Windows 10: Windows 10-64 version 1903, HP Envy 13-aq0045cl Power Throttling under CPU Load

Discus and support Windows 10-64 version 1903, HP Envy 13-aq0045cl Power Throttling under CPU Load in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I would like to know how to disable "battery saving" CPU downclocking on my HP Envy 13-aq0045cl serial number 8CG9177Z3X with Win10 Home. Upon a fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by aerosplat, Jul 12, 2019.

1. aerosplat Win User

Windows 10-64 version 1903, HP Envy 13-aq0045cl Power Throttling under CPU Load

I would like to know how to disable "battery saving" CPU downclocking on my HP Envy 13-aq0045cl serial number 8CG9177Z3X with Win10 Home. Upon a fresh boot, this computer increases CPU clock speed when under load as is advertised by HP (my desired mode of operation), but after a short while (10 to 30 minutes), it INSTANTLY (like a switch flip) reverses its throttling scheme such that the CPU clock is significantly reduced when under load (performance behavior never mentioned in HP's advertisement glossy for this computer and definitely NOT my desired behavior). I've seen the clock drop lower than 300MHz when applications (Chrome or Firefox) are started which causes serious interruptions in audio playing in the background. This performance is unacceptable. Each time this happens, I can only restore proper performance by rebooting the computer, but after another 10 to 30 minutes, it flips its throttling scheme again and performance becomes unacceptable. The CPU downclocking mode NEVER reverses itself; once the downclocking mode starts, it's as if Windows gets stuck in this mode and only a reboot will fix it (and only temporarily at that).

I am not running any computationally intense applications on this computer (e.g. no video games or other real-time rendering applications). I am mostly running web browsers when the CPU throttling becomes problematic and almost always have a background audio stream running which gets totally destroyed when the CPU downclocks.

So far, I have done the following to try to fix this behavior:
    (1) Within Windows "Power Settings", I have configured the plugged-in "minimum processor state" to 100% and "system cooling policy" to "Active".
    (2) I've ensured the latest BIOS is installed (Insyde F.05-04/29/2019).
    (3) I've ensured I've got all of the latest device drivers installed.
    (4) I've performed diagnostics with "Core Temp" version 1.14 to confirm CPU downclocking is not due to high CPU core temperatures.
    (5) I've tested the computer with higher wattage power supplies to ensure the computer itself isn't limited by power supply capacity.
    (6) I have added a registry key "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerThrottling" with DWORD "PowerThrottlingOff" set to 1.
    (7) Within the group policy editor (gpedit.msc), I have set "Local Computer Policy/Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Power Management/Power Throttling Settings/Turn Off Power Throttling" to "Enabled".

One thing I have been unable to do is confirm Power Throttling is disabled in the BIOS. Unfortunately, the BIOS settings don't include this option so I can't tell if Power Throttling is enabled or disabled in the BIOS and, if it is enabled, I can't turn it off.

I've chatted extensively with HP Support regarding this issue. Here's what I was told:

(1) While the BIOS presents no user-selectable option for "Power Throttling", the BIOS is enforcing "Auto" for this setting. Setting "Power Throttling" to "Auto" within the BIOS leaves total control of power throttling to the Operating System.

(2) HP can't be expected to make statements about computer performance when running "3rd party" (non HP) software like Firefox, Chrome, and Microsoft Office.

(3) To continue my pursuit for a solution through official HP channels, I must open an account with "Tier 2 Support" (something called "Smart Friend", a pay-for-service support option).

I really like this laptop and I'd like to keep it. I just need to know how to REALLY disable Power Throttling so that it will work properly for longer than 10 to 30 minutes following a reboot. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

:)

aerosplat, Jul 12, 2019

2. HP Envy Laptop 13-ad1xx Windows April 1803 Update

Hi,

I was just wondering if my HP Envy Laptop 13-ad1xx has made some sort of can't install update list at Microsoft? I have been getting:

Microsoft: Your PC hardware is not supported on this version of Windows 10. Contact your PC manufacturer for more information.

My laptop is listed as tested and compatible on HP's website. I am currently running Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.371).

I'll wait it out for a while and see if it ends up working but mostly just curious if anyone else is having this problem. I did upgrade from the stock Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro via Microsoft Store if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

RobRiley73, Jul 12, 2019
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    HP Envy Laptop Battery not charging after Windows 10 installation

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I suggest you to un-install and re-install battery drivers from Device manager and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Device Manager.
    • Expand Batteries and right click on Batteries ACPI and click on Un-install.
    • Restart the computer and check.

If the issue persist, I suggest you to visit HP Envy website and check whether HP has released any firmware updates for Windows 10. If so, please go ahead and install them and check with the issue.

Yaqub K, Jul 12, 2019
  4. Windows 10-64 version 1903, HP Envy 13-aq0045cl Power Throttling under CPU Load

Battery Problem { hp envy 15}

Hi Mohsin,

I am sorry to know that you have been facing battery issue for 2 months.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

Try to run the Power Troubleshooter.

Power troubleshooter will automatically fix some common issues with Power Plans. Run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings,
    which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows Logo Key+X then click on Search option.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on
      System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.
    If the issue persist, then I suggest you to try the steps provided in the link below ad check. If you cant perform few steps on your own please check with HP.

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10):

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows) | HP® Customer Support

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge:

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge | HP® Customer Support

Please get back to us with the results to assist you further.

Thank you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10-64 version 1903, HP Envy 13-aq0045cl Power Throttling under CPU Load

1. Windows 10-64 version 1903, HP Envy 13-aq0045cl Power Throttling under CPU Load - Similar Threads - version 1903 Envy

2. HP ENVY Laptop 13-aq

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP ENVY Laptop 13-aq: I have an HP Envy laptop HP ENVY Laptop 13-ba 2020 - the touch screen has stopped working.The system info shows no touchscreen. Word is also not detecting pen input.No pen or touch input is available for this display. The HID - Touch screen is not showing even when showing...
  3. HP ENVY Laptop 13-aq

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP ENVY Laptop 13-aq: I have an HP Envy laptop HP ENVY Laptop 13-ba 2020 - the touch screen has stopped working.The system info shows no touchscreen. Word is also not detecting pen input.No pen or touch input is available for this display. The HID - Touch screen is not showing even when showing...
  4. Hp printer HP Envy 4520. WIndows 10 64.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hp printer HP Envy 4520. WIndows 10 64.: My Hp Envy Printer will no longer print in color, only black. I goto preferrences. Now I get an error code and have no idea what it means... HELP PLEASE!!!Function Address 0x00007ff860244fd9 caused a problem faultexception code 0xe06d7363The application property sheet pages...
  5. Hp printer HP Envy 4520. WIndows 10 64.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hp printer HP Envy 4520. WIndows 10 64.: My Hp Envy Printer will no longer print in color, only black. I goto preferrences. Now I get an error code and have no idea what it means... HELP PLEASE!!!Function Address 0x00007ff860244fd9 caused a problem faultexception code 0xe06d7363The application property sheet pages...
  6. Hp printer HP Envy 4520. WIndows 10 64.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Processor throttling under load

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Processor throttling under load: Good Afternoon, Since installing the 20h2 update my CPU i7-8700k throttles down too 0.78ghz under load. This happens gradually, but is not linked to the temperature as the chip us only hitting 31oC and is water-cooled, I've never had this issue before. My CPU is OC'd to...
  8. windows 10 power throttling AMD cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 power throttling AMD cpu: Is there any way to stop windows 10 throttling down down clocking an AMD A10 cpu on a lenovo ideapad laptop perhaps windows cannot control the fan speed and resorts to passive cooling i.e. down clocking HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power DWORD 32-bit...
  9. BSOD W10 Pro 1903 on HP Envy (HP ENVY x360)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD W10 Pro 1903 on HP Envy (HP ENVY x360): Hello, My wife is facing many BSOD and I am not able to solve. I've tried to update all the drivers and read many forum, but I have not been able to solve and even worst I have no clue (i beleive this is due to a SSD issue or a problem when runing under the battery, i.e not...
  10. Loading Windows 10 version 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Loading Windows 10 version 1903: I Keep having problems loading windows 10 version 1903 and I have used the trouble shooting but this still keeps on happening. Please forward how to fix this ploblem....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HP Envy 13aq0045cl