Windows 10: Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch.

Discus and support Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey everyone, before I switched my motherboard I got the free windows 10 upgrade from windows 7. After I switched it I now have a grey letter in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Braunzy, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Braunzy Win User

Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch.

Hey everyone, before I switched my motherboard I got the free windows 10 upgrade from windows 7. After I switched it I now have a grey letter in the bottom right stating "Activate Windows go to setting to activate windows." Which I have tried doing so and I've used the option of changing my hardware. This account was active on the PC prior to the CPU switch so It should have windows 10 attached to it. Even when I look at my account setting on the Microsoft site is states I have windows 10 home. I no longer have my old CPU so I do not have my past windows 7 key. Anyone have any suggestions?

:)

Braunzy, Jan 13, 2019
  2. KelB1 Win User

Switched Motherboards and now Windows 10 not activated

How do I reactivate Windows 10 after switching motherboards? The only option it's giving me is to put in an email address associated with the activation but I never associated an email address with my activation, I always logged in locally.

KelB1, Jan 13, 2019
  3. Switched motherboards, Windows activation error

I bought this license myself though, it didn't come associated with the motherboard. And when I attempt to go through the activation steps, it just tells me that the servers are down.

Jack Merhar, Jan 13, 2019
  4. mshimala Win User

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch. - Similar Threads - Activation motherboard switch

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change: Hello,I'm going round in circles here... I recently changed motherboard on my PC and I need to reactivate windows, I've gone through all the online troubleshooting but it now says I need to talk to a person at Microsoft to do this. There was no phone number or link to a chat...
  3. Windows 10 Activation after Motherboard switch

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation after Motherboard switch: I recently had to swap out my motherboard after the last one giving out. My windows is now inactivated and I am unable to activate again. I am able to run slmgr /ipk with my key and get a successful activation. When I try to run slmgr /ato I receive a script host error...
  4. BSoD after motherboard switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD after motherboard switch: Hello ! So today I changed my motherboard from a MSI B450M-A PRO MAX to an AORUS B550 Elite. When I booted up my PC, everything seemed normal, but a few seconds after I sign in I get a BSoD with error code SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. My theory was and still is that old drivers...
  5. Windows 10 activation after motherboard change

Windows 10 activation after motherboard change: Hey,i know this is a common problem but i haven't found a solution for this yet.I changed my hardware todaymotherboard,cpu,ram and i am trying to activate windows on this pc.It just doesn't work cause it says that "we cant find any devices linked to your microsoft account"...
  6. Windows 10 activation after motherboard replacement.

Windows 10 activation after motherboard replacement.: i recently had a motherboard failure and had to move my hdd to another pc to get back up and running. I am now seeing an error saying to activate my copy of windows. This was a free upgrade from 7 to 10 on the Microsoft website so I don't have an activation code to put in....
  7. Windows 10 Activation after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Activation after motherboard change: I recently changed motherboards and now my windows isn't activated I was signed in with a Microsoft account linked to my windows copy but it still won't let me activate it the error code is 0Xc004F211...
  8. Activating Windows 10 after motherboard change

Activating Windows 10 after motherboard change: I upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and everything was fine until I see on the screen that tells me I need to activate Windows. I use the troubleshooter but at the end don't help at all. I can't remember where I bought this windows version or where the codes are, as I...
  9. Switched motherboards, Windows activation error

Switched motherboards, Windows activation error: I replaced my motherboard today and am now getting errors when trying to activate windows now. Not really sure whats wrong, I have the same SSD with Windows from my old motherboard. I'm guessing Windows ties into the motherboard itself but I am unsure on how to go about...
  10. Activation issues after switching motherboards

Activation issues after switching motherboards: After getting a new motherboard (and making sure beforehand my Windows 10 license is linked to my Microsoft account), Windows refuses to activate. It does display part of a product key, along with an error code 0xC004C003, but I can't be sure it's my original product key...