Windows 10: Windows 10 64bit 1909 - search window, start menu not working, can't download anything

Discus and support Windows 10 64bit 1909 - search window, start menu not working, can't download anything in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I'm really hoping someone can suggest something as I'm running out of ideas. My problems started when I started getting BSODs whenever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TimF77, Jan 18, 2020.

1. TimF77 Win User

Windows 10 64bit 1909 - search window, start menu not working, can't download anything

Hi there,

I'm really hoping someone can suggest something as I'm running out of ideas. My problems started when I started getting BSODs whenever restarting or booting, with the KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error message. I gave up trying to troubleshoot this, and reluctantly decided a clean windows install would be needed.

I ran the windows troubleshooting tool and reset Windows. Initially all seemed fine, I ran the windows updates and then almost immediately the following things started happening:

• start menu and search bar stopped responding or the start menu would carry on working but the control panel button would stop working
    • Edge would open and then immediately close again, or not open at all
    • Selecting windows update from the control panel would not do anything
    • The mouse and/or keyboard would keep freezing up
    • Downloads would not start unable to download anything

That was all on build 1903. I then found out that 1903 had some known issues, so:

I've now managed to reinstall Windows using the media creation tool, so it's a completely fresh install, on a newly partitioned and formatted drive. Installed latest windows updates, and am on build 1909 18363.592. At the moment I still have the following problems:

• Windows search field next to start menu doesn't work, won't allow input
    • Start menu opens after several seconds
    • Settings button in start menu doesn't work
    • Downloads don't start unable to download anything

I have no idea what is going on here - I've never encountered this array of problems with windows before, and it's incredibly frustrating. I can't continue with reinstalling all of my software and drivers until I know that the Windows installation is stable and working, and at the moment it isn't.

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions on what the problem is!

Many thanks,

TimF

:)

TimF77, Jan 18, 2020

2. Windows 10 download speed issues

Try this method:
    • First of all from Start Menu, open Settings (Type settings in the search bar and it will appear).
    • locate and select “Update and Security“.
    • in this window, Locate “Advanced Options”. Click on it.
    • In Advanced Options; Click on “Choose How Updates are Delivered“.
    • Turn off Updates from more than one place.
    Your system will not work as a seeder for other Windows 10 users. It will give sudden boast to your Slow internet speed.

lorraine walsh, Jan 18, 2020
  3. scevism Win User
    scevism, Jan 18, 2020
  4. Jetster Win User

Windows 10 64bit 1909 - search window, start menu not working, can't download anything

Jetster, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 64bit 1909 - search window, start menu not working, can't download anything - Similar Threads - 64bit 1909 search

2. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: Hello, good day to everyone...My windows search bar doesn't work like before. When I click it and type something it just freezes for few seconds and then closes by itself. It's hard life without a search bar, please help me, thanks.Edit: I've had similar issues before, but...
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: Hello, good day to everyone...My windows search bar doesn't work like before. When I click it and type something it just freezes for few seconds and then closes by itself. It's hard life without a search bar, please help me, thanks.Edit: I've had similar issues before, but...
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: In recent days windows10 start menu search option is not working i tried with 3 different environments so please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-search-not-working/2089c103-8f7e-4d9d-baf6-42c766bc6afe
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu search not working: In recent days windows10 start menu search option is not working i tried with 3 different environments so please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-search-not-working/2089c103-8f7e-4d9d-baf6-42c766bc6afe
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu search not working

in Cortana
  7. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working?: Hi, My name is Santosh. I have facing Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working? at first, the search menu would not even appear, now it appears but does not work....
  8. Can't search anything using Windows Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't search anything using Windows Start menu: Hi, I can't search anything using Windows start. Never had this problem before. It's slowing me down a lot. [ATTACH] Type anything and I'll get nothing on the start menu. Please help! TIA!...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Working: I was reluctant to run the update August 30, 2019—KB4512941 to and for good reasons after having to reinstall window on my HP Workstation. Now Fast forward a month and surly the issues must be resolved ? Well after install the update on my workstation laptop now the...
  10. Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?: Either the Windows 10 start menu really sucks or I am using it wrong. I am used to the StartisBack/Windows 7 menu where you can pin anything and all applications will come up in search results. In the Windows 10 menu, I can't pin anything to the start menu that's not already...