Windows 10: Windows 10 absolutely refuses to recognize 4 SSDs as SSDs

Discus and support Windows 10 absolutely refuses to recognize 4 SSDs as SSDs in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; 4 of my 8 SSDs have their "Media type" in Defragment and Optimise Drives set to HDD. I feel like I've tried every troubleshooting step you can and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nikdog, Apr 12, 2021.

1. /u/nikdog Win User

Windows 10 absolutely refuses to recognize 4 SSDs as SSDs

4 of my 8 SSDs have their "Media type" in Defragment and Optimise Drives set to HDD. I feel like I've tried every troubleshooting step you can and I absolutely can't get it to switch to the proper media type.

Tried:

Get-PhysicalDisk

Number FriendlyName SerialNumber MediaType CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage Size

------ ------------ ------------ --------- ------- ----------------- ------------ ----- ----

0 ATA SATA SSD xxxxxxxxxxxxxx SSD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 894.25 GB

4 ATA WDC WD20EARX-32P xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx HDD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 1.82 TB

1 ATA TOSHIBA-TR150 xxxxxxxxxxxx SSD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 447.13 GB

7 OCZ-TRIO N150 xxxxxxxxxxxx Unspecified False OK Healthy Auto-Select 223.57 GB

10 WD My Passport 25E1 xxxxxxxxxxxx HDD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 931.48 GB

3 ATA PSM-1TBSATA3SSD2 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx SSD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 953.87 GB

6 OCZ-TRIO N150 xxxxxxxxxxxx Unspecified False OK Healthy Auto-Select 447.13 GB

11 WD My Passport 0830 xxxxxxxxxxxx HDD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 931.48 GB

12 Samsung Flash Drive FIT xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx HDD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 29.88 GB

2 ATA OCZ-TRION150 xxxxxxxxxxxx SSD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 223.57 GB

9 Patriot Memory xxxxxxxxxxxx HDD False OK Healthy Auto-Select 14.45 GB

8 TOSHIBA- TR150 xxxxxxxxxxxx Unspecified False OK Healthy Auto-Select 894.25 GB

5 OCZ-VECT OR180 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Unspecified False OK Healthy Auto-Select 111.79 GB

Which calls the affected SSDs Unspecified

Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "OCZ-TRIO N150" -MediaType SSD

Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "TOSHIBA- TR150" -MediaType SSD

Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "OCZ-VECT OR180" -MediaType SSD

will correct their media type according to Get-PhysicalDisk

Side note here: OCZ-VECT OR180 is a Linux SSD. Windows obviously doesn't recognize that filesystem, so for that particular drive alone I don't give a rats ass what media type Windows thinks it is. It is just 1 of the 4 SSDs being recognised as Unspecified.

After using Set-PhysicalDisk Defragment and Optimise Drives still lists the 3 Windows mountable drives as HDD. Figure I might need to reboot to reflect the changes made by Set-PhysicalDisk. Reboot. Get-PhysicalDisk shows them as Unspecified again.

Next thing I found to try was to run winsat formal. No change

winsat diskformal No change

winsat diskformal -drive E No change

defrag E: /L /U /V

The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A)

Then I went and got the OCZ SSD tool. 2 of the 4 drives needed their firmware updated, but even with that no change and the other 2 already checked out ok. Beyond that, I can't find any other suggestions on the internet. It's just an echo chamber of try winsat formal then winsat diskformal then winsat diskformal -drive X. I found a reddit post where someone had no luck with those commands too, but then defrag X: /L /U /V fixed it. For me it just bitches The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A). Not sure what else to try. I only discovered this because Avid Media Composer was frame dropping like nobody's business, and I first went to make sure the media drive was operating normally. Now I doubt media type would affect the drive speed, 6G SATA should be 6G SATA, but it does make me wonder if there is something else fundamentally wrong here. I am at a loss, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/nikdog
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nikdog, Apr 12, 2021

2. SSD Recognized In BIOS Not Windows?

I am not sure. It doesn't seem to be the SSD. I would recommend cloning and replacing the primary HDD with the SSD and then using the HDD as the secondary slot drive.

I am not sure why it refuses to recognize the SSD. Clearly the laptop has some limitation there Fujitsu is not telling you about.

TheLaughingMan, Apr 12, 2021
  3. JonOff Win User
    External SSD not recognized as SSD in Windows 10

Hello community!

(this topic applies to Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 equally)

my question concerns an external 240GB SSD drive connected to my laptop via an USB 3.0 port. The SSD works fine, but when using the "Optimize Drives" utility, the drive is listed as "Hard Disk Drive" under media type. As stated by almost all SSD manufacturers,
    standard defragmentation on a SSD can actually harm the SSD and over time reduce performance and life-cycle. A test revealed that the optimization for the external SSD is actually performed like on a regular HDD and the TRIM command is not used. This would
    also indicate that the regular TRIM commands issued by Windows are not applied to the external SSD drive either. Short of turning off automatic optimization, is there a way to tell Windows that this is an SSD drive and to treat it as such (regardless of
    the information provided by the disk- or case-controller) ?

See also picture attached -

Drive C: is a SanDisk SDSSDXP480GR131 SSD drive built in the laptop and recognized properly as an SSD.

Drive F: is Lite-On LMT-256M6M SSD drive attached via one of the USB3.0 ports and classified as regular HDD.

Windows 10 absolutely refuses to recognize 4 SSDs as SSDs 4fe8f444-305d-4198-837c-34fbdc8e50d7.png

JonOff, Apr 12, 2021
  4. Eberwurz Win User

Windows 10 isn't recognizing new SSD

On startup the BIOS initializes the communication to the hardware and then hands it over to the OS. If the BIOS cannot see the SSD the OS (Windows) usually cannot either.

Your pc runs the newer UEFI per default but can revert to BIOS:

Check the BIOS settings if you can find anything about Legacy BIOS or UEFI.

Try changing it, reboot to test, then change it back and see if the SSD shows up in preboot.

Also some Mainboards have a SATA mode settings. Change that around to see if it makes a difference.

Once the SSD gets recognized its only a small step to get it mounted in Windows.

However it might not be possible to directly boot from the SSD using UEFI or even BIOS since the previous Installation cloned to it was stored on an SSHD and not an SSD which could cause problems.

My advise would be to perform a new Installation to the SSD once it gets recognized.

Eberwurz, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 absolutely refuses to recognize 4 SSDs as SSDs - Similar Threads - absolutely refuses recognize

2. a question about ssds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a question about ssds: i want to know that will my ssds suddenly fail or be unable to write, i got a laptop which is only has two m.2 nvme slots and i also added second ssd, so should i worry about unexpectable failure after a long time having written files on it or it can give signals of upcoming...
  3. a question about ssds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    a question about ssds: i want to know that will my ssds suddenly fail or be unable to write, i got a laptop which is only has two m.2 nvme slots and i also added second ssd, so should i worry about unexpectable failure after a long time having written files on it or it can give signals of upcoming...
  4. M2 SSDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M2 SSDs: Motherboard: Intel B560Processor: i511400OS: Windows 11SSD: Western Digital 2TBWindows won’t recognize me M2 SSD and I’m not sure why, I went to disk management and nothing. I went to the BIOS and it’s not showing there either. I used the cmd tool and put in the command’ disk...
  5. M2 SSDs

M2 SSDs: Motherboard: Intel B560Processor: i511400OS: Windows 11SSD: Western Digital 2TBWindows won’t recognize me M2 SSD and I’m not sure why, I went to disk management and nothing. I went to the BIOS and it’s not showing there either. I used the cmd tool and put in the command’ disk...
  6. 2 ssds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 ssds: Hi. My pc is showing 2 ssds but I only have 1 ssd. How can i get rid of this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-ssds/6eaec8db-61a6-4e48-86da-fe7170c83e69
  7. 2 ssds

2 ssds: Hi. My pc is showing 2 ssds but I only have 1 ssd. How can i get rid of this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-ssds/6eaec8db-61a6-4e48-86da-fe7170c83e69
  8. 2 ssds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. RSTe Not Recognizing NVME SSDs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RSTe Not Recognizing NVME SSDs: Good day all! This is my first post here so I'll tag the intro on top. I'm Matthew Bourguignon. I own a small computer biz in Auburn, Alabama called BourgTech. I started doing business in 2011 in Daytona Beach, Florida. I've been tinkering with computers since I was 10 and I...
  10. 2 SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 SSDs: Hello Here is the mather. I have 2 SSDs. One is 250go ( where everything is automaticly installed) and another one is 1000go. I would like to transfert everything on my 1TO because the 250Go is 3/4 full. I saw couple of tutorials about images on this forum but it was 2017...