Windows 10: Windows 10/7 VPN DNS issues

Discus and support Windows 10/7 VPN DNS issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi experts, Recently I find an interesting symptom. Probably not a news to you but I can't find a related posting online. When connecting to a VPN... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HaochouT, Mar 15, 2020.

1. HaochouT Win User

Windows 10/7 VPN DNS issues

Hi experts,

Recently I find an interesting symptom. Probably not a news to you but I can't find a related posting online.

When connecting to a VPN server, embedded NIC still use ISP's or local router's DNS while attached wired or wireless NIC use VPN assigned DNS as the default DNS server.

We test it in three different machines.

Company VPN server: Windows 2016 RRA, L2TP

machine 1 Lenovo mT720 with corporate win10 pro image applied: Use embedded NIC connecting to internet and then connect VPN. Can't resolve company inter DNS. Running nslookup and find the default DNS is 10.0.0.1 which is our test router ip.

machine 2 Lenovo mT720 out-of-box with OEM win10 pro: same result as machine 1.

machine 3 Dell 5070 out-of-box with OEM win10 pro: same result as machine 1.

But for 3 machines above, if we unplug network cable and plug in a USB wifi adapter, then connect to the VPN server using the same VPN profile, it can resolve company internal DNS and showing company DNSassigned by VPN server as the default one when running nslookup.

Any suggestion to fix it when using embedded NIC?

thank you

Andy

:)

HaochouT, Mar 15, 2020
  2. Knoxx29 Win User

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Mar 15, 2020
  3. marv Win User
    Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak)

Hello,

when I connect to VPN, I receive DNS servers, but windows primarily uses DNS servers configured on my LAN connection (checked with nslookup). This is problem when I am accessing same hostname, which has internal IP in VPN.

I tried to change network adapters order in ncpa.cpl, but it does not seem to be working. It displays still same order despite of how I change it and confirm with OK.

Checking in regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Linkage\Bind,
    after connecting VPN, one entry gets added on top of the list, I assume that is dialed connection.

Setting DNS servers manually in VPN does not work, I am unable to edit procotol settings in VPN connection.

Anyone have some solution for this ?

4. Windows 10/7 VPN DNS issues

Windows 10 DNS leak

Sorry if this has been addressed previously but on moving to W10 I've noticed my VPN (Freedome) no longer is sufficient to stop DNS leaks. I know it's to do with the parallel DNS resolution nature of W10 but I'd like to know what VPN works with W10 to prevent DNS leaks and/or if someone can take me through the process of using an Open VPN based config.

I tried installing Open VPN but my knowledge base on that front is too minimal and I get quickly lost.

Any ideas?

Or do I just get an Open VPN based product and insert the fix-dns-leak.dll from ValdikSS?

the54thvoid, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10/7 VPN DNS issues

1. Windows 10/7 VPN DNS issues - Similar Threads - VPN DNS issues

2. Always On VPN DNS resolution problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Always On VPN DNS resolution problem: Hi we set up Always On VPN in force-tunnel mode. Server side is RRAS on Win Server 2019, client is Win 10. The customer use split DNS, that means the same FQDN points to a different IPs depending if you are in an inside or outside network. Everything works fine but there...
  3. DNS only VPN for windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DNS only VPN for windows 10?: Is there any vpn only for dns? My isp blocked reddit so I want to use 1.1.1.1 but I can't figure it out how to use it on Dial-Up connection (pppoe). I changed dns on ipv4 but doesn't work that way. I tried on my phone using 1.1.1.1 app it worked. If there was an app only for...
  4. Windows 10 AlwaysOn VPN & DNS registration/resolution

Windows 10 AlwaysOn VPN & DNS registration/resolution: Hi there, I'm setting up AlwaysOn VPN device tunnel with split tunnelling. All clients are Windows 10 Enterprise 1909, RRAS servers are Windows Server 2019 Standard. XML profile is push through Microsoft Endpoint Management custom configuration profile. By custom profile...
  5. DNS Issues

DNS Issues: lost of internet connection due to DNS issues, how do I resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-issues/6689bee1-7d92-49a6-91ea-710d8111c2b3
  6. Windows 10 under vpn leak isp dns

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 under vpn leak isp dns: The problem with Windows 10 under VPN at check on the websites dnsleaktest or other I see IP VPN of service but DNS which has to be VPN of service I see DNS of the provider. I tried 3 different provider, 3 different VPN of service and all the same problem I see the DNS. A...
  7. VPN always on DNS config

VPN always on DNS config: Hi All, Windows10 client (1703) / RRAS 2016 Our VPN solution requires that we honor our split DNS configuration. We deliver our VPN configuration via an XML. our intended split dns configuration is: <DomainNameInformation> <DomainName>.splitdomain.com</DomainName>...
  8. DNS Server Issue with Windows 10

DNS Server Issue with Windows 10: Since the May update of Window 10 internet hasn't worked on my PC. I get the following error: "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)" How do I fix?...
  9. VPN Problems Change DNS

VPN Problems Change DNS: I create a VPN windows built, and cant change the DNS on tcp/ip propreties. Dont open. Anyone can test it? PS: Im on virtual machine. 10127
  10. Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak)

Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak): Hello, when I connect to VPN, I receive DNS servers, but windows primarily uses DNS servers configured on my LAN connection (checked with nslookup). This is problem when I am accessing same hostname, which has internal IP in VPN. I tried to change network adapters order...