? - Similar Threads - Bit 4GB Ram

2. windws 10 32bit or 64 bit windows version for 4gb RAM laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windws 10 32bit or 64 bit windows version for 4gb RAM laptop: Hi guys,please I need some help.Friend asked me to clean install windows on his laptop Sony .Processor is IntelR Pentium R CPU B970 @2,30GHz with installed memory 4GB RAM.He need laptop only for browsing and Microsoft Word. No gaming.What -bit version is more propriate for...
  3. Only 3.45GB RAM usable out of installed 4GB RAM.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Only 3.45GB RAM usable out of installed 4GB RAM.: Hey, I just checked my System specs, it shows: 3.45GB ram usable out of 4GB. I surfed the net for fixes to the issue, but found only 2- the msconfig fix and BIOS fix. When i tried the msconfig fix, it still shows the same. And when i checked my UEFI BIOS, There was nothing...
  4. Why is there only 4gb usable? I'm running 64 bit. How do I fix it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is there only 4gb usable? I'm running 64 bit. How do I fix it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Wcprior1724 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j26wgj/why_is_there_only_4gb_usable_im_running_64_bit/
  5. Installed 4GB RAM but only 1.7GB usable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed 4GB RAM but only 1.7GB usable: I am having issue with the RAM, I have installed 4GB Ram on windows 10, but It shows only 1.7GB is Usable and the leftover RAM is Hardware Reserved. I Tried to swap rams but didn't work. please help my PC is working very slow due to less usable RAM available, I also tried a...
  6. Windows 10 Home 64 bit only recognizes 4GB of RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit only recognizes 4GB of RAM: Hello, I have the folowing problem: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Home 64Bits but now i see in system info that there is only 3.95 GB of 8GB available. When i looked into the taskmanager, in the tab 'memory' i see hardware reserved: 4.1GB. I called Microsoft Belgium...
  7. Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Only 4GB RAM usable out of 16? -- using Windows 10 64 bit: So I bought this computer used and just noticed that there is only 4GB of RAM available while the other 12GB is "hardware reserved". I've searched around and tried a few things but nothing is working so far. Here's what I've come up with so far: I've updated the BIOS for...
  8. 4gb RAM but only 3.47 gb usable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4gb RAM but only 3.47 gb usable: Hi, I have an ASRock H61M-VG3 Mother board with a maximum RAM amount of 16gb. I have 64bit Windows 10 Pro. I have 4gb of RAM but only 3.47 gb Usable. Does anyone know how to help because I would like it fixed because I am upgrading to 16gb Ram, and it would be ridiculous to...
  9. Only 3.5GB (of 4GB) RAM usable; running Win 10 x64

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Only 3.5GB (of 4GB) RAM usable; running Win 10 x64: Curious, this computer is showing me that only 3.45GB out of 4GB installed memory is actually usable by the OS. It does have Windows 10 x64. Anyone got a fix for this? Laptop CPU: AMD E1-6015 APU 25480
  10. 2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.: Hello! I've just installed my windows 10 and since it was running slow on a 2gb ram, I decided to buy a 4gb stick on my 32bit system. Long story short, it only shows 2.2gb usable. 768mb(or something close to that figure) is reserved for the videocard but I think I still...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 only 4gb ram

2. 64bit windows only has 4gb usable

3. win 10 have 8gb but system shows only 7gb windows 10

4. maximum memory usable for a mother board window 10,
  5. my pc says that from the 8gb of ram only 3.95gb is usable,
  6. windows 10 x64 8GB (4GB usable),
  7. win10 x64 only reading 4gb ram,
  8. windows 10 only 4gb available,
  9. download program open 4gb ram and 8gb ram select boot,
  10. Windows 10 on 4GB,
  11. windows 64 only 4 gb ram,