Windows 10: Windows 10 acting weird after clean install on SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 acting weird after clean install on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my SSD and i'm starting to wish i would've never done that - it caused a bunch of problems for me, one of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Daten126, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Daten126 Win User

Windows 10 acting weird after clean install on SSD

Hi, I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my SSD and i'm starting to wish i would've never done that - it caused a bunch of problems for me, one of which is the following: i can't install any games from the Xbox app on my external drive a WD_Black P10 Game Drive, but i could before installing Windows on my SSD, that's the weird part.
    If i want to install games on my external drive, the Xbox app requires me to format it, but with the amount of things i have on it and the fact that it worked perfectly before this is just NOT happening.
    The bigger problem this reinstallation caused is that now i need an administrator permission for... basically everything. It doesn't make any sense because i am the only user of my PC, therefore i'm the administrator, i don't get why everything changed regarding this.

My old Windows is still on my regular HDD, could that be the reason ?? Some friends recommended me to format my HDD as well, but that will be the same answer as for my external drive, this just can't happen - i have waaay too many things on my HDD including lots of files that i ignore the purpose of, i wouldn't want to accidentally delete any sensitive file such as saves that i haven't moved etc.
    I know that i might be a bit vague and that blocking some solutions is not helping at all but i just don't want to waste more time on this, I mean all i did was installing windows on another drive, there shouldn't be any stupid problem like this.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

:)

Daten126, Feb 21, 2021
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Feb 21, 2021
  3. Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Windows 10 acting weird after clean install on SSD

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 acting weird after clean install on SSD

1. Windows 10 acting weird after clean install on SSD - Similar Threads - acting weird clean

2. SSD with Windows 10 installed acting quirky

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD with Windows 10 installed acting quirky: Recently, while I left my pc on and went to go do something else, I came back to my pc noting that it had frozen in the motherboard "AsRock" screen. I turned it off, turned it back on and was met with a Windows Blue Screen, the last one I would receive from that SSD. This SSD...
  3. SSD with Windows 10 installed acting quirky

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD with Windows 10 installed acting quirky: Recently, while I left my pc on and went to go do something else, I came back to my pc noting that it had frozen in the motherboard "AsRock" screen. I turned it off, turned it back on and was met with a Windows Blue Screen, the last one I would receive from that SSD. This SSD...
  4. SSD with Windows 10 installed acting quirky

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.: Unable to boot, getting the following error message from startup repair;Startup repair Log File: D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt Tried to use all other methods found, none have worked....
  6. Windows 10 acting weird after restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 acting weird after restart: Please help! I restarted my Windows 10 so I could change some settings and stop it from lagging. When I started it back up and logged in, I wasn't connected to the wifi which im usually always connected to. I tried to turn up the volume but It wasnt working and said "The...
  7. HDD acting weird after Windows 10 install.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD acting weird after Windows 10 install.: I've installed Windows 10 for the first time, clean. Now in my boot order I have a Windows Boot Manager. If I use that my computer opens, but if I use my HDD, it tells me to reboot and select proper boot device. Is this normal? Is this caused by the fact I didn't remove the...
  8. Windows 10 is acting weird

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 is acting weird: Yesterday i noticed that some things are not working properly so i checked windows defender and i noticed there was one threat that i cannot delete, i didn't think much about that and i format windows and the partition where it was installed. But the problem is still there i...
  9. Screens acting weird after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screens acting weird after Windows 10 Update: Last night I shut down my computer and it auto updated. I then get on this afternoon to some odd occurances. The first is that my main monitor shows "no signal" when connected and turned on. I decided to unplug my 2nd monitor and use the HDMI cable from that monitor so I...
  10. windows 10 acting weird

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 acting weird: for the past couple of days now my pc a sony vaio desktop with windows 10 has been acting weird slow to boot up, no text showing in my files, my Web browsers are also not working and when I shut my pc down I get a blue screen no idea what to do ? [img] 105437