Windows 10: Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement

Discus and support Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I purchased a copy of windows 10 in 2016. Now that I upgraded my ssd, the key is not being recognized. I already tried login with microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gabe_311, May 16, 2019.

1. gabe_311 Win User

Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement

Hello,

I purchased a copy of windows 10 in 2016. Now that I upgraded my ssd, the key is not being recognized.

I already tried login with microsoft account and I can't see troubleshooting button on the activation page.

Please help

Gabe

:)

gabe_311, May 16, 2019

2. Windows activation error

Hi Brandon,

Before replacing the Mother Board if Windows 10 was activated, then you can refer the steps/link below for activating Windows 10.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, May 16, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

How long did you wait for activation?
    When I re-installed with a fresh install... it took a few hours to sync and activate.
    However, it did, finally, activate.

95Viper, May 16, 2019
  4. Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement

Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, May 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement

1. Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement - Similar Threads - activation SSD replacement

2. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  3. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  4. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. After SSD replacement, the system is not activated

After SSD replacement, the system is not activated: My old PC broke down and I took the SSD drive and put it into another PC which I am using now. I have a problem with the latter PC. It requires that I activate the system though it was activated before the replacement. How can I activate the system?...
  6. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...
  7. Can't activate windows 10 after HDD replacement to SSD

Can't activate windows 10 after HDD replacement to SSD: Hello, my previous pc broke down, I placed the hard drive in a new pc and now it tells me to activate windows. Why should I rebuy windows if I don't use the old pc anymore? Does anyone have some tips?...
  8. Recovery to windows 10 after SSD replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery to windows 10 after SSD replacement: Working off Greg Carmack response from earlier question: Installed SSD (same size as original drive) Booted to: Recovery> your PC needs to be repaired> File:\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe> Error Code 0xc000000e Press Enter to try again Press F8 for startup settings...
  9. Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation

Replacing a bad SSD and Windows 10 activation: So I've had a problem with random blue screens and narrowed it down to the SSD as it has many bad blocks. Kingston approved of an RMA so I'm going to do that. How does Windows 10 activation work if I replaced the drive and have to either reinstall windows or port a backup on...
  10. Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD

Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD: Hi, My computer's SSD failed, and I just bought a SSD and installed Windows 10 on it. However, it is not activated. I originally had Windows 7, then installed Windows 8 Pro, then upgraded to Windows 10. This is all legal. However, I ran a BIOS product key checker on...