Windows 10: Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot. Either Boot see other OS. Is this sensible?

Discus and support Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot. Either Boot see other OS. Is this sensible? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot PC using the only Hard Drive. Many thanks to those who enabled me to achieve this. When the PC is booted into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nolly1959, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Nolly1959 Win User

Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot. Either Boot see other OS. Is this sensible?

I have a Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot PC using the only Hard Drive. Many thanks to those who enabled me to achieve this.

When the PC is booted into Windows 10 or 7, certain programs can see the other Drive (OS). For example, Windows 10 built-in defragmentor, Defraggler and BitDefender. So, I could defrag my 'D Drive' from my 'C Drive'; is this wise? If it is unwise then how can I hide the Drive (OS) that is not the booted one.

Note that BitDefender checks both the C and D Drives irrespective of what the Boot Drive is!

Thanks, Norman

:)

Nolly1959, Oct 26, 2017
  2. kgash Win User

Windows 10 Disappeared as Dual Boot Option

I am using Windows 10 Technical Preview in a dual boot system with Windows 7. My Boot Configuration Data (BCD) is set to choose either OS at bootup. After upgrading to the latest build of Windows 10 (10532), the BCD no longer works correctly. Now I see
    only Windows 7 as a possible boot choice.

I have tried a number of things with partial success but none of the fixes survive a reboot. I can boot into Windows 10 by first doing a

Repair Computer from my Windows 7 rescue disk. When the repair process completes and the system boots, both OS appear in the boot screen and I can get into Windows 10. Once I restart the computer, the BCD reverts to only Windows 7.

EasyBCD does not even see another OS to add.

kgash, Oct 26, 2017
  3. OS gives an BOOT error or some other serious problem and EMS

OMG I JUST SAID A FEW POSTS UP "if so how would i be able to add Phoenix OS to the boot manager config in windows 10 UEFI" SO OBVIOSLY I HAVE THE DUAL BOOT FILES SITTING ON MY LAPTOP HDD IN ANOTHER PARTITION BUT IT IS NOT CURRENTLY SET UP FOR DUALBOOTING
    AS WITH EVERY TIME U INSTALL OR REINSTALL AN OS (MAINLY WINDOWS) THE BCD RESETS AND ERASES ALL INFORMATION AND REPLACES IT WITH THE OS UR INSTALLING'S INFO, WHEN I WAS IN WINDOWS 7 EVERY TIME I RESET MY PC TO FACTORY STATE I HAD TO REINSTALL THE OS (run the
    phoenix 1.7.0 beta.exe) JUST TO GET IT TO DUAL BOOT AGAIN, BASICALLY IT IS LIKE THIS

INSTALL NEW WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

REINSTALL WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

DOWNGRADE WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

UPGRADE WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

REASON Y? THE BCD IS EDITED WHILE INSTALLING AN OS AND DEPENDING ON THE OS INSTALL SETTINGS IF IT HAS ANY, IT EITHER INSTALLS AS DUALBOOT WITH A SPECIFIC OS, EG DUALBOOT WINDOWS 10 AND WINDOWS 7, DUALBOOT WITH UR EXISTING OS('S), OR ONLY LAUNCH THE OS ITSELF
    (eg upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 and u will loose ur dualboot config and nolonger be able to dual boot until u rerun the installer u used to install the dualboot os wich i have not done yet)

MatthewGood, Oct 26, 2017
  4. Jimmyb Win User

If you wish to hide the other OS drive, using the admin tools "Computer Management"/"Disk Management" - Change Drive Letter - Remove; this means the drive would not be seen is explorer.

As to sensible, no idea, but I would not do it.

Jimmyb, Oct 26, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's strictly a matter of personal preference. No harm will be done by removing the other OS drive letter unless you have links actually pointing to that drive letter.

NavyLCDR, Oct 26, 2017
  6. Nolly1959 Win User
    Jimmyb & NavyLCDR, Thank you for your advice. Have booted each OS and removed the drive letter for the non-booted partition.
    I can only see the booted drive in such programs as Defraggler which makes me feel more comfortable. With BitDefender, only the booted drive is being checked which makes the operation much quicker. This behaviour is as expected and is my preference.

Cheers,
    Norman

Nolly1959, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 / 7 Dual Boot. Either Boot see other OS. Is this sensible? - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Either

2. Dual-Boots OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Boots OS: Hello, I am a Gamer Who is Having a Very Old PC bought at 2012 I am Using Windows 10, My PC Has 2GB RAM, and 2.8GHz Intel Pentium Processor. Windows 10 uses huge amount of ram, especially Windows Security Uses it. Normally, The Windows 10 Uses Half Of My RAM 47~60%...
  3. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  4. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  5. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  6. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  7. seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10: Thanks in advance for any thoughts, I have a dualboot win 7/10 machine, each system is on it's own ssd, programs are in 2 different folders on a 3rd ssd,all is working fine except: when i'm in 7 I can see the 10 drive which is labeled "E" but i cannot see 7 which is labeled...
  8. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  9. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...