Windows 10: Windows 10 acting weird, no sound and cannot open start menu

Discus and support Windows 10 acting weird, no sound and cannot open start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, So yesterday I suddenly started experiencing a series of problems with my laptop. Everything was fun until I tried to open a folder (which I use a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by r08, Mar 4, 2018.

1. R08
    r08 Win User

Windows 10 acting weird, no sound and cannot open start menu

Hi,
    So yesterday I suddenly started experiencing a series of problems with my laptop. Everything was fun until I tried to open a folder (which I use a lot) and I got an error message saying
    I tried clicking on the folder multiple times and kept getting that message. After that I tried restarting, as I thought it was a simple glitch, but after I restarted I got the message again, plus other problems:
    1. The start menu would not open. I click on the button and nothing happens, even if I use the windows button on my keyboard.
    2. Sound was gone. "No Audio Output Device is installed." Inserting headphones does nothing. When I click on the sound icon in the task bar I get a troubleshooting window, which gives me an error: "Scripted Diagnostics Native Host has stopped working."
    3. Cortana doesn't work either. The box opens but when I type nothing happens.
    4. I keep getting the hourglass cursor for no reason.

Does anyone know what is going on? This laptop isn't even a month old, and I haven't installed any updates in the past week or anything.
    Also I cannot do a system restore because I haven't set it up yet.
    Any ideas?

:)

2. Windows 10 acting weird, no sound and cannot open start menu

Hi r-08,

If your Windows 10 installation is demonstrating unusual behavior, it is advisable to perform a repair upgrade.

A repair upgrade is the process of installing Windows 10 over the existing installation of Windows 10 on your hard disk. Performing this will repair broken operating system files while preserving your apps, files, and settings.

You may refer to this
    forum article
    for more details on how you can perform a repair upgrade.

Feel free to contact us if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Mar 4, 2018
  3. r-08 Win User

Hi,

So yesterday I suddenly started experiencing a series of problems with my laptop. Everything was fun until I tried to open a folder (which I use a lot) and I got an error message saying

"Location is not available": "Folder is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I tried clicking on the folder multiple times and kept getting that message. After that I tried restarting, as I thought it was a simple glitch, but after I restarted I got the
    message again, plus other problems:

1. The start menu would not open. I click on the button and nothing happens, even if I use the windows button on my keyboard.

2. Sound was gone. "No Audio Output Device is installed." Inserting headphones does nothing. When I click on the sound icon in the task bar I get a troubleshooting window, which gives me an error: "Scripted
    Diagnostics Native Host has stopped working."

3. Cortana doesn't work either. The box opens but when I type nothing happens.

4. I keep getting the hourglass cursor for no reason.

Does anyone know what is going on? This laptop isn't even a month old, and I haven't installed any updates in the past week or anything.

Also I cannot do a system restore because I haven't set it up yet.

Any ideas?

[Moved from:
    Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers]

r-08, Mar 4, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, despite the laptop being new, based on your notes, please
    a. Check your disk
    Preferably download and install Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI (very clear indication)
    To post a screenshot please use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon
    or use Crystal Diskinfo (portable version is available).b. If ok, from an admin command prompt run
    chkdsk c: /scan
    and report the summary result
    c. If ok, from an admin command prompt run
    sfc /scannow
    and report the summary result.

If all the above pass, then please create a new user for test purposes, log in as that user and check those symptoms and advise.

Note I don't know what sort of disk you have- please advise.

Please also post a screenshot of your Update History.

What is your Windows build?
    Window key + R, winver

Thanks.

dalchina, Mar 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 acting weird, no sound and cannot open start menu - Similar Threads - acting weird sound

2. Keyboard started acting weird

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard started acting weird: I have an Asus E410 laptop. It was perfectly normal when suddenly, a few minutes ago, the keyboard started glitching. Some keys appear to be mapped to other keys functionally, my web pages will randomly start scrolling, and links will randomly click. Keep in mind that I am...
  3. Keyboard started acting weird

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard started acting weird: I have an Asus E410 laptop. It was perfectly normal when suddenly, a few minutes ago, the keyboard started glitching. Some keys appear to be mapped to other keys functionally, my web pages will randomly start scrolling, and links will randomly click. Keep in mind that I am...
  4. Mouse starts acting weird on laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse starts acting weird on laptop.: I have a Lenovo laptop with IntelR CeleronR N4120 1.10GHz CPU, 4G of RAM, and a 60G Drive. I use a corded optical mouse and a 4T external drive. I upgraded to Windows 11 after getting it new mid last year because it said it was compatible but had to revert to Windows 10 in...
  5. Cannot open Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open Start Menu: Hello, I have a problem opening start menu. It doesn't open. Search box does not work or works only sometimes. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-start-menu/bf8558fd-65f8-4b66-8c4b-c5ede0b9666c
  6. Windows 10 is acting weird

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 is acting weird: Yesterday i noticed that some things are not working properly so i checked windows defender and i noticed there was one threat that i cannot delete, i didn't think much about that and i format windows and the partition where it was installed. But the problem is still there i...
  7. Windows 10 not starting and acting weird

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not starting and acting weird: I've ran into a major probelm. I'll describe everything that happened and I would really appreciate if someone could help. So basically today my windows just crashed. When I'm trying to restart it one of those things happen: The screen turns black and eventually the PC...
  8. Cannot open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open start menu: Hello, I have relocated my Users directory during the installation of Windows to another drive using tutorial from this forum. Everything worked perfectly. Then I wanted to upgrade the build, however due to the relocated User directory, the update failed. So I edited the...
  9. Weird Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Start Menu: Hi Guys This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I've been a member for a while now and before making my first post i've used the search facility until i ran out of keywords to use and couldn't find anything similar to my problem. I have virtually no tiles...
  10. windows 10 acting weird

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 acting weird: for the past couple of days now my pc a sony vaio desktop with windows 10 has been acting weird slow to boot up, no text showing in my files, my Web browsers are also not working and when I shut my pc down I get a blue screen no idea what to do ? [img] 105437

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 start menu acting weird

2. start menu acting weird