Windows 10: Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working

Discus and support Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am trying to migrate my windows 10 license retail windows 7 that was upgraded for free to my new hardware. I have done this once before and now I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MarkWestbrook1, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working

I am trying to migrate my windows 10 license retail windows 7 that was upgraded for free to my new hardware. I have done this once before and now I am getting this error:

"We can’t activate your copy of Windows as the digital license for this device has already been used to reactivate Windows."

Am I only allowed one reactivation for my retail license?

:)

MarkWestbrook1, Oct 3, 2020
  2. Jetster Win User

Windows 10 Hardware change

Technically it should not activate if its a upgrade from an OEM license. But if you follow the phone automated number sequence hopefully it will work.

Windows 10 is tied to your hardware and you cannot upgrade a motherboard on an OEM license. (but it works with the phone activation) you can only replace the board with an identical board.

Jetster, Oct 3, 2020
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    windows activation—hardware changed siginficantly

From time to time on my thoroughbred PC, I get a Windows activation message that says my hardware changed siginificantly and I have to re-activate Windows. My hardware hasn't changed any more than a network card (went from a wireless g card to onboard lan to a wired network card), and the install is legit. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

4. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working

1. Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working - Similar Threads - activation hardware change

2. Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working: Hello,I recently bought an SSD. I installed Windows 10 Pro with a digital license and I made sure my account was linked as mentioned by Microsoft. On my fresh installation I logged in to my account and went for "troubleshoot" under update & security -> activation. I chose "I...
  3. Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working: Hello,I recently bought an SSD. I installed Windows 10 Pro with a digital license and I made sure my account was linked as mentioned by Microsoft. On my fresh installation I logged in to my account and went for "troubleshoot" under update & security -> activation. I chose "I...
  4. Windows 10 activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change

Windows 10 Activation after hardware change: I got a new motherboard and windows became unactivated. I don't have the product key and troubleshooting from settings isn't working. Is there some way it was or can be emailed to me?...
  6. Windows 10 will not activate after hardware change.

Windows 10 will not activate after hardware change.: I am getting a message on my desktop that says to activate Windows, but when I go to settings and try to activate it I get the following error: "We can't activate Windows on this device right now. you can try activating again later or go to the Store to buy genuine Windows....
  7. Activation not working after hardware change

Activation not working after hardware change: Hi. I followed the activation instructions for the hardware change, but activation does not work. I had linked the digital licence to Microsoft account before the hardware change. Now with new parts when I click the "troubleshoot" and "I changed hardware on this product...
  8. Windows 10 activation after changing hardware doesnt work

Windows 10 activation after changing hardware doesnt work: Hi I changed my windows hardware by using my activated windows 10 hard drive and inserting it into my new pc. I used troubleshooter to select "changed hardware". This didn't work and it says I don't have an email connected to my account. so I have a digital liscnece and it...
  9. Windows 10 activation after hardware change isn't working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 activation after hardware change isn't working.: I recently upgraded my PC, I installed a new motherboard, CPU, PSU and RAM. Now my windows has been deactivation and I cannot activate it. I go to Settings, search and click on Activation settings where I'm greeted with the following error: We can't activate Windows on...
  10. Activate Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activate Windows 10 after hardware change: Hello! I recently changed the motherboard in my PC, and I am unable to activate the computer. I've used this license before (upgraded from being a windows insider a few years ago), and I have changed components before without issue. I go through the troubleshooting...